How To... GTI Clocks in Non-GTI MKII Ibiza (also buzzing noise and bulb problem fix)

oobumblebeeoo

Jun 1, 2010
This is the complete guide with pictures for putting MKII Ibiza GTI VDO Instrument Panel Clocks/Dials in your standard Ibiza!​

First, the plug is the same, so yeah, you can transplant the thing straight into your instrument panel without the laborious task of taking off the actual dial fronts (metal believe it or not!).

080620101673.jpg

The top right of the above image is the same black plug you will find as on the GTI (and vice-versa), just that the plug has turned 90degrees on the GTI black back of the dial VDO box (original is white).

The next bit is unscrewing the white backing off of the old clocks.
You will also need to do this to the new ones as well.
KEEP THE SCREWS SAFE!
(All will become clear soon! lol).

At this stage you will have to find out yourself that there are only two or three clips holding the dials in still (on the old clocks - white.)
The new dials are soldered onboard and cannot be taken out, hence why this is such a pain (otherwise I would of simply swapped the clocks over from new VDO unit to old).

Here is an image showing the old dials pulled out of the contact sockets.

*At this point if all you wanted to do was to change a dodgy dial, now you know how it all comes to bits*

080620101671.jpg

The Third step is to get a small flathead screwdriver and prise the plastic solder points apart and get to the bulb display plastic under the bulb block off housing.
This is because the new unit had bulbs mapped to different parts of the unit, so your lights wont be mixed up.

080620101669.jpg

As you can see there are four solder points (actually 5), although you cannot see this tiny one. Be VERY CAREFUL YOU DO NOT SLIP or you will end up marking the see-through plastic other side that faces you in the car OR pulling too much on the solder points to create a whitey-black strain mark on the front that faces you also.

It's under this white part you need to swap the strips under.
Do this now!... Then you should be able to clip the white housing back in (if you haven't been an animal lol)

The other reason for swapping the see through window unit... Is the MOT part.
Now, the GTI unit has the indicator bulbs up the top centre with the indicators, you need to get rid of these by using your old unit casing!

This is another reason for this is why we're doing this mod in the first place...
The indicator bulbs need to be taken out as well as the fog light bulb AND the high beam one - I know it's a bit drastic, but you'll find out why if you don't... you wont see the high beam window in the old unit or the inidcator windows anyway, plus you're hiding the inidcator light windows for MOT validity.

Compare the image below to your old clocks to see what I mean.
You may as well keep all 3 bulbs spare from the top!

Another good thing to do at this point is check the two bulbs in the upper most part of the unit (the bit that shines the light into the unit for night driving) and all the the other bulbs.
Hey... You have plenty of bulbs to hand at the mo! lol

080620101670.jpg

You will also find you will have to keep a few more bulbs as spare from the bottom of the instrument panel window as some lights are used and some aren't.
I never got a picture of this as I was two-and-frowing to a light source to shine through the window in/out the house to see what ones I would need.

You will see by reading the other thread: 'GTI Clocks' of the symptoms on why we're doing this mod and I'd say try mod this at your own risk; but I really wanted these dials and thought what the hell.

- I personally found my fog light bulb, indicator bulbs were mixed up on the instrument panel as well as my indicator relay was buzzing on accessory ignition.
-I sorted the buzzing alone by taking out the right hand indicator bulb out!

*If anybody has a fix on how to solder up the proper bulbs later on, then scream at me and I will add it to this*

---

And finally...

Grab your screws after swapping the main see-through window over as well at the bottom bulb window, taking the bulbs out and keeping some spare (as above) and put it all back together.

As I also said above, YOU WILL have some screws left over, so be careful where you screw up as the NEWER unit backing has screw holes in other places, so don't go all animal on this as well and look to see where the holes actually go!!!

And the final result?............

FERKIN SICK! :p

080620101666.jpg

080620101667.jpg

Here are my old clocks with the newer discarded GTI window, bottom internal coloured light window strip and the old white screw backing plate (just so you can see what I actually trasnplanted in case you get stuck)... I think I broke it down ok lol!!? ;)

080620101675.jpg

P.S: If anyone needs to put their milage back or forward on the new clocks after this, look for something called 'VAG Tacho USB'... It is going for £12 in some places on the net!

HAVE FUN DOING THIS MOD!...........

Ant

Last edited:

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
This would've been essential ...about 2 years ago mate :)... Where've you been? I'm sure a few guides and threads have been done already, covering most aspects and troubleshooting / problems about it. Try searching in future :) Top - Search > Advanced Search > Ibiza Mk2 etc, and type in the keyword box.

