Help! Seat Ibiza 1.2 Turbo missfire

Mar 20, 2019
Hi all
I am new here. Wondered if anyone could shed some light on a problem I am having.
I have a Seat Ibiza 1.2 Turbo 2015 plate - i love it! I purchased it last year after a crash made my humble Hyundai a write off.
But - It judders, randomly. I had it checked by the garage that i purchased it from but as it had 3 month manufacturers warranty left on it i have been in a constant battle with Seat Uk to fix the problem.

The garage i purchased from gave me a report stating a missfire in cylinder 4 & 2. Fault codes as follows:
P030000 Random multiple missfire
P0304000 Cylinder 4 missfire detected
P0302000 Cylinder 2 missfire detected

I took it to my local seat dealership. They said they couldn't find the fault and that it is a characteristic of the engine.
I took it for a second opinion at another Seat dealership and they told me it was a carbon build up issue due to short journeys by the previous owner - most likely. They cleaned the carbon and told me they had fixed it, but it still judders.
They had it back and completed the following, yet it still judders.
"We have carried out a number of tests and checks, including compression tests on the engine. All of these checks have shown no faults with the engine. With regard to the spark plugs we have not been able to fault them, but have changed them to ensure there are no issues with them we cannot detect. We have also changed the high-pressure pump, and swapped the coil pack. Again there are no faults with the engine, it is behaving as it should be when we test it. At this stage, we are unable to go any further, as everything is coming up as ok."

Is there any information on this fault you guys can give me? Any one else having this issue?

Many thanks

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Is it juddering whilst driving or whilst at idle (or both)? New plugs and packs were the obvious choice (which they've done). What did the carbon clean involve? Did they chuck some Forte in the fuel tank or remove, test and clean the injectors. If not, I'd be getting the injectors tested next.

Mar 20, 2019
Is it juddering whilst driving or whilst at idle (or both)? New plugs and packs were the obvious choice (which they've done). What did the carbon clean involve? Did they chuck some Forte in the fuel tank or remove, test and clean the injectors. If not, I'd be getting the injectors tested next.

It is mainly noticeable when idle, but there is also a delay when moving on from changing gear. My friend described it as a turbo lag (whilst driving).
Seat told me they had to buy a special machine to clean the carbon. The only way i can describe it, is something similar to when the dentist has the cleaning tool in your mouth and the nurse has the suction pipe. They did call it a sort of hoover? I have asked them for the name of the machine. I will post it when i get it.
Thank you :)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hmmm, well, if it was Terraclean, they might as well have waved a feather duster in the air around the engine bay. Walnut blasting is actually ok, but would clean the valves not the injectors. Although it's time consuming (which makes me think they haven't done it - plus the dentist sucking machine), usually the injectors would be removed. Put in a fish bowl and their spray patterns tested and replaced / cleaned as required.

Mar 20, 2019
They did tell me it would be approx a 15 hour job, with the machine.
Then there was some confusion and misleading information given.
They told me that the machine did not arrive. So they cleaned it by hand.
Then a few weeks later they told me that the machine arrived late and that they did use it.
I haven't heard back from them yet, but they should reply today, they are normally quick to respond... Even if it is with confusing and misleading information ;)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hmm, did they charge you to do the cleaning? If your paying for it yourself, there are better places (and probably cheaper) you could get it looked at.

Mar 20, 2019
They tried! But as it was under warranty and they had not informed me of any charges before completing the work, as I had previously requested. I did not have to pay anything.
I am thinking of taking it to a local garage called Elva, they are or seem to be quite honest. I had a problem with the steering on my last car and they told me that they were unsure what the exact problem was and gave me options that we could try. Their first recommendation for fixing it sorted the problem right out. Happy days.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
There'd be no harm in taking it somewhere else and asking them to diagnose the problem, even if they didn't actually do the work (which you could then present the findings back to Seat). I assume they've already scanned it for codes (and found nothing) - hence they are scratching their heads?

Mar 20, 2019
I did originally do this, which gave me the misfire fault codes. But Seat would not recognise the findings as they were not a seat garage.
I think Seat will say they have sorted the misfire with the works they have carried out and continue along the line of the judder being a "characteristic of the engine"

Mar 20, 2019

Attachments

• granulate.jpg
    granulate.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 80

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Yeah, I think that's the equivilent of walnut blasting. For hopefully obvious reasons, they wouldn't be able to clean your injectors with that.

Mar 20, 2019
I have just had the following message from Seat..... Any thoughts?

With regard to the valves - they are not sticking. As for the injectors, if they are faulty they will always generate a fault code, as well as causing a warning light to come on - as none of this has occurred we have no reason to remove them.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Had any repeat of the previous misfire fault codes at all ?

Or even any other codes ?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Maybe if they are faulty a light would come on. But that wouldn't say if they were blocked up with a bit of carbon.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members