GTI ruined thanks to big wheels and coilovers :(

Nick2008

Onvi tdi-cupra r wannabe!
Aug 22, 2008
gloucestershire
miss a bolt?????
hope its for the thing that the brake line gets pushed into, and not like the bolt to attach to hub....

Hi mate, its the bolts that go under the metal plate things, that are holding the top mounts down on the original suspension, hope this makes sense lol

andycupra

status subject to change
right....
ok....

so far we have confirmed that:

1) you fitted coilovers to the front only and left the rears stock.
2) you have not had tracking or geometry checked and adjusted.
3) there was play in the steering before you did this let alone now
4) you have fitted wheels too big for the car
5) the wheels rub
6) you have set the front coilovers as low as they can possibly go
7) when confronted with a bolt thats hard work you simply shrug your shoulders and think hey it matters not i just wont fit it...

and you wonder why it drives funny?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Get yourself some knowledge or a good how to first then start the job otherwise you'll run into loads of problems then it'll just be botch after botch to get it working right. Just start way back at the beginning and do it right, fix any ball joints, track rod ends or steering rack arms, remove all the old suspension struts including all the bolts then use instructions and fit all four coilovers correctly, take it to a tyre place and get the alignment done. Seriously bud you'll end up in hospital, you're talking about a tonne of metal propelled along the road, lose control and you're f****d.

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
right....
ok....

5) the wheels rub
7) when confronted with a bolt thats hard work you simply shrug your shoulders and think hey it matters not i just wont fit it...

:yes:

This makes vntx bodging sound acceptable :/

Lmao!

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
right....
ok....

5) the wheels rub

Now the way Germany looks at mod's and how they got to have certficates for everything seems like a good idea!

Missing bolt, alignment, etc... wouldn't be picked up untill the MOT and even our MOT isn't that hard on cars and really a minium condition the car needs to be in to be road legal..... then inbetween the MOT's you have idots like this doing cowboy jobs!

Seriously if you have no idea what you are doing don't attempt it! Get a garage or a mate that knows how to do the job! But a stupid thing like "I can't get this bolt off" "Ah.... I have an idea, I won't put it back on"..... It's your ****ing suspension of the car you talking about here, you don't go leaving bolts off!

Put your life as risk with your **** jobs fair enough but you could loose control (suspension failure) crash into another car or worse into some walking down a street to a mother pushing a pram! Worse cases but could happen!

Rant over about stupid people :)

Last edited:

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
First I was like 'Silly guy!'(to put it gently, that is)... But then I read this:
right....
ok....

5) the wheels rub

... and now I can't stop laughing...

Yes them bolts are a bit of a pain to get off, but not putting them back on... God, I didn't even know someone could even THINK of that lol...

Nick2008

Aug 22, 2008
gloucestershire
Wow I wasn't expecting that kind of response from people, If I could afford to I would of got it done at a garage trust me, and none of my mates are in to modding cars so I feel I had no choice but to go it alone (the guide on here makes it look sooo much easier than it actually is) My local garage were kind enough to take the bolts off the old struts today for free so fitted them this afternoon however it has made no difference whatsover, anyway I took a couple of pics..

IMG00208-20110221-1342.jpg

IMG00209-20110221-1342.jpg

IMG00211-20110221-1345.jpg

IMG00210-20110221-1342.jpg

patchb

GTayeeeeeee
Sep 27, 2010
New Milton
Hmmmm, I do wonder whether some people have common sense sometimes lol. If it was a random bolt you couldn't get undone on something trivial like a doorcard or something it would almost be acceptable, BUT ON SUSPENSION!!!

The first time I ever fitted a set of coilovers it took me 7 hours, i checked and rechecked everything, sounds to me like you rushed it and just skipped bits out. Take them completely off and start again I reckon, once you get used to fitting them it only takes a couple of hours.

And bin the 18's for some 15s or 16's, they look ****.

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Hmmmm, I do wonder whether some people have common sense sometimes lol. If it was a random bolt you couldn't get undone on something trivial like a doorcard or something it would almost be acceptable, BUT ON SUSPENSION!!!

The first time I ever fitted a set of coilovers it took me 7 hours, i checked and rechecked everything, sounds to me like you rushed it and just skipped bits out. Take them completely off and start again I reckon, once you get used to fitting them it only takes a couple of hours.

And bin the 18's for some 15s or 16's, they look ****.

Have to agree with this. If you were doing it yourself, take your time. Took me a few hours to do mine (lowering shocks springs not coilies, not much difference tbh) and I am not a mechanical person!

And from looking at your pictures, I still think 18s are way to big for the Ibiza. But in the end it is your car! :)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
I don't wanna run 215/35/18's on my bora mate, as they are such crap tyres lol
They are harsh as anything, I am going for 215/40/18's (might be 5% more, but trust me makes the difference)

Like been said, take off wheels, take suspension off, and put back on properly, get coiles on the back also!

It is piss easy to do mk2 coilies, should see how annoying/complicated other cars can be dude!

Nick2008

Aug 22, 2008
gloucestershire
Have to agree with this. If you were doing it yourself, take your time. Took me a few hours to do mine (lowering shocks springs not coilies, not much difference tbh) and I am not a mechanical person!

And from looking at your pictures, I still think 18s are way to big for the Ibiza. But in the end it is your car! :)

It did take me about 4-5 hours all in all mate, I ent the type of person to rush things, just not that way inclined when it comes to these sorts of things, my local garage wanted 300 quid to fit the front and back ones, which is 200 quid more than what the coilies cost in the first place! And I have definately not got that to spend at the moment. To be honest the reason I went for the wheels was because i've always preffered them to the ronals and other 16" wheels that everybody seems to have and was going to get them sprayed gloss white so they look like the f2 car wheels (which is the look i'm trying to go for).

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
It did take me about 4-5 hours all in all mate, I ent the type of person to rush things, just not that way inclined when it comes to these sorts of things, my local garage wanted 300 quid to fit the front and back ones, which is 200 quid more than what the coilies cost in the first place! And I have definately not got that to spend at the moment. To be honest the reason I went for the wheels was because i've always preffered them to the ronals and other 16" wheels that everybody seems to have and was going to get them sprayed gloss white so they look like the f2 car wheels (which is the look i'm trying to go for).

£300!?!?

A small local mechy would have taken around £100 max!

With that size wheel and tyre you will get a very harsh ride, as suj said. And will affect your car's performance because of the weight. Why not go for the same wheels or similar but smaller, even 17" would be better!