*HUMMING/DRONING NOISE! HELP!*

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
Hi guys,

I’m getting a humming/droning noise coming from the rear of the car (2015 mk3 Leon). It starts when I get to around 40MPH and continues from there. If I put the car in neutral and roll/coast it still drones/hums. Classic wheel bearing sound, however after two mechanics checked it I’ve been informed that it’s definitely not the wheel bearing. They only checked for any other wheel bearing symptoms and didn’t complete a full check to figure out what the noise actually was, but the wheel bearing has been ruled out. I’ve changed both rear Tyres as I was aware that this could be the culprit but still making the noise! Anybody know what else it could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Could be a buckle wheel also, if you search the forum you will. Find some info, i have a link somwere ill have a look, its for a weight that goes on the rear subframe harmonic damper

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Has the car ever had a clout or even a big pothole incident? If your profile name matches your engine bhp then your rear suspension isn't adjustable but I had droning once when the rear toe and camber was knocked out by a pothole, it would have to be quite bad to impact a torsion bar setup though.

Reactions: CardiffFR150

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
Has the car ever had a clout or even a big pothole incident? If your profile name matches your engine bhp then your rear suspension isn't adjustable but I had droning once when the rear toe and camber was knocked out by a pothole, it would have to be quite bad to impact a torsion bar setup though.

Hmm good question. Well my girlfriend uses the car as well as me and funny enough this noise magically appeared one day when she had the car lol. She’s adamant she never struck no pot hole or had any incident at all. However when I look at the rear wheels, the right rear wheel looks as if it’s tucked under the wheel arch more than the left rear wheel is. Does that even make sense?

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
If it's visibly different then well worth a four wheel alignment check, but if it is a torsion beam then one of the hubs must be broken clean off.

Do you think it could just need realignment? It is visibly different to the other wheel

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
You can't realign a torsion beam, but you can bend it (or something else) during the impact. Have it all checked to see if the wheels are pointing where they are supposed to.

Reactions: CardiffFR150

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If one of the wheels looks 'odd' my bet is that's your culprit. Does the car drive ok? Feel like it's pulling at all?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members