Awesome guide all the same, I had the buzzer problem too! And my handbrake light still stays on...

oobumblebeeoo

Jun 1, 2010
lol

ok bud, you'll probably find it's not actually a handbrake light, because the light strip wasn't swapped over and the lights are mapped in a different place on the GTI clocks; it's probably the headlight indicator light or something like that.

If you still have the original black clocks do the swap on the coloured strip where it says about prising off the plastic solder points.

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
no it's exactly the same you know. They were pretty much the same with 96 models anyway. I had a digital VDO mileage thing too... as yours was all manual. Plus I had a Clock, not a rev counter. So I've replaced the whole unit. with clocks that had 74k (rather than the original 70k) which was handy :)

I'm thinking different loom for the Cupra clocks? Cos the switch works, I've tested it.

oobumblebeeoo

Jun 1, 2010
@CEY

Oh sorry bud, forgive me.
Thought you was on about a '93 or something like my one.

Yeah, defo right I think, all down to the loom revision.

Guess things would differ on the symptoms then.

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
No worries buddy! :) Yeah man!... Mine was a straight swap, with some irritating niggles. Some of which you've delved into above. Wish I could sort my handbrake one. I've become used to it, but it used to be irritating at night. I'd put my mobile infront of it!

Matt-18

Seat Ibiza 1.4
Jul 30, 2010
Gloucester
This is a good guide, but at the moment I have a clock as one of my dials and not a rev counter. I have just bought the GTI clocks with a rev counter. All I wanna know, is can you replace the clock with the rev counter doing a striaght swap. Or is it not possible? The reason I got the GTI clocks was for the rev counter, but if you can't connect it up then I won't bother. Help would be appreciated :)

oobumblebeeoo

Jun 1, 2010
This is a good guide, but at the moment I have a clock as one of my dials and not a rev counter. I have just bought the GTI clocks with a rev counter. All I wanna know, is can you replace the clock with the rev counter doing a striaght swap. Or is it not possible? The reason I got the GTI clocks was for the rev counter, but if you can't connect it up then I won't bother. Help would be appreciated :)

I'm guessing you can, there is only one plug that connects everything on both non-gti and gti models and are all the same. The instrument panel is a digital rev counter as well =0)

Gav_F

Jul 15, 2010
just put my gti clocks in :) reset the service indicator and removed abs light from bottom row!

Last edited:

Gav_F

Jul 15, 2010
had a problem when i took it down the road, oil pressure light came on (flashing and beeping) :( so in go the old clocks loool

LMJ

May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Don't be put off that easily mate. It's to do with 2 oil pressure sensors rather than just the one in a standard / NON - GTi Ibiza iirc. Its a case of adjusting a few wires in the loom behind. I can't remember where I found it on here exactly... But it's there somewhere! Mine are fine :)

MarosGT

Is it possible on 6K0 ibiza?

Hi, I'd like to know if this guide works on first 6K ibizas launched in 1993? In my opinion it doesn't work but better to ask :) In the picture above I can see stock clocks with mechanical ODOmeter and digital clock, I have the same one. I want GTi clocks and mainly the digital ODOmeter with fuel consumption meter and trip distance like newer Ibiza's since 1994 have. Is it possible? thank you very much for the answer ;)

soantheseat

"as well as my indicator relay was buzzing on accessory ignition.
-I sorted the buzzing alone by taking out the right hand indicator bulb out!"

I now have exactly this problem with rebuilt set of clocks. Your solution works too!

Does anyone know WHY this happens??? :cry:

Ibiza Cupra HUN

Hy! I know is not the corret forum for my qiestion, but I have one question. I would like to by a short shifter for my car 97 Ibiza Cupra 2.0 16V I can't found just onley 99 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T that one is correct for my car or no or I can find a correct one for my car? Anybody can help me please?! THX!

VDub2625

Dec 8, 2013
Hello!

I know this is a years-old topic, but I am a VW Mk3 enthusiast from the USA and I'm just really curious about these similar clusters from SEATs. Does anyone have pictures of one disassembled so I can compare? Perhaps a picture of the icon strip, with backlighting so all the icons can be seen? Many thanks!!

VDub2625

Dec 8, 2013
Like this:

USA Mk3 clusters:
faculty.ccp.ed u/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech/dashclustermod/Dsc05509.jpg

Euro (early?) Golf VR6 cluster:
img.tapatalk.co m/5fc71726-d042-a1ca.jpg

(remove the spaces as I seem to not be allowed to show you a picture)

VDub2625

Dec 8, 2013
They didn't work when you took the space out in edu and com?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.