Has anyone driven the new 1.4 TSI (140)?

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Has anyone had a test drive of the Leon with the new 1.4 TSI (140) engine yet?

On paper the performance and economy seem pretty good but I'm wondering what it's like in real world.

bigdan82

Same here, ordered it but haven't driven it. Hopefully soemone has :)

Nganasan

Feb 28, 2013
Estonia
Hello, this is my first post in this forum.

I have had one test drive with 1,4 FR (103kW) with 18" wheels, but as here in Estonia there was snow during test drive, then most of the time traction control interfered and I din't get correct feeling. Despite that it seemed pretty quick for me.

I have ordered 1,4 FR (103kW) in mid February and it should be arriving within May.

Starbucks78

Oct 7, 2009
As above, just ordered one but only drove the diesel. I did however drive the golf with the 1.4 engine and determined between the 2 I'll be happy.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
As above, just ordered one but only drove the diesel. I did however drive the golf with the 1.4 engine and determined between the 2 I'll be happy.

How does it feel performance wise? Having a TDi with lots of torque I'm wondering if it would feel quick enough to put a smile on my face ;)

Also did you noticed the MPG you got? They quote approx 55mpg Combined so I'm wondering what it would return in the real world.

phsroberts

Also did you noticed the MPG you got? They quote approx 55mpg Combined so I'm wondering what it would return in the real world.

The wife has just ordered the 1.4TSi without testing it. On the economy front, I think around 45mpg would be good, VAG have become one of those brands that promises massive economy, but you can never hit the figures.

The last 1.4 Tsi engine seems to get about 42-44mpg, with 122PS.

Starbucks78

Oct 7, 2009
The power I thought was quite reasonable actually. Coming from an 04 plate tdi 150pd I knew was going to be hard to match, and I like the slight lag and then turbo kick. The 1.4 had a kick to it so that appealed! Nearly got a mk2 170pd last year and the power felt too smooth so didn't really like it although it is a little quicker than my current Leon on paper. Having said that the new 1.4 is quicker than my Leon on paper too. When I took the golf out for a drive the chap that came with me used it as his company car. He gave me his honest opinion (that I believe) that he gets about 46mpg, and had a 5 mile commute.
If I had a choice I'd get the more powerful diesel but apart from the much higher cost, I'd be permanently paranoid about clogging up the dpf as I currently work 3 miles away and the engine temp needle never moves!
I think I'll be happy, apart from the wait as I was told today 12-14 weeks for delivery...

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
The power I thought was quite reasonable actually. Coming from an 04 plate tdi 150pd I knew was going to be hard to match, and I like the slight lag and then turbo kick. The 1.4 had a kick to it so that appealed! Nearly got a mk2 170pd last year and the power felt too smooth so didn't really like it although it is a little quicker than my current Leon on paper. Having said that the new 1.4 is quicker than my Leon on paper too. When I took the golf out for a drive the chap that came with me used it as his company car. He gave me his honest opinion (that I believe) that he gets about 46mpg, and had a 5 mile commute.
If I had a choice I'd get the more powerful diesel but apart from the much higher cost, I'd be permanently paranoid about clogging up the dpf as I currently work 3 miles away and the engine temp needle never moves!
I think I'll be happy, apart from the wait as I was told today 12-14 weeks for delivery...

Thanks for the info :)

I suppose the only way to decide if it's for you or not is to go for a test drive (or two).

phsroberts

Nope a new version with just a turbo and cylinder deactivation already in the Polo GT and should go into the Ibiza FR.

It's not got cylinder deactivation has it? I've not seen it mentioned anywhere.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.