Ibiza FR Sport 115, a step backwards

Has anyone else felt like this?

• Total voters
Apr 28, 2019
I really like the interior layout, infotainment and ride of the latest Ibiza but I feel far less feedback from the steering and pedals of the new one compared with the previous generation.

I drive the 95PS 1.0 TSI version quite regularly and struggle with the gear changes every time I get in it - can barely feel anything through the clutch. Brakes are also VERY violent with barely any travel time between 0-100% engagement.

Totally agree with the first point and definitely the brakes, I usually brake gradually and increase the pressure as I need it more, but this thing wants to slam you through the windscreen!

I owned a previous generation FR with the 1.4 ACT engine and I feel it was far more deserving of the FR badge in terms of performance and driving characteristics.

Now that they've axed the 1.5 TSI from the Ibiza, FR is basically just a trim level which is a shame.

Don't get me wrong, the 115 has got speed when you need it, but it's just an SE with an FR badge, which is a total joke. They should keep the 1.0 to the lower trims only. As I said above, they'd never stick this in a real rally or race like they would before.

Does anyone know if SEAT reads this forum? I'd love a actual reply from them about this. I'm considering seriously complaining to them about it.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I wrote exactly this when the Mk6 first came out
A 115 PS motor is maybe just about OK, but a 95 PS is really devaluing the Formula Racing brand.

Reactions: SilverPilgrim

SilverPilgrim

Apr 3, 2019
UK
I wrote exactly this when the Mk6 first came out
A 115 PS motor is maybe just about OK, but a 95 PS is really devaluing the Formula Racing brand.

Yeah I think 115PS is about the bare minimum for an Ibiza to carry the FR badge. Even then I don't think the performance of that engine comes close to matching the great looks.

Going back 2 generations, the FR was offered with the same 1.8 turbo as the cupra, in a different state of tune. The top FRs of the previous generation (1.4 twincharger and 1.4 TSI) also had the performance to back up the badge. The 1.4 ACT was 90% of a hot hatch but much cheaper to run.

Fair play to anyone who got in there and grabbed a 1.5 FR before they were pulled!

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
And then I have that 115PS engine in an Xcellence Lux, more aimed at comfort than performance!

FR has become like R-Line, S-Line, M-Sport, etc. It's just a badge that comes with slightly lowered suspension and some visual tweaks. Cupra is for the fast ones.

My ideal Ibiza would still be a specced out FR with the 1.5. I'd have been very torn between the FR Sport and Xcellence Lux if the 1.5 was still available. Do you go for the power or the spec? Although if I could have added ACC to an FR Sport I'd have gone for that. Other than the armrest (easily retrofitable) that's the only 'vital' from the Xcellence spec.

Kc512

Oct 6, 2018
Agree about the engine. Had the 1.2 TSI before and it was a brilliant drive. The 1.0 is feeble in comparison and much harder to drive smoothly (DSG excepted). Not to mention the 1.2 was silky-smooth and quiet with none of that thrashy 3 cylinder racket at low revs.

1.0 is actually faster on paper 0-60 but in the real world. any time you need some torque, the 1.2 would be long gone whilst the 1.0 driver picked the correct gear.

So I was disappointed with it from new, and though 18 months later I have got used to driving it, I still feel "Meh" about it, whereas the 1.2 could be exciting every day.

Couldn’t agree more to this mate. I’m seven months in and sadly it’s getting traded in. Theres just not enough there in the engine for me. I Just can’t get on with the engine to the point where it’s getting on my nerves on a daily basis. Having to drop it down to first approaching roundabouts and junctions at a slow pace really annoys me I’ve left it in second a few times and it’s stalled. Constantly have to drop it a gear to get it back on turbo otherwise you’ve got the lag. Such a shame as I really like the car and really couldn’t fault anything else on it from the build quality to the features I got for the money it’s just the engine that lets it down. Seat really need to get the 1.5 back in the options.

Kc512

Oct 6, 2018
I can concur the 1.5 engine especially with DSG in the Leon is amazing.

Mate I can imagine. I was holding out for the 1.5 in the Ibiza and it got pulled. As I said I can’t fault the car aside from how the engine runs on a daily basis. I still often look at it and think wow it looks mint and in many ways I’ll be sad to see it go and I know I’ll miss a lot of it’s features but for me personally having that oomph [ for want of a better word ] on tap when you want it far outweighs them features.

Reactions: MXP2090

Kc512

Oct 6, 2018
So true.
I've only had mine just over a week and had to check it was a 1.5 on the 1st day as it takes off.
The power is there when you need it without any effort, it's quite the sleeper.

Enjoy it mate. Not jealous at all :cheeky::cheeky:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Such a shame the 1.0 options are so crap. I'd love this car with a 1.5.

Even worse, the FR is on sale with a 1.0 MPI 79 bhp motor now. I've driven it and it's f****** hideous.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
The Ibiza is great with the 1.5 TSI, I got mine in 2018 with most of the factory extras. I'm going to trade it next year probably for an ID.3 but I can't fault the car at all, performance and handling are great. The only annoying thing is the unreliable Apple CarPlay.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.