Heater/Fans all mouth no trousers in 2006 Ibiza 1.9 TDi FR

Me²

Newbie²
Dec 29, 2014
Manchester
Right, I'm new here and I'm new to the car, having just bought it a week ago; it's a 2006 1.9 TDI FR.

I've had a search though this forum (worth looking in he MK3 forum too?) and although I've found several similar threads, there's nothing quite precise enough to give me enough confidence that I feel like I've somewhere to start with a problem I've got - the heater/fans - so I've decided with some hesitation to start this new thread.

The control panel for the heading/fans is the one with fan speed dial on the left, the display in the middle and the temperature dial on the right. The buttons across the bottom start with window symbol on the left and the recirculate (I think) button far right and include an Auto and ECON option. Hopefully that should be enough to identify the system if there's any doubt.

Basically, what I've got is an all mouth no trousers kind of issue, the fans sound like they're turning on and off and changing speed depending on what option I press, everything sounds like it's adjusting depending on what I set on the controls just fine - however - regardless of what options I've set - I'm getting very little airflow out of the x4 vents facing me on the dash and similar with those under the windscreen. Quite pathetic actually.

I've gathered some information from several of the threads on here which tell me various parts of the fan including the motor sit behind the glove box - this is where all the sound it coming from when I play with the fan/heat options so if I was to take a guess based on what I can hear and what I can feel I'd say the motor seems to be fine but something isn't quite right regarding either a) the fact it isn't getting any air to work with or b) what its doing/where its sending the air once its got it, as it certainly doesn't appear to be to the vents.

I'm wondering if the more savvy members here might be able to give me an idea as to where I might start to look for an answer?

Many thanks in advance :)

Tom

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
pound to a pinch of S**T it's the pollen filter, at least take it out (and all the crap that's probl'y in there) and then try the system again it's under the passenger side glove box the lid has 2 sliding clips and is L shaped (pulls down) fiddly to refit but important so as to keep the water out or in!

Me²

Newbie²
Dec 29, 2014
Manchester
Thanks, I'll service it I think regardless, the previous owner seems to have done most things himself and it's impossible to tell what was done when. I've also discovered something extra odd as I type this now sat playing on the driveway; the fan motor comes on and is quite quiet as I sit here, except when I go into reverse gear, then the motor noticeably cranks up a notch and I'm bathed in blasts of air? The plot thickens but perhaps Mr previous has accidentally wired something up to the brake lights! The fans quieten down again when I come out of reverse and engage any other gear...

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
That's normal for the climatronic, not sure why though.

It sounds like the small motors are stuck and won't direct the airflow correctly. You could try scanning with VCDS which would highlight a fault or you can reset the motors to see if that improves things.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
That's normal for the climatronic, not sure why though.

The idea is to stop exhaust being drawn into the car as you reverse.

When you press the direction buttons screen, vents and footwell etc you should hear the flaps open and close with a soft thud. Easier on the lowest fan setting.

Me²

Newbie²
Dec 29, 2014
Manchester
Thanks all - I'll try that krussel - in my mind I can't remember hearing anything audible when I flick between settings, so perhaps it a flaps thing. Filters etc. will be changed on Monday and beyond that I've ordered a FTDI FT232RL cable so I can use your excellent guide Badger - thank you! (-:

To reset the motors is that just a battery unplug for a minute or so?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
For the DIYer, VCDS is the way to go, if it makes you feel any better, my daughter's MK5 Ibiza SC's ventilation system fits your "all mouth and no trousers" description perfectly, and I think that it is still working as intended and with no grumps being reported via VCDS. wife's 2003MY Polo with Climatronic does have some issues that I do not intend to resolve yet as the temperature and direction can still be controlled. My previous car, 2000 Passat 4Motion, did end up with severe temperature control problems, which meant on one long trip I had to stop off for a while to let the interior cool down - no good in summer, okay in winter! I eventually did replace the temperature control flapmotor assembly, not too difficult, but replacing the direction/recirculate flapmotor would have meant removing the dashboard as it needed to get withdrawn about 2 inches from its location and the metalwork of the inner wing/etc started about 1 inch away from that location!!

This flapmotor failure nonsense is an old VAG problem and I don't know if it ever disappears, ie at a model change - good luck.

One final thing, if reading anything about replacing flapmotors on the web, make sure what you are reading is relevant to RHD cars - or you might be in for a disappointment!

Small hands, long strong fingers, lots of determination, lots of small spanners and short screwdriver bits are the only way forward - if any of that does not describe you then sorry you are stuck with a crap ventilation system.

A final, final point, pay more at ECP and get the pollen filter with carbon to reduce smells, also, DO NOT LOOK UP when removing the filter as lots of small, hopefully dry bits will end up in your eyes - oh and refitting the pollen filter holder is straight forward, or should be, so have a good look at where the clips are (take picture) and which way round the lower cover goes before removing anything.

Me²

Newbie²
Dec 29, 2014
Manchester
A final, final point, pay more at ECP and get the pollen filter with carbon to reduce smells, also, DO NOT LOOK UP when removing the filter as lots of small, hopefully dry bits will end up in your eyes - oh and refitting the pollen filter holder is straight forward, or should be, so have a good look at where the clips are (take picture) and which way round the lower cover goes before removing anything.

:thumbup:

I'll get my swimming goggles out (-:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Oh, and a Haynes repair manual does help with some jobs!

WRT the previous owner doing their own service/repair work, I also do most of my own service/repair work and that at times means performing a complete service over a couple of weekends if car/my time demands do not allow it all to get done at one "go" - but I meticulously report in a running service/repair log everything that I've done - and hand that to next owner - along with all the VCDS printouts!!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
:thumbup:

I'll get my swimming goggles out (-:

I've had these pollen filters out a few times now, but they still beat me in as much as you might think that I could refit the cover and clips "right first time" - wrong, needs a bit of swearing - and it is NEVER my fault!

Me²

Newbie²
Dec 29, 2014
Manchester
Got a Haynes Manual on the way too thanks to a link I found here.

The VCDS print outs in the service log is a great idea, I'll be doing that. The service routine guide on here is also a mighty help.

I've got nothing documented whatsoever from the previous chap and I feel a bit of a dope for not asking for a bit more information from him regarding what's been done and when, but you live and learn I guess.

Last edited:
May 21, 2009
My heater motor has packed in completely last time I booked it in at the garage this time I'm doing it myself,

I also hear the flap motor is behind the heater motor (my flaps spun like they're moving ok and I have no airflow at all)

To get to these is it just a case of dropping the glovebox

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Me2, not wanting to cross post etc, but have a look at the thread (if there is one) or FAQ about these cars to see what other people have found happening to them. For instance, the brake light switch can fail and put on lots of lights on the dash - could worry you a lot unless you had read up on what it looks like in advance, first time the Polo one failed I was very sure that I knew what had happened - because I had read up on it, also if or when it next fails, make sure you buy the latest version as these switches have been revised a few times, ie only buy from a VAG dealer. Rear discs can partially seize and lots of people, including me, stopped that being a problem by fitting extra external return springs from a Seat Alhambra or Ford Galaxy. Have fun!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise