Help! Brake disc guard has come loose!

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Driving along tonight and notice a hell of a noise, like the exhaust is dragging on the floor! Naturally I stop and check everything, can't see anything hanging down etc, so carry on but it's the same.
Drove around when I got home and got someone to listen and realised it was coming from the back wheel. So I checked and found that the brake disc guard (the metal guard that sits behind the disc) has come loose! and so is banging against the top of the discs! It's not hitting it hard I don't think but it makes a hell of a clatter!!

Does anyone know how these are held on? Is it something I can do easily? I don't have a jack except for the widow maker and really don't fancy messing about under the car whilst it's up on that.

And more importantly, is it dangerous!??

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
ive had the dust covers make some of the noises you describe, its a horrendous noise and can be a bit embarrasing lol

I have had various setups up front and no longer have the shields and have S3 rears and have removed the shields.

Id get a decent trolly jack & pair of axle stands if your keen to sort things yourself ocasionally and look at helping it come off if its already loose. Or tighten the nuts if possible

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Yeah, it is bloody embarrassing lol. The thing is, the car is going in a couple of months, part ex for a brand new one so I'm obviously wanting to not spend money on it now where possible and also I'm not expecting my new one to have a need for a jack any time soon! :)

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Remove the caliper, holder and disc, then just screw it back on. Might want to use some threadlock.

Fish

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Well, I was messing around with it tonight and gave it a real hard shove. It kind of wedged into place and stopped moving. Went for a drive inc motorway and it was fine. Fingers crossed it's fixed for now lol! Just hope it lasts a couple of months!

m3eater

Aug 14, 2014
this happened to me today and the first thing i thought was that my exhaust had fallen off, it makes such a racket! the guy in my local garage mentioned putting a spacer in and tightening it, but i'd prefer it to just be removed? would it cause any issues by just removing it?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.