high mileage leons

pedy

Mar 29, 2007
denny - stirlingshire
hi, im looking for a mk2 leon tdi sport, theres a good chance it will have high (ish) miles, is there anything i should look out for?? found a really nice one yesterday and looked promising until I told the guy my peugeot 307 was red then he went from offering almost £6000 for it to say he wouldnt accept it as a trade in! :cry:

pedy

Mar 29, 2007
denny - stirlingshire
Seems very odd to me. Red isn't as 'personal' as yellow or orange, etc. Is the guy only accepting black/grey cars or what? :rolleyes:

yeah, seems like that, most of the cars he has are black or silver, but to completely refuse as a trade-in is strange, i cant really get my head round it, and i would say that red actually looks better than silver on a 307!

Last edited:

langy

Aug 9, 2006
My 06 Leon has done just over 80k and in all honesty, it's as good now as it was 80k ago. The only thing i've had to do with it over and above servicing is tyres and the seat belt warning light came on.

I'm still using the original disc and pads, exhaust. Front tyres last 25k and rears 50k :)

pedy

Mar 29, 2007
denny - stirlingshire
i took a trip to forfar earlier to see a leon for £6995, 1 owner, emocion red, rear parking sensors, bluetooth, really good condition just two small dings on drivers doorand a small one on the roof, 49k miles, would get 6 months tax and a years warranty, and i was offered £6000 for my pug, great deal but its a tfsi sport, i really wanted another diesel and i am really trying to think of the pros and cons, hmmmm alot of thinking to do tonight!!!! any suggestions?!?!

Jacey Boy

Mar 10, 2004
Bournemouth, Dorset
I have been a diesel man before (well for the wife), but I think you have to weigh up the pro's and cons, dont forget diesel costs an extra almost £0.10 per litre, so in my opinion if you do lots of miles then buy a diesel, otherwise petrol will be fine, you will still get around 35+mpg:)

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
hi, im looking for a mk2 leon tdi sport, theres a good chance it will have high (ish) miles, is there anything i should look out for?? found a really nice one yesterday and looked promising until I told the guy my peugeot 307 was red then he went from offering almost £6000 for it to say he wouldnt accept it as a trade in! :cry:

The non DPF units are well tried and open to tuning, make sure it has a full service history and if over 60k/3 years get a extended warranty [ this is specially true if you go for a FR type!!]. the search tread on this site are very good, if used properly !!?? - and welcome aboard. ...........................

pedy

Mar 29, 2007
denny - stirlingshire
The non DPF units are well tried and open to tuning, make sure it has a full service history and if over 60k/3 years get a extended warranty [ this is specially true if you go for a FR type!!]. the search tread on this site are very good, if used properly !!?? - and welcome aboard. ...........................[/QUOTE

cheers mate, this will be my 3rd SEAT.... mad mk3 ibiza 1.4 then mk4 tdi sport 130, id go for a mk4 ibiza cupra tdi but i need a bigger car these days ( and back doors!!!!)

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
i think im going to see a black mk 2 tdi sport with bluetooth, looks mint but done 80,000.... il see what happens!

At 80000 Make sure the cambelt has been replaced. Also check the brake discs and pads for wear. I should think they are as good as gone too if not replaced yet.
BTW are you looking for a 2.0tdi or the 1.9tdi?
The 2.0 is prone to cracked cylinderheads, but according to most german long term tests of the 2.0tdi block it's not a dealbreaker. The cracks are very small and seal as soon as the engine warms up. Also you can only check it when taking the engine to pieces [B)]
The 1.9tdi has been around since the beginning of time so there are very few problems with it. Check for juddering when stationary, can be a faulty flywheel, I think it's called, and check for clutch slip. The 1.9 has a weak clutch and if the car has been chipped I'd do a couple of full bore starts to see if the clutch holds up.
For all models check for uneven tyrewear especially on the rear. You'll hear a rumbling noice at certain speeds coming from the back. Would be a shame if you have to buy new tyres a few weeks after getting it.

That's all I "know" about it :rolleyes: good luck!

pedy

Mar 29, 2007
denny - stirlingshire
At 80000 Make sure the cambelt has been replaced. Also check the brake discs and pads for wear. I should think they are as good as gone too if not replaced yet.
BTW are you looking for a 2.0tdi or the 1.9tdi?
The 2.0 is prone to cracked cylinderheads, but according to most german long term tests of the 2.0tdi block it's not a dealbreaker. The cracks are very small and seal as soon as the engine warms up. Also you can only check it when taking the engine to pieces [B)]
The 1.9tdi has been around since the beginning of time so there are very few problems with it. Check for juddering when stationary, can be a faulty flywheel, I think it's called, and check for clutch slip. The 1.9 has a weak clutch and if the car has been chipped I'd do a couple of full bore starts to see if the clutch holds up.
For all models check for uneven tyrewear especially on the rear. You'll hear a rumbling noice at certain speeds coming from the back. Would be a shame if you have to buy new tyres a few weeks after getting it.

That's all I "know" about it :rolleyes: good luck!

its the 2.0tdi, thanks for all the help mate

langy

Aug 9, 2006
Just out of interest, what is an 80k 2.0tdi sport worth ? or how much was it advertised for ?

As I've mentioned before, 80k, not a problem, still on my original brakes

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise