hybrid or big turbo?

Friggerpants

I have a GTB2260VK kit for sale if you're intrested ;-)

I own the Skoda Fabia on the Darkside website, and I'm currently returning to standard.

Email me on [email protected] if you're intrested........

(looking at around £1300 + your turbo/downpipe)

Mar 25, 2009
bath
thanks for the offer mate but i want to keep my turbo/downpipe just in case i ever want to return it back to standard.

but £1300 is a wicked price

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
I can see this thread has moved on a bit, so here's some info for you Zach:

- The GTB kits Ryan sells are better because you can swap the turbos on them, so if you got a 1756VK and wanted to upgrade later, you could keep the tubular manifold and exchange the turbo unit.

However, if you just want a 2260 to start off with, which it sounds like you're going to definately want when racing against your mate's car, then a TIG welded 1.6TD manifold and flange would still do the job extremely well for you.

I can get you a pic if you want, but I'm not sure if it'd be as clear as you'd like. There will be pics of this type of job, with detailed pics I'm sure your welder can use, if you do a search over on www.tdiclub.com . I know I've seen them, so just look and you will find.

FWIW, in engineering terms the tubular manifold is probably better, and they are certainly a lot harder to make than doing TIG welding, but the TIG welded ones have been proven to hold, time after time.

In an ideal world, if you've got the dough, then go for Ryan's kit which is excellent, otherwise try and do a welding job on it, and get it converted to vacuum actuator, and you're good to go.

And I know what you mean about the VAT issue on Ryan's website, I mentioned that too him and he politely acknowledged my complaint, but he says it's clear on the website that VAT is excluded from listed prices, whereas I didn't think it was so clear, as you found as well.

Mar 25, 2009
bath
Cheers for the info Leon, I think if I do go with the 2260 I will just get Ryan's kit, it's not cheap but I am after longevity, so hopefully that and the southbend clutch should see a good few years of happy motoring

Friggerpants

Would you be intrested if i didn't require your turbo/downpipe?

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
Cheers for the info Leon, I think if I do go with the 2260 I will just get Ryan's kit, it's not cheap but I am after longevity, so hopefully that and the southbend clutch should see a good few years of happy motoring

Hi Zach,

I'd bet my bottom dollar that a properly TIG welded turbo would last YEARS, and a guy I know who has indeed been doing it for years, has never had a failure, and he's done quite a few.

So I wouldn't worry about that.

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
zach225 said:
Does it work out much cheaper leon?

Yes, it is worth the saving - RyanP's kit is £2340 (inc. VAT) and you could save quite a bit if you did it yourself with a TIG welded manifold:

-There's a GTB2260VK on eBay at the moment for £600 from a low mileage vehicle and it looks great (RyanP sells them new for £930 inc. VAT if you want a new one, for example).

-The turbo on eBay will also need converting to vacuum actuator:

From Darkside Developments website - the vacuum actuator inc. bracket for GTB turbos is £96 inc. VAT

Please Note - The VNT Lever on the turbocharger will also need to be shortened. We offer a complete Vacuum Conversion service for customers who require this, please contact us for details

-Get a flange, £30-40

Then you need a Mk3 Golf 1.6TD manifold from a scrapyard, £=not much

Get them welded together, and then you need a downpipe.

So depending on what you get the scrapyard parts for, and add on the little bits like that are in Ryan's full kit, if you do it yourself you'll have everything for a lot less than £2340 Ryan is charging for the full kit inc. VAT, around half the price if you got the slightly used turbo from eBay.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2009
bath
Definitely worth looking into propperly, is there more info on the tig welded manifold anywhere?

And cheers for all your help mate :)

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
this is the welded manifold I was going to use before I went for the tubular manifold:

Photo%2021-03-2012%2015%2036%2023%20(HDR).jpg

Photo%2021-03-2012%2015%2036%2032%20(HDR).jpg

Mar 25, 2009
bath
cheers mate.

does anyone know if the awesome heavy duty clutch and sold flywheel would be up to the job on a GTB2260vk?

i dont want the chatter from the single mass and this says its silent, its also a significant saving on the southbend!

*edit
or has anyone shipped from southbend direct? the clutch kit comes in at just under £800 shipped here, i imagine there is a change of paying import tax tho, any ideas what that might be?

cheers

Last edited:

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
Hi Zach,

You get what you pay for, and Southbends are worth every penny. With the kind of torque you'll have with a 2260, I'd only trust a Southbend.

If you import one yourself, you may save a bit of dough, but it's a gamble as it all depends if you get hit with import taxes and duty + admin costs: if you do, it'll work out more than getting one from RyanP, and if you don't then you save....but clutches are very heavy and I doubt they'd make it past customs officers without a good look to see why it's so unusually dense/heavy.... I wouldn't risk it and would get one from Ryan (which is exactly what I did when faced with the same dilemma some months back).

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2009
bath
cheers bud,

is ryan the beat person to get the LSD from too?

i can get a quaife for cheaper but with the fitting kit it comes to around about the same price, if not a bit less.

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
Hi Zach,

I've got a 5-speed, so have never researched buying an LSD, but I know many Americans have bought them off RyanP and have never had any problems, so I would trust Ryan to supply a good one.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members