Heel & Toe in manual Leon?

opher50

Dec 16, 2016
Hey fellas,

So I recently bought a manual 2014 Leon, and was willing to practice Heel&Toe, but I found out that the brake and gas pedal are really further from each other.. Is it still possible doing it? I have rather large foot and couldn't succeed with classic Heel&Toe, neither with the right side of my foot slightly banging the pedal..

Any ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hey fellas,

So I recently bought a manual 2014 Leon, and was willing to practice Heel&Toe, but I found out that the brake and gas pedal are really further from each other.. Is it still possible doing it? I have rather large foot and couldn't succeed with classic Heel&Toe, neither with the right side of my foot slightly banging the pedal..

Any ideas?

Even if you had the right size feet and pedal spacing for heel and toe driving

The brake pedal cuts engine power when you use it so the traditional heel and toe won't work.

Try driving along and when safe just touch the brake pedal with your left foot ( not enough to apply the brakes by much ) - the car drops power immediately.

Renex

Nov 17, 2016
Moscow, Russia
It's impossilble to use hell&toe technique in mk3 Leon, as soon as you tap the brake pedal the ECU turns off the gas, no matter how hard you press the gas.

You can try to tap the slightly tap the brakes pedal with left leg while right leg will constanly press the gas, and then car will immediately loose acceleration for a few seconds, even after releasing brakes.

opher50

Dec 16, 2016
Oh well that's too bad -_- why didn't they implement auto rev matching? ;)

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Yeah it's a safety feature but I'm sure as others have mentioned it can be disabled as part of a remap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alock

May 3, 2004
Heel and toe is an option in the Leon MK3. The main problem in making it smooth is the drive by wire throttle delay.

If you are on the throttle and press the brake, all power is cut which is what people above are referring to. This means left foot trail braking into a corner is not possible.

A traditional heel and toe involves coming off the throttle, pressing the brake pedal with your right foot and then when near the end of the braking phase you roll part of your foot onto the throttle. The Leon does not stop you doing this.

opher50

Dec 16, 2016
Other than throttle cut I find it hard to place my legs somehow to do it anyway..

I can sometimes create the same effect when not engaging brakes at the same time.. When slowing down from 5th to 4th, or from 4th to 3rd..Obviously not fast and helpful.. Just less bumpy

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
I'm now very confused as I seem to be successfully rev matching my gear changes under braking in my 290 - I know I'm not going mad here either!

Last edited:

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
I'm confused at the comments above as well.
I've been doing heel'n'toe on my Leon since the first week I got it. Had no issues with it. Even when standing still and holding the brake, I'm able to rev the engine with my right leg at the same time.

It's a bit more difficult on "Normal" engine mode, nigh impossible in "Eco". But in "Sport" mode my FR Leon with 1.4 TSI (150) is fairly easy to heel'n'toe and/or rev match just with the throttle. Both work without any issues.

opher50

Dec 16, 2016
xSullx how do you do it physically with your leg? It's simply impossible to push the heel to the right.. There's just no place

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
xSullx how do you do it physically with your leg? It's simply impossible to push the heel to the right.. There's just no place

I don't use exactly the heel and toe parts of my foot. All the instructional video I watched, when I learned heel&toe about 5-6 years ago showed that the widest part of the foot is used. Maybe it's a matter of preference, or depending on the kind of pedals you use (some cars have the gas pedal mounted on the floor for example).

But from the videos I watched it shows that the broadest/widest part of your foot should be used - the "meatier" part just after your toes, not sure what it's called in english.
I use the left side of the foot for the brake and the right side for the throttle. It's on a bit of an angle sure, but it's not exactly heel on the throttle and toe on the brake.

I'm not the expert, for sure - just answering because I was asked :D
Watching some videos will help, everyone might have their own take on what feels more comfortable.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
As per xSullx, that's how I do it as well - by rolling off my right foot onto the accelerator.
It's not half as easy to do as in my Renaultsport Megane, but it's more than doable.

opher50

Dec 16, 2016
Yeah that's what I figured.. But obviously when I tried I ended up slipping my foot from the brake and mash the throttle

How about ordering those fancy aluminum pedal covers and use the throttle one only? It will lessen the distance between the pedals won't it?

I've watched that video in the past but it's impossible to do it in the Leon.. The pedals placement won't allow it at all

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members