Handelling information...

Justin R

Sep 21, 2009
I have now been spending some time searching mainly on this site for information about the Toledo in general and specific improvements for the 20VT which i have just brough as my everyday car.

I have a few areas i want to look at in stages, the first is handelling. It looks like the leon and the toledo are the same chassis/suspension wise and i would like to stiffen up the ride and reduce the height but with out it getting too bumpy.

The car has done 35K on a 04 and is in good condition so i expect the shocks will be fine for a while yet but i do not know whether to just go with something like Eibachs springs or whether a cupra R shock and spring change would be better.

I have found it hard to find anything about the differences in handelling and ride height the R suspension makes but i'm sure people on here have done it.

Could anyone give me thier views or if they know of threads already covering this with key words to search on?

Also do people rate upgrading the ARB's due to the roll or are these not such a good idea on a FWD car?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The Toledo shell is stiffer at the back and lighter overall compared to the Leon. Suspension mods, especially rear suspension, should be designed for the Toledo.

Upgraded ARB's are good for handling but bad for comfort - you decide what compromise to reach.

A 20VT as a daily driver? That's audacious. What's the fun car that goes with it, then?

Justin R

Sep 21, 2009
What make of arbs and springs would people here suggest?

Audacious for a daily drive? How so??

I have a 250bhp C20XE kit car and a R1.

Driving it sensibly, I’m getting about 40mpg average on a 40 mile round trip to work.

I’m sure that will decrease very easy with a heavier foot but it is such a nice car to drive. I was after the V5 but very happy with it so far.