Haldex maintenance and pump relearn

dan.cupra

Nov 5, 2023
I know there are several videos online regarding this topic, however non with the Formentor.

Why I opened this post ? Since the Haldex maintenance is recommended (according to the manual) every 3 years, it might be that for many of Formentor users, that time is near. I would therefore like to share my experience, while I prefer doing this operation myself (several reasons why).

First of all, using ODB11-Pro plan does not (at this point) support Live data for All wheel drive, as well as pump calibration function. Already in discussions with OBD11 support team. Meanwhile this operation can still be done via VCDS.

One important thing to mention, Formentor is build on MQB-evo platform. There are similarities between the two set-ups - but the CAN bus arrangement is very different! (thanks to a dude from OBD eleven forum)

Anyway, I'm gonna do the Haldex maintenance this weekend since the car is almost 60k km, and come back with the results :). Would be great if anyone did this maintenance already and would like to share his/her experience here.

Cheers.

dan.cupra

Nov 5, 2023
Of course the Haldex had to be different than any other car I’ve seen, perhaps because Formentor is built on MQB-evo as I wrote in my previous post, and that “evo” at the end means there are quite a few differences to the MQB platforms.

Anyway I did the maintenance, by taking out the oil and then the pump, which had a clogged filter (car has 60k km and no Haldex maintenance was done), had to use compressed air but also brake spray to clean it properly.
Unfortunately the spare parts I ordered for the Haldex pump are not compatible ! So I had to reuse the old o-rings (which looked good) and the old screws. I’ll be changing them next time.

Few photos with the pump, pump lable, Haldex unit and its lable.

PS: OBD11 does not support the pump relearning process as of now ! “Perks” of owning a “new” car.

Attachments

• IMG_3527.jpeg
    IMG_3527.jpeg
    492.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3526.jpeg
    IMG_3526.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3528.jpeg
    IMG_3528.jpeg
    662.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3529.jpeg
    IMG_3529.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3531.jpeg
    IMG_3531.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3532.jpeg
    IMG_3532.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
O rings are often good for several repeats, a little lub to get it sliding into place and nothing to stick/tear like gaskets. Do/can you run a little oil through the box to flush any sediment out before refilling, just in case all the ‘gunge’ is not stuck to the filter but lying in the bottom?

Reactions: dan.cupra

dan.cupra

Nov 5, 2023
O rings are often good for several repeats, a little lub to get it sliding into place and nothing to stick/tear like gaskets. Do/can you run a little oil through the box to flush any sediment out before refilling, just in case all the ‘gunge’ is not stuck to the filter but lying in the bottom?
Yes, that’s possible if you have more than 850ml which is the amount of one bottle…which is quite expensive btw. I didn’t do that but I would do the Haldex maintenance more often than the manufacturer recommends.