Ibiza 2010 Boot won't open!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've been looking at a parts listing and I think that the part you would replace is called "lid lock with micro switch" and is part number 6J3 827 505B, maybe check what the part number is on your car, it could be 6J3 827 505A, but that part has been revised up to "B" - I've forgotten but it is a 2 door car you have, 4 door cars use a different part number I think. I did search as far as I could and did not find any other item like "locking module" listed - which was what I was looking for! If you can confirm that the cable form plugs into the item with the part number I have listed, then you should phone your local SEAT dealer for a price for that spare part. Nearly new on ebay looks like roughly £40.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
I've been looking at a parts listing and I think that the part you would replace is called "lid lock with micro switch" and is part number 6J3 827 505B, maybe check what the part number is on your car, it could be 6J3 827 505A, but that part has been revised up to "B" - I've forgotten but it is a 2 door car you have, 4 door cars use a different part number I think. I did search as far as I could and did not find any other item like "locking module" listed - which was what I was looking for! If you can confirm that the cable form plugs into the item with the part number I have listed, then you should phone your local SEAT dealer for a price for that spare part. Nearly new on ebay looks like roughly £40.

Hey Rum4mo Thanks again for this, gone above and beyond. Yes my car is a two door. I have found some pictures of my inside my tailgate and the part here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82985166@N03/albums

I have zoomed in onto the part and the part number does read 6J3 827 505 but it does not state if its an A or B. I have looked around on ebay and there are some that look a pretty good match, the only thing i have noticed is that on these they either say VW golf , which i do know is SEAT group but does that matter and also the manual override switch is plastic, where if you look at my pictures its metal. i have also seen this link

http://www.realoem.me/Seat/E/IB/2009/639/R/8/827/827000

and it describes the A and B parts are for 4 door models but then say 2 doors are 6J3827505 with no letter. Scroll down to number 8 in the list view and their are a variety

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've just checked up the parts listing that I was, the 4 door car's locking unit should start with "6J4" whereas it seems the 2 door car's locking unit starts with "6J3" - so maybe recheck that site, as my one does list "blank" which would get fitted at factory, then "A" followed by its replacement "B" - of course "blank" "A" or "B" would fit your car but "A" or "B" should be newer/better and a dealer should only be selling the "B" version now. That site that you have used, can you not just input "part numbers" and it should show you which cars it was used on, make sure you select only UK types of cars as that might changes things.

Okay I've just checked that site that you are using and it agrees with me, also no other VW Group cars are listed as using these parts, so avoid VW etc and stick with SEAT Ibiza MK5 when searching for one on line.

Last edited:

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hi guys

Have done a search and a few things on Google but all for earlier cars.

gf just got home and the boot is locked shut, I have tried locking and unlocking a few times but nothing, any help appreciated, is there an emergency internal release?

Thank you Rob

Hey rob

I find that.I'm having the same problem. With your broken wire where was it actually broken on the wire?

Thanks again and if you took it to dealer how much did it cost you?

Thanks

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I hope that you do get a response from "Rob" as coming back with "exactly what was wrong and what fixed it" is really how all of us forum members should be operating!

Another thought though not very relevant right now, initially you posted that you could not open your boot, it is very easy to see now that what had happened was that your boot lock was staying locked and not unlocking, so neither the boot handle or the key fob would help you open it.

So, that would be why replacing the boot handle did nothing as it only lets you open an unlocked boot.

That means that it still goes back to that lock got ever getting unlocked, have you tried manually moving bits at the locking area to unlock it, then operated the boot handle to open it?

There must be two elements of that boot lock, an electric locking function solenoid/motor and an electric open function that only allows an unlocked boot to open, so, when the car is locked you can open only the boot by pressing the right pad on your key - that will unlock AND open the boot lock. To open an unlocked boot you only have to grab the boot handle and that will only operate the boot "open" part of that assembly.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
I hope that you do get a response from "Rob" as coming back with "exactly what was wrong and what fixed it" is really how all of us forum members should be operating!

Another thought though not very relevant right now, initially you posted that you could not open your boot, it is very easy to see now that what had happened was that your boot lock was staying locked and not unlocking, so neither the boot handle or the key fob would help you open it.

So, that would be why replacing the boot handle did nothing as it only lets you open an unlocked boot.

That means that it still goes back to that lock got ever getting unlocked, have you tried manually moving bits at the locking area to unlock it, then operated the boot handle to open it?

There must be two elements of that boot lock, an electric locking function solenoid/motor and an electric open function that only allows an unlocked boot to open, so, when the car is locked you can open only the boot by pressing the right pad on your key - that will unlock AND open the boot lock. To open an unlocked boot you only have to grab the boot handle and that will only operate the boot "open" part of that assembly.

TYes now that you said thhat, t make sense why the handle did nothing, so that was a waste lol. but live and learn. wel i plan to next play with wires, feel around for any damage, test for a short. if nothing then i will then try another electric latch (lid lock with micro switch). called seat and its £70.00 which not too bad, as i bougt a handle of ebay for £30 and was a dud, so always that risk, where as seat is guranteed to work,but only down side is its not returnable, so if it dont fix the problem then im out £70, hence why i need to nail down is it wiring or not.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, anyone standing back away from a problem can usually calmly and with no limit of time, work things out better! I know it is a different situation when it is "your" problem! I'd be very tempted to buy one from a newish car , ie a scrappy, but at the moment there does not seem to be any of that exact part number available, ie an "6J3 ------ A" or a "6J3 ------- B".

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Partsgateway, I have not got a clue about them, but they are selling a used "B" version for £59.99 delivered if that suits you.

Just Google "6J3 827 505B " and you will find it.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
I've just checked up the parts listing that I was, the 4 door car's locking unit should start with "6J4" whereas it seems the 2 door car's locking unit starts with "6J3" - so maybe recheck that site, as my one does list "blank" which would get fitted at factory, then "A" followed by its replacement "B" - of course "blank" "A" or "B" would fit your car but "A" or "B" should be newer/better and a dealer should only be selling the "B" version now. That site that you have used, can you not just input "part numbers" and it should show you which cars it was used on, make sure you select only UK types of cars as that might changes things.

Okay I've just checked that site that you are using and it agrees with me, also no other VW Group cars are listed as using these parts, so avoid VW etc and stick with SEAT Ibiza MK5 when searching for one on line.

Hey rum.

You are completely right I. Looked back at site and it says 6j4. I wasn't reading properly. Noob mistake.on my part lol:confused:

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Partsgateway, I have not got a clue about them, but they are selling a used "B" version for £59.99 delivered if that suits you.

Just Google "6J3 827 505B " and you will find it.

Yeah I've used parts gateway before and it is a good service. They send u email quotes and then u can message the people directly and then they message you back. Well I have a plan of action now and that find out if nits wiring or not. Once that's done I can decide where to go as for £60 I might as well get a new.one from seat with warranty. But ill let you know how I get on with things ad I go along should be looking this week nd so keep you posted.

Thanks again you be been the light at the end of the tunnel for me lol. Seat cupra need like 20 of you running the forums we wouldn't never need a dealership again lol

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Not a problem, remember any of us MK5 Ibiza forum users might end up with this problem, so helping each other fix things can also maybe mean that if "our" car also has that problem, all of this could just help in leading to a quick repair being effected first time. (good plan anyway!)

Edit:- I do take your point on the fact that a new SEAT dealer supplied locking unit is not much more than that used one, I probably got fooled by the partsgateway pricing, ie £59.99 and your indicated SEAT new price of £70 and in "our" mind it could look like £20 cheaper - not really!

Last edited:

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall

Hey Rum hope you been keeping well. Just want to pick your brain again. I member you saying the blank, A or the B should work in my car fir the switch (in your quote I have tagged). I'm finding it hard to find B's or A's but I am finding a few that end in D's of my item and they look the.same.except that they seem to have swapped the metal latch arm to a plastic one. I'm guessing this is them.cutting.costs. Do you think this.would.work as I know I could go seat but £70 just seems.mad for something I cant return if it isn't the issue. Let me know thoughts.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I am out and about at the moment, but if all the rest of these part numbers are the same, then maybe a C or D is okay. Tho, prior to buying you should check up with a SEAT dealer what the latest version for your car is. Now maybe the parts listing online is not fully up to date, though I would think that only explains C version missing, certainly not the D version I'd expect.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
you were right

I am out and about at the moment, but if all the rest of these part numbers are the same, then maybe a C or D is okay. Tho, prior to buying you should check up with a SEAT dealer what the latest version for your car is. Now maybe the parts listing online is not fully up to date, though I would think that only explains C version missing, certainly not the D version I'd expect.

Hey rum. I gave them a call today and asked for a quote on a lid boot with micro switch and they quoted £70 again. But i then asked for the part number, to be sure that they are selling me the correct one. The technician began saying let me check the system as it may of had some changes and then he read out the part number but ended with the 'D' so it is what you initially said and i what i asked for. Even better though the part is now only £20, so happy with that, but i still dont trust them, becuase i bet if i never asked for the part number they would of charged me £70 and gave me the £20 one. So i may just end up buying the part and if it work then great, if not then i guess its not the worst £20 compared to what initially thought.

But thanks again, ill keep you posted on how things go.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Good, as long as you maybe take a picture of it when you go to collect it at the SEAT dealer - then walk away if the cost has suddenly gone up again.

I'd like to see a picture of the old version and the new version just to see what they have altered/modified, you said that going by pictures you had seen online, a metal part had been replaced with a plastic/nylon part, that is weird, if I remember correctly, when I had to sort out the hatch lock/release on my daughter's previous early 2002 6K Ibiza, I found that SEAT had replaced what had been years ago, a metal part with a plastic/nylon part - and I was blaming that for causing that part to be troublesome, ie due to the initial design relying on the "inertia" of that heavier part being "thrown" across by the solenoid, and now that lighter plastic/nylon part was not getting "thrown" across as easily really due to the solenoid not being able to load enough energy into9 that newer part! But, you never know, maybe the rest of the design has changed to sort this out - you will find out!!

