GUIDE: How to change pollen filter on Leon with tech pack

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I had some difficulty getting into the pollen filter (I was scared of breaking something) so I have got it done now and created a guide to hopefully help others

Open glovebox and look at the sides of the door, you will see a clip which needs to be pressed in so the door can be fully opened. You will need to press one side, pull the door slightly then press the other side.

When you get the door dropped you will see the pollen filter housing, problem is the plastic around the CD drive is in the way so this will also need removed.

To do this put your hand to the back of the trim and pull forwards, the trim will pop off as it is held in place by clips

Now you have the trim off you will be able to see 3 clips along the top of the filter housing. You'll need a flat head screwdriver (or tiny strong fingers) as the clips need pushed down which will allow the door to drop forward then be removed

With the filter housing cover removed you will be able to see the filter. This just needs pulled out.

Take note of the writing and air flow direction arrow so you can put the new one in.

On the genuine VAG filter there is only writing on one side so it's simple, the writing faces out so it can be read

My filter wasn't to bad but did need changed

To put everything back together, just repeat the steps above in reverse

riskfactorr

Mar 16, 2016
Sorry for bringing the post from dead but this video might also come in handy. I'm changing my pollen filter every 4-5k km and not waiting for servicing intervals they are just too long for my allergies:blink:

Since I can't post link I kindly ask moderator to do it for me, thanks...

youtu.be/ipVuX8xSfuo

Ps very strange video cover on yt for this video but not to worry she doesn't appear in the video...

Last edited:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Thanks for posting the video, that must be a non tech pack car as the tech pack ones have a slightly different way of getting to the filter.

riskfactorr

Mar 16, 2016
I know this is the video for Leon without tech pack, nevertheless gives one a good idea how to do it. Btw your tutorial with pics is awesome.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I changed the cabin filter over for the first time today and easy enough to do :)

Seems that from the factory that my filter way put in the wrong way with the arrow pointing up so installed the new filter the correct way round.

I assume all 5F pollen filters should have the arrow pointing down?
The filter came with a fitting sheet and the arrow shows pointing down on that as well.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Mine is fitted with arrow pointing down which is the way it came from the factory.

Everywhere I have looked says arrow down so that's how it stays now.

Doubt it would have (Aaaachooo) made a (Cough cough splutter)massive difference anyway :lol:

riskfactorr

Mar 16, 2016
Mine swapped today, old filter arrow pointing down. Interestingly enough I got MannHumel filter from the dealership VW-Audi-SkodaSeat OEM part, the old one was Valeo. I know it doesn't make any difference, I hope:shrug:, nevertheless I believe Mann is better - German quality and Made in Germany not Bosnia (one of their plants) :funk:

Theunisses

Aug 9, 2017
There's another good video on Youtube that is specific to the tech pack Leon - trouble is it's in Deutsche!
It's title is "Kraftstofffilter wechseln beim Seat Leon 5F"
(youtube.com/watch?v=MCN7PzYcFHk&t=5s)

Theunisses

Aug 9, 2017
Thanks again for the tutorial - changed mine this morning. Used your text and the visuals from the German Youtube video - nice and straightforward.
Despite being four years old and 60k with FDSH, I think it still had the original filter in. It was a Valeo, deep in debris.

BigARG

Mar 24, 2015
Essex
Anyone thinking about doing this. Do it. It was just as the instructions said. I would normally never do this. Too scared I would break something.
The only tricky part was getting the filter cover off. But when you get the first clip undone and start to play with it. It's easy. It all just pops back together. So no problems there. Thank you to chrisRibiza.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members