Ibiza Cupra pd160 question

iwcham1979

Jul 7, 2009
Hello guys, I just bought a Cupra Ibiza Tdi, and I got a feeling that my ex VRs pulled easier and was generally nippier than the Cupra... Is that normal? My Cupra seems to be a bit sluggish and not so responsive to about 2200rpm... It’s like it hesitates for a second and accelerates a tiny bit slower than I think it should...Is the engine tuned differently, or the fact that it has the Seat Sport Fmic that needs to be filled with air that makes it a bit sluggish. All in all, Vrs seems to be a faster and nippier car... Maybe Cupra would nail it at higher rpm and long accelerations, but definitely not the impression while driving?! I mean the Cupra can spin wheels in second gear if I floor it, once it goes past the turbo lag or something... Bottom line, Cupra has 118kw and Vrs 96... It looks like it’s the other way around... Maybe the Cupra has some slight engine problem?! She pulls from 2200rpm as it should, but say 3rd gear and 1500rpm says Oh Ok, ready, steady, steady, and gooo... Maybe I am expecting too much, maybe the Fmic and a bigger turbo make it more sluggish at low rpm than the ASZ with a smaller turbo and a small smic. The turbo looks new on inspection, and there is no normal slight turbo whistle to hear... so I guess the turbo is freshly done by the previous owner... the engine on the Cupra sounds really really healthy though when up to temp, the window open and I revv it...No smoke, can’t hear the turbo, really nice, no knocks, or smoke or anything like that... No smoke when I pull out the dipstick....Cant sound any better...
:)
Should ARL pull briskly and immediately at low rpm?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
If its had a new turbo maybe needs actuator arm rod setting up, hence the turbo lag issue

iwcham1979

Jul 7, 2009
Guys, I found a torn hose and a vacum leak. My brakes are bad as well because od it. I have ordered a new one. I hope this will cure the lower power problem. I am supeices the car drove this well with a split vacum line... and no limp mode.

Rioja Cupra

Sep 11, 2016
Hello guys, I just bought a Cupra Ibiza Tdi, and I got a feeling that my ex VRs pulled easier and was generally nippier than the Cupra... Is that normal? My Cupra seems to be a bit sluggish and not so responsive to about 2200rpm... It’s like it hesitates for a second and accelerates a tiny bit slower than I think it should...Is the engine tuned differently, or the fact that it has the Seat Sport Fmic that needs to be filled with air that makes it a bit sluggish. All in all, Vrs seems to be a faster and nippier car... Maybe Cupra would nail it at higher rpm and long accelerations, but definitely not the impression while driving?! I mean the Cupra can spin wheels in second gear if I floor it, once it goes past the turbo lag or something... Bottom line, Cupra has 118kw and Vrs 96... It looks like it’s the other way around... Maybe the Cupra has some slight engine problem?! She pulls from 2200rpm as it should, but say 3rd gear and 1500rpm says Oh Ok, ready, steady, steady, and gooo... Maybe I am expecting too much, maybe the Fmic and a bigger turbo make it more sluggish at low rpm than the ASZ with a smaller turbo and a small smic. The turbo looks new on inspection, and there is no normal slight turbo whistle to hear... so I guess the turbo is freshly done by the previous owner... the engine on the Cupra sounds really really healthy though when up to temp, the window open and I revv it...No smoke, can’t hear the turbo, really nice, no knocks, or smoke or anything like that... No smoke when I pull out the dipstick....Cant sound any better...
:)
Should ARL pull briskly and immediately at low rpm?
Mine did the same with a sticky actuator on the turbo.
The VNT geometry adjustment was sluggish due to age, rust, carbon build up.
Now it has jammed solid. Turbo removal time.
Struggling to resist the urge to upgrade the turbo at the same time, due to it being such an old vehicle.
I've had this car since new and it always had a slight turbo whistle when pushed, which is how I normally drive.

iwcham1979

Jul 7, 2009
Guys, It was a boost hose that hada a hole in it. My brakes were horrible because of it neing busted as well... I could pump my brake and make it hard while driving. All sorted now, and the car drives great!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise