Grinding on full lock

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Today my cars started making a grinding noise when it’s on full lock in both directions when it’s moving at low speeds, it sounds a bit like a grinding noise and seems to have a “woosh” sound to it as if it’s a wheel scraping on something, I’ve checked the wheel wells and the suspension behind it but I can’t see anything untoward. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Does it also make that noise when the vehicle is stationary? If so then it might just be the steering motor, which sounds louder in an enclosed car park and entirely normal.

If it's only when moving and just as loud outside then CV joints are the most common source of noises, particularly at full lock, check if the gaiters are split and any signs of grease escaping.

Reactions: HighFlyingBird

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Does it also make that noise when the vehicle is stationary? If so then it might just be the steering motor, which sounds louder in an enclosed car park and entirely normal.

If it's only when moving and just as loud outside then CV joints are the most common source of noises, particularly at full lock, check if the gaiters are split and any signs of grease escaping.
Mine brand new car.maybe tyres touch something.i dont bother much.

HighFlyingBird

Jan 15, 2019
Leeds

Yeah it’s only while it’s moving, but when I turn the wheel while stationary there’s a really loud metal groaning/creaking noise but my other Leon did that too. Checked all the CV joints, drop links and struts best I could in this weather but didn’t see anything split or leaking

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yeah you aren’t really meant to stay on full lock too long, all cars will make a noise like that if you go full lock and hold the wheel at full lock.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yeah you aren’t really meant to stay on full lock too long, all cars will make a noise like that if you go full lock and hold the wheel at full lock.

I agree with there completely, but only with cars that have either engine powered hydraulic pumps or electric powered hydraulic pumps as they are forced into going into "pump over" as the rams have reached their "hard" end stops.

For any car with electric steering, it should not be making these noises.

HighFlyingBird

Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
I’ve not noticed it do it since that night so maybe it was just dirt stuck somewhere? Just drove to London and back (450 miles) without any issues so I guess it was nothing

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.