Has anyone here remapped an Ecomotive?

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
Picking mine up on Saturday - Revo are suggesting gains to give her 145bhp and 235torque - from an engine that already potentially offers 70mpg on a run!:blink: That is, as the Maxpower boys would say, well nuff torkz

Tell me someone has done this...I'd love to hear what it's like, 'cos it's high up on my shopping list straight away.

Or am I going to run into problems with the dreaded DPF? Forgive my ignorance, I've been out of the loop for a while...

tony19b

Apr 12, 2007
Lancashire
Presumably you are talking about a Leon Ecomotive?
Buying this type of car would suggest that economy and costs are a priority. So I have to ask- Why??

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
Sorry should have been more specific - it's a Leon Ecomotive so 1.9 TDi 105PS.

The tyres are still quite meaty (215 IIRC) and I just thought the idea of a car capable of 70mpg knocking out 140 brake was enticing.

I thought remaps increased efficiency anyway?

Why would they throw the book at me if the DPF is in place? Or would the map push it above the 119g CO2 then?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
"Starting with the basic 1.9-litre diesel Leon (with its 135g/km CO2 emissions and 55mpg average) Seat’s engineers optimised the ECU and adjusted the gear ratios to make third, fourth and fifth gear longer. That saved 7g/km CO2. Next they reduced weight by fitting lighter steel wheels rather than alloys. Another 5g/km saved. Lastly low rolling resistance tyres were added, cutting a further 4g/km CO2."

The ECU map has been optimised for fuel efficiency, so any remap is likely to increase emissions and fuel consumption along with power. Add to that the fact that you will want to use that power (otherwise why bother to remap) which will use more fuel.

High gears are longer, for lower revs when cruising, so acceleration once you're moving will be compromised. Offset this against lower weight though. Don't be tempted to put alloys on it.

Tyres will limit the chuckability. Replacing tyres will also affect emissions.

Fuel consumption is quoted as 63 mpg (combined). You'd struggle to get 70 mpg on a real world journey.

The remap will put you into a higher tax bracket, negating the reason for buying an economic car in the first place.

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
If you remap an ecomotive I seriously doubt you would still get the fuel economy you expect - particularly if you use all the new power....

Why not just buy something more powerful from the start if power is your bag?

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Do they not supply the ecomotive to say eastern europe with poorer diesel quality and more extreme weather conditions? The whole point of a remap is to make use of our fuel quality and climatic conditions making it more efficient than the OE map.

I would be happy with a map on this vehicle based on the improved efficiency from my experience (+2mpg real world driving) on the PD150.

I would be surprised if the ecomotive has a different map for different markets.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The remap will put you into a higher tax bracket, negating the reason for buying an economic car in the first place.

No it won't - the car is type approved, what you do with it after then is irrelevant.

I would buy one, remap it, put DECENT tyres on it (they come with some low rolling resistance crap) & you're done.

Tax makes no difference

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
No it won't - the car is type approved, what you do with it after then is irrelevant.

I would buy one, remap it, put DECENT tyres on it (they come with some low rolling resistance crap) & you're done.

Tax makes no difference

Agreed ,Definetly change the tyres eco tyres are pants

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Firstly THANK YOU! I've been waiting for someone to do this as it had been on my mind, cheap tax, cheap insurance but with a hidden map a storming 140bhp.

I don't know why they bother with tyres because its likely the second set that go on it won't be eco's as the owner will probably have no idea that they ever were!

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
Economy is a priority - but i just wondered about the possibility of remapping. It might happen somewhere down the line...but I've got a Boxster for when I feel like dropping the right foot!

Eventually I might put nicer wheels on it i.e. some half-decent alloys, + remap - happy days.

For the moment I'm just waiting to pick her up - got a trip to Birmingham next week which I'm being paid 40p a mile for, I'm gonna be quids in!

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
ecomotive remapping.

Economy is a priority - but i just wondered about the possibility of remapping. It might happen somewhere down the line...but I've got a Boxster for when I feel like dropping the right foot!

Eventually I might put nicer wheels on it i.e. some half-decent alloys, + remap - happy days.

For the moment I'm just waiting to pick her up - got a trip to Birmingham next week which I'm being paid 40p a mile for, I'm gonna be quids in!

Yes they can be remapped, by revo.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I wrote

m0rk wrote

Tax makes no difference

OK, that makes a certain amount of sense, although testing for CO2 can be done at MOT (but isn't at the moment on diesels). The TA at manufacture is the only parameter setting the tax bracket then?

I can't find a formal statement anywhere, but there's some anecdotal evidence that a remap negates the Type Approval. I feel it ought to, but the legislation seems to be worded so that subsequent modifications to the car don't affect the tax bracket. It's hard to untangle the legalese without spending a lot of time on it, though.

Seems a route to a low-tax-band performance car (of sorts). Certainly you could enhance the motorway cruise and overtakeing potential, but back-road handling would take a bit more effort.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I wrote

m0rk wrote

Tax makes no difference

OK, that makes a certain amount of sense, although testing for CO2 can be done at MOT (but isn't at the moment on diesels). The TA at manufacture is the only parameter setting the tax bracket then?

I can't find a formal statement anywhere, but there's some anecdotal evidence that a remap negates the Type Approval. I feel it ought to, but the legislation seems to be worded so that subsequent modifications to the car don't affect the tax bracket. It's hard to untangle the legalese without spending a lot of time on it, though.

Seems a route to a low-tax-band performance car (of sorts). Certainly you could enhance the motorway cruise and overtakeing potential, but back-road handling would take a bit more effort.

CO2 can't be accurately measured at MOT... zero load & all, not moving anywhere - very low emissions indeed.

it's not economically viable to test for

Remapping won't affect type approval. the thing you're looking for is construction & use - and it won't affect that either.

Colin C

Apr 1, 2003
Southampton
Visit site
Mork is correct on this, buy a low tax band car and mod it as much as you want and it will stay in the original tax band ;)

Kind of defeats the object of buying an Eco car but if it stops you having to pay congestion charges everyday I can see remaps being very popular on these models :D It just shows what a farce the whole road tax related to emissions is !!!!!!!!!

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
Isn't there some sort of law the EU are/were pushing that would effectively ban any sort of modifiction of road-going vehicles post-sale/manufacture?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members