I hate the wet

Oct 12, 2005
I am pi**ed off. I just got hammerd off the lights by a pug 406 estate. I am driving a leon fr tdi revo. I just cudnt get any traction and at all. Does anyone have any decent driving styles in the wet to get power down better.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I was watching a re-run of a Top Gear episode where they race a BMW M6, a baby Aston and a Porsche 911 Carrera S along a wet road in the Isle of Man.

The Porker was 100bhp down on the other two cars but due to the way it could transfer its power down through the chassis it was 10 seconds quicker in the wet over the same distance.

If you have too much torque, average tyres and driver aids on a wet day if you try and go off from standing start in anger youre basically going nowhere. Best to be humble on very wet days.

awelch

. . . . .
Mar 1, 2006
philtdi said:
Does anyone have any decent driving styles in the wet to get power down better.

:think:

Have raced in ff cars previously on track and if you can get it right then it is intensely satisfying, especially if you smoke a rear drive.

There is no real short cut on this, it takes practise and time to get to know your car, plus a few sets of front tyres. The basic principle is not to do anything that if forced, sudden or over enthusiastic.

General rule of thumb in the dry is 4k-5k rpm feed clutch in smoothly untill you have full throttle and 0 clutch. However in the wet the process is a little more complicated. Lower the revs and feed the clutch in slower, your aim is to obtain momentum without breaking the traction point of the tyres, this means ease it in slowly at first to get motion then build it so you feed in power on off clutch at the same time. But be prepared it takes practise to nail it.

Good luck!!:thumbup:

awelch

. . . . .
Mar 1, 2006
Typos
not to do anything that IS forced

build it up so you feed power on and let clutch off at the same time.

awelch

. . . . .
Mar 1, 2006
rickmyster said:
try driving a lcr in the wet grr

one word for that, "HANDFULL"

but get it right and its smiles all round. followed a TVR griff 500 in the web on a hill slippery road near westerham and he couldn't lose me, his tail was like fish out of water.

rst_cupra_r

jamie from essex
Jul 23, 2005
Braintree, Essex
i dont find gettin traction in the wet in my lcr wit revo tht hard just takes alot of practise i usually never drive wit the t/c on, then i have revs around 2.5k clutch just b4 bittin and handbrake up dump the handbrake feather the revs as it just starts rolling dump the clutch and lash it from 4k thn bosh straight into second and im gone woohoo, (prob all the yrs i practised in my rst which for a light lil car had monster torque and torque steered like a b1tch) im not up myself thts how it works for me just dont dump th clutch an lash the acc pedal or ull be spinnin all over th shop

awelch

. . . . .
Mar 1, 2006
Had a little search around, would anyone be interested in a thread in the guide section about driving techniques? ( obviously all track related of course)

Be good to share some knowledge for those all important track days.

What do you think??

CUPRA99

Sep 20, 2004
West Yorkshire
I either set off in 2nd or change from 1st to 2nd gear at 3k as fast as I can, you have to rev it to about 4k when setting off in 2nd or it bogs down. Thats what I do anyway.

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
awelch said:
one word for that, "HANDFULL"

but get it right and its smiles all round. followed a TVR griff 500 in the web on a hill slippery road near westerham and he couldn't lose me, his tail was like fish out of water.

In the LCR I had to feed the power in slowly in first and boot it more in second although that still span the wheels.
In the Chim I just dont boot it at all in the wet! Once bitten and all that.

Thats the problem with turbo'd and big engine cars the torque arrives in one big lump low down the rev range which makes for traction problems in the wet.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.