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Good, as long as you maybe take a picture of it when you go to collect it at the SEAT dealer - then walk away if the cost has suddenly gone up again.

I'd like to see a picture of the old version and the new version just to see what they have altered/modified, you said that going by pictures you had seen online, a metal part had been replaced with a plastic/nylon part, that is weird, if I remember correctly, when I had to sort out the hatch lock/release on my daughter's previous early 2002 6K Ibiza, I found that SEAT had replaced what had been years ago, a metal part with a plastic/nylon part - and I was blaming that for causing that part to be troublesome, ie due to the initial design relying on the "inertia" of that heavier part being "thrown" across by the solenoid, and now that lighter plastic/nylon part was not getting "thrown" across as easily really due to the solenoid not being able to load enough energy into9 that newer part! But, you never know, maybe the rest of the design has changed to sort this out - you will find out!!

Yeah tbh i wish it was still with the metal arm as i feel that this is going to be way more sturdy, but i guess you can only get what you can get. i probs can get the same but its via parts gateway where they take it off another car, which doesnt bother me, its more the if it dont work these companies are miles away from me, so returning i feel would be issue. ill take a side by side on gotten, but if you click links i have separate pictures, but i believe it is purely the nylon arm and possibly some wiring inside that is different from first glance.

Original: https://www.flickr.com/photos/82985166@N03/34732977435/in/album-72157683867342156/

New D version: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Ibiza-SC-6J-6P-TAILGATE-LOCK-only-for-3-doors-2008-/192178535043

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes seems odd that VW Group keep dancing between diecast alloy and plastic/nylon, but you are doing the right thing, buying a used old style when a new, with warranty new style is maybe even cheaper is a no brainer. Did you need to get it ordered up, or are they (now) a stock item?(but flying off the shelves)

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Yes seems odd that VW Group keep dancing between diecast alloy and plastic/nylon, but you are doing the right thing, buying a used old style when a new, with warranty new style is maybe even cheaper is a no brainer. Did you need to get it ordered up, or are they (now) a stock item?(but flying off the shelves)

Hey yeah I had to get it ordered in because none in stock and if you try to call up and just merely describe it e.g Boot latch or locking boot latch. They bring up up the 6J3 etc witout a letter in the end and these one supposedly are £70.73 but I believe it's not the original one I have in car now. It's the D one buy just.merely charge u for original one. I would love to have tested it and have ordered the £70 one and see if it's original or the latest D version. So if anyone else reading this you need to quote the part number as the system seems to bring up old until you specifically ask what part number is.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
So, did you get it ordered in and fitted by that SEAT dealer, or did you order it in and fit it yourself, also, did replacing this latch sort out your boot problem - you have not made that clear?

When dealing with Audi, VW and SEAT dealership parts departments, I've never ever had issues with them using older/higher prices, or them not correcting me and saying "that part has been superseded and is now ******* M" for instance, their parts listing system will always be getting updated overnight with any new info - that is strange! What tends to happen when parts get superseded for reliability reasons or packaging gets changed, is that VAG will assist all its dealers to dispose of old stock - that is where a lot of the non VAG dealers trading on ebay buy their stock at auction. Where parts get superseded for other reasons, older stock will get sold only for use in older cars, then move on to the newer versions once stocks have been depleted.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
So, did you get it ordered in and fitted by that SEAT dealer, or did you order it in and fit it yourself, also, did replacing this latch sort out your boot problem - you have not made that clear?

When dealing with Audi, VW and SEAT dealership parts departments, I've never ever had issues with them using older/higher prices, or them not correcting me and saying "that part has been superseded and is now ******* M" for instance, their parts listing system will always be getting updated overnight with any new info - that is strange! What tends to happen when parts get superseded for reliability reasons or packaging gets changed, is that VAG will assist all its dealers to dispose of old stock - that is where a lot of the non VAG dealers trading on ebay buy their stock at auction. Where parts get superseded for other reasons, older stock will get sold only for use in older cars, then move on to the newer versions once stocks have been depleted.

Hello RUM sorry for delay, tried few days ago but phone would not load forumn. But yes a change appears to have solved the problem, i will wait and see, my only worry is, when i came to do the actual work the original latch started working again and my boot was opening fine? But i changed it anyway and we will see. because if it stops working again i guess i know its a wiring issue.

Well im not sure, i can only go on what was happening to me, calling up and they were charging £70, which i would of had to pay over phone he said, so that they can order part in, but once i asked what the part number was, it seems that their system then brought up all the different variations? Would he have told me if i never asked for part number?...who knows, but end o f day just thankful for yourself and others help and i guess my head was expecting £50 - £70 So spedning £20 is the worlds best discount lol.

Still not over as like i said earlier, my old latch started working again, so part of me does feel its wiring, but will just keep an eye on it.

Progressive Parts, performance parts and tuning specialists