Help! Seat Dealer Warranty - 'Not covered by it'

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
I bought a Seat Leon FR Tdi, 2005 model in late November time. This was bought from Coventry Seat.

In December the floor of the boot got soaked regularly and I could not figure why. I suspect it is the windscreen washer pipe failing.

However, I think to myself well, 'this is what you've paid to buy a car from a dealer for, they give you a warranty for a year'.

I book it into Milton Keynes Seat and I'm told by them that Warranty won't cover it, they've rung the warranty department. What's more, they can't give me the number to call to complain about it.

In what world do they think water pissing out into the boot is wear and tear? Whilst the car is, I agree, 40k miles and 4 years old, this still shouldn't be happening.

Firstly, do any of you have the number for Seat Warranty Customer Services so I can get a f* list of what exactly is covered?

Secondly should I pay the £45 they quote me to 'replace a clip and reattach the hose' or just do it myself?

Thanks in anticipation!

James (a hacked off Leon owner - I hope this isn't a sign of things to come).

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
Cheers. Having spent my life to date tinkering with cars myself, I just thought for once I'd treat myself and buy from a dealer with the 'peace of mind' for the extra cost.

Having called a number MK Seat gave me (which turned out to be a bakery) as they wouldn't give me the warranty phone number, I then called Seat Customer Services who 'sounded' helpful enough and said they'd ring the dealership and find out what they were claiming for.

Just concerns me that if they aren't going to cover this, what are they going to cover.

If I don't get good service from MK Seat then I'll go to TotalVAG, yes. I suspect I probably won't get good service from MK Seat as the last time we went there, there were no customers and I wanted to test drive a mk2 with my other half, several salesmen inside but none could be assed to come and speak to us so after 15 minutes we cleared off and hence the mk1 purchase from Coventry Listers.

TotalVAG will probably do my cambelt and service in April (40k mile service due then).

MK8

reconnecting the hose is fairly easy, i would do it my self. i never go to MK Seat anymore, thought things would be better when they chnaged from stoneacre, but unfortunately not. the manager in there is very good though, and i think if you speak to him, hes quite decent.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
Thanks, I suspect I won't use MK Seat unless I have to but I might be surprised, you never know!

From the searching I've done on here, it appears I might not even have to remove the boot panel trim and it might just be a case of looking behind the passenger light cluster for the pipe. Either way, I'll be tinkering about this weekend by the looks of things.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
Update:

Seat Customer service finally called me back (helpfully just after lunch so I have not time to collect the car) and inform me that they won't pay out under warranty as it's a wear and tear item.

They also inform me that they 'used to have a .pdf file of all warranty items' but cannot locate it to send me a copy.

Apparently I could wait and get Seat MK to submit a goodwill gesture form but I just can't be arsed to muck about. Hopefully it's something I can just fix myself, but I cannot see how this has occurred from wear and tear and even then, it concerns that me that if something major goes wrong with the car, am I going to have the same ballache arguing the toss. It's £45?!

I'm now pissed off :whistle:

Thanks to those who suggested things. Looks like I'm doing this myself.

Wrighty

Aug 21, 2005
Derbyshire
rear washer pipe twice came detached on mine, once behind the light cluster and once inside the tailgate. both times the dealer fixed it for me FOC. Difference here i suspect is that i owned the car from new, bought from this dealer and always went to them for servicing.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
I don't see a difference to be quite frank.

Yes, I bought the car second hand from Coventry but:

a. The service manual is in their hands so they would have seen that I have the cambelt service coming up soon. Do they want my business?
b. I have had the car two months. In all likelihood I would have just sent the car there for its service in April.
c. Goodwill goes a long way. It isn't the dealer's fault the warranty department won't do it, although if it's so simple, you'd have thought for future custom the dealer would have done it FOC? I turned up this morning in a mint MX5 and a Leon FR, in a decent suit and they know I work at a large local solicitors. It doesn't take the brains of Britain to think they may wish to keep my custom and that in a couple of years time, I will be looking to trade up... Perhaps the writing was on the wall when I spent 15 minutes looking at a new mk2 Leon and no one could be arsed to come out and enquire?

Anyway, rant over!

Nevermind anyway, your post has confirmed where I should be looking to get it sorted so I'll be mucking about doing that this weekend.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I don't see a difference to be quite frank.

Yes, I bought the car second hand from Coventry but:

a. The service manual is in their hands so they would have seen that I have the cambelt service coming up soon. Do they want my business?
b. I have had the car two months. In all likelihood I would have just sent the car there for its service in April.
c. Goodwill goes a long way. It isn't the dealer's fault the warranty department won't do it, although if it's so simple, you'd have thought for future custom the dealer would have done it FOC? I turned up this morning in a mint MX5 and a Leon FR, in a decent suit and they know I work at a large local solicitors. It doesn't take the brains of Britain to think they may wish to keep my custom and that in a couple of years time, I will be looking to trade up... Perhaps the writing was on the wall when I spent 15 minutes looking at a new mk2 Leon and no one could be arsed to come out and enquire?

Anyway, rant over!

Nevermind anyway, your post has confirmed where I should be looking to get it sorted so I'll be mucking about doing that this weekend.

It really is easy to fix, it's just a bit of a faff on - probably take you an hour or so :)

andycupra

status subject to change
sadly they do not make it clear, but dealer warranties are basically brough and paid for warranties and therefore are not as good as manufacturer warranties.

Wear and tear is a bit rich, and this pipe fault is a common issue. Poor pervice from seat; however im not surprised.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members