head gasket failure

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
just wondering what engines suffer from head gasket failure more than others?

are the old 110 TDI more stable then the newer 130 and 150 PD TDI for instance?

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
I'm not aware of any having a tendency for head gasket issues, all being quite strong engines.

That opens the question of what causes HG failures. Usually poor servicing leading to coolant issues, leading to overheating and bang the gasket is gone.

Next would be over-stressing the engine in the goal of higher performance.

I've then heard of stories of additives clogging oil and water ways leading to over-heating... Water pumps failing...

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
Wondering if I should have put this in the engine section.

We are thinking of buying and old shape 2005 Leon SX 110. But I had a 2003 Leon that I drove for 3 years short trips but on longer runs would use water. Head had gone I think but only partially.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
As said above I haven’t heard much ‘Internet Chatter’ of head gaskets failing often on the older 1.9s. I guess they can fail at higher mileages or if the car has been abused over its life.

I’ve run a 03 TDI 110 Leon for 11 years with very few problems. It did start using water after the thermostat was replaced, on the advice of a tame mechanic we tried some coolant seal. 4 years later it’s still chugging along and not using water.

The main problem I had was turbo over boost when it was used mainly for short runs. Last 3 years I’ve done a 70 mile motorway commute and the car is running a lot better.

The old TDI 110 is a very strong unit and would be a decent buy if you find one in good condition. I would certainly consider getting another one if I need to replace mind. But I’d also look around for a 130 PD which is generally viewed as a more reliable option over the 150 PD. Trouble is they didn’t do many 130 PD in either the Leon or Toledo.

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
Thanks guys.

What sealant did you use?

The Leon we’ve seen has only done 66k from new.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Thanks guys.

What sealant did you use?

The Leon we’ve seen has only done 66k from new.

You’re welcome, sorry don’t remember what he said it was. I just gave him a tenner and he put it in the header tank. It certainly wasn’t one of the well known brands since I didn’t recognise it. Took it back to him after he replaced the thermostat and temperature sensor, it was putting on the low coolant light after a couple of weeks.

I have previously used Bars Leaks with good results and would have happily tried that myself before paying for a pressure test of the coolant system.

66k miles is rather low for a 12 year old car. I know from firsthand experience the VNT turbos like be given decent runs over 30 minutes to get them hot enough to burn the soot off the control vanes. Otherwise you start getting limp mode problems.

Also would be worth checking if the suspension bushes have been replaced yet, since they’ll be due around that age. Mine needed a front end rebuild at 10 years / 70k. Sometimes it can be better buying a car with more average mileage that’s had the common wear/age related work already done.

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
our Toledo TDI is the offending article. its done 112k and weve already done the shocks all round and front bushes. so Its a bit of a kicker to have too sell it spares or repair.

the reason I ask is my Leon, the same age and 108k when I bought it, had a head issue as it would use water on long journeys. same engine code also. this is why I wondered if head gaskets on ASV engines are now failing due to age or mileage or maybe a bad batch.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Think it's just coincidence.

I have a Leon 110 (ALH) that had the HG go at 130k miles, refitted a new one. It's not a hard job but a pain getting all off to get to it.

I also have the PD130 (ASZ) and as it just celebrates 160k miles I quickly touch wood and hope I'm not jinxing myself but all good so far and that's with a upping the turbo and remapping.

Both have had so much replaced so I know should see me well for another few years hopefully.

Both strong and reliable. Think I may sell the 110 off soon, it doesn't get much use these days.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.