Grinding/scraping noise from front wheel!

Benjevw

Hey guys hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me!

After changing the wheels on my mrs's mk2 arosa tdi, a grinding/whiring/scraping noise has started! It gets quicker as you accelerate and slower when braking. I've had it all jacked up and checked the brakes,bearings ect and even the wheels and can't find anything wrong!
I swapped the old standard alloys back onto the front and the noise stopped.... Wtf's going on!!
It's been checked over by a garage aswell with no joy.

A guy said that it could be the gearbox bearing? Is that a possibility?

Or maybe because we changed the wheels from 14 to 15 it's giving the bearing Agro?

Any help would be awsome and very much appreciated

Cheers
Ben

Benjevw

Yea checked that too! That's what I thort the problem was for ages and kept checking the back of the wheel and caliper for markings ect but nothing!

Cheers
Ben

CatB1

Nov 19, 2003
Manchester
www.freeserve.com
Have you jacked the car up & spun the wheel? is the noise there? if it is it's catching on caliper/suspension etc. If it's only with weight on wheels it could be slight tyre deflection with it catching on the upright or the tyre rubbing on the arch. What size tyre's are you using? I went from 14inch standard Tdi wheel/tyres to Mk2 Cupra 16v alloys with 195/45's, they only rubbed on full lock with brand new tyre's on the arch liner.

Pete

Benjevw

Still get this shitty noise!! I'm pretty sure it's a wheel bearing though as I'm getting the same noise from the rear of my rado! So that'll be the first thing to look at. Swapping back over to the standard wheels this weekend so we'll see if the noise stops again or not .

ianswebb

My money would be on the tyre rubbing against the arch liner. As you upped the rim size, did you compensate with a lower profile tyre? Check the internal edges of the wings too.

If the noise starts at 30mph and above then its likely to be a shot bearing, jack it up, hold the top and bottom of the wheel and rock. There should be no free play if the bearing is good.

james-deane

Jan 18, 2011
Northern Ireland
Did you ever get an answer to this problem as I have a rubbing noise coming from what sounds like one of my front wheels. I have a hunch that it might be a wheel bearing but it starts from the moment you pull away.

Benjevw

Cheers for all the comments guys. Ended up swapping the wheels in the end and the noise has completely gone. Must've been rubbing on the arch liner as iansweb said :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.