Identify Facelift vs Pre-Facelift

Oct 17, 2022
Afternoon folks,

Just back from an interim service with a Seat dealership, who have quoted me two different prices for Full Link activation, depending on if the car is a Facelift or Pre-facelift model. I was convinced mine was a Facelift, but the dealership isn't sure and seems to disagree. Main reason I ask is the difference in quote is about £70 extra for pre-facelift.

What's the best way to identify a pre/post facelift Leon?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
OMG, you'd really expect a dealer to know whether your car is a facelift or not.

If your car is a Cupra I coudl easily list a number of things to help identify whether its a facelift or not, but as you've not stated what car you have its a little harder.

Simplest is the Seat badge on the front:

Pre facelifts on the front have the Smaller S, the facelifts have the larger one.

If you have LED lights there is a difference in their style, indicators are little triangles (and bulbs on the rear), where as on the facelift, on the front the day time running lights flash orange and on the rear are along line that flashes on both parts of the rear light (ie boot lid and body).

Facelift on the left:

1666797893758.png 1666798138307.png

There are plenty of other potential differences, but model spec can confuse matters...

Reactions: jdubya

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Well, if you have to be reminded what an indicator is...........🤪😛
Yeah I know what one is 99.9% of the time, then when I get in my new car its like a fog descends and I think everyone should hold deference to me in my "ultimate driving machine" 😂

Seriously though, I think some people are shocked when they see a courteous BMW driver, or other BMW drivers think I'm an imposter or there is something wrong with me and I need help :D

Could be worse, I could drive an Audi.

Anyway back on topic.

Reactions: Seriously?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Yeah I know what one is 99.9% of the time, then when I get in my new car its like a fog descends and I think everyone should hold deference to me in my "ultimate driving machine" 😂

Seriously though, I think some people are shocked when they see a courteous BMW driver, or other BMW drivers think I'm an imposter or there is something wrong with me and I need help :D

Could be worse, I could drive an Audi.

Anyway back on topic.
I know what you mean. I had an E91 and for 4 years I totally confused other motorists by always indicating, never tailgating, allowing people to burn me off at the traffic light Grand Prix and even letting people out at junctions where safe to do so:ROFLMAO:
Sorry, topic slide. As you were....

Oct 17, 2022
Tangentially related to this, does anyone have an example of what normally gets done during a Seat Care Interim Service? They haven’t updated the service logbook, and have no report of any work performed aside from an invoice for an oil change. They definitely didn’t wash/vacuum, so wondering what else they‘ve missed

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Assuming an Interim is a minor service, then the last one done on our Leon was oil & filter, sump plug, 'cleaner' and 'consumables' plus free vehicle health check.
If your dealer didn't wash it, I'd take that as a bonus. No free swirl marks ;) They deffo should have updated the service book though. Throw it back at them to stamp it up.

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If your dealer didn't wash it, I'd take that as a bonus. No free swirl marks ;) They deffo should have updated the service book though. Throw it back at them to stamp it up.
Agree 100% on the car washing.

I always specifically ask for my car NOT to be washed when it goes back to the dealer for any servicing, repairs or warranty work. I’ve seen the standard of dealership complimentary service washes (a.k.a free scratch ‘n swirl treatment) and I wouldn’t subject my car’s paintwork to that sort of treatment; gritty sponge and bucket of dirty grit-laden water that’s been used countless times on other customers cars. No thanks, my car deserves better.

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
So is it one price for an MIB1 radio and another for the facelift MIB2?

Is the MIB2 a bigger screen?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Ahhh so this maybe less about facelift, pre-facelift, and more about what MIB version you have.

So MIB1 (which would need to be changed to MIB2) is for cars up to around 2015. Think MIB2 came out for Model Year 2016 cars which would of been September 2015 build dates.

The easiest way to determine this is to check below your AC controls. If there is a USB port there you should be the cheaper one.

However, if you have the MIB connection in the glove box, that will likely be very £££

Either way I'd speak to someone like @East Yorkshire Retrofits to see what they charge, as its likely to be cheaper than dealer for either option anyway.

Oct 17, 2022
Ahhh so this maybe less about facelift, pre-facelift, and more about what MIB version you have.

So MIB1 (which would need to be changed to MIB2) is for cars up to around 2015. Think MIB2 came out for Model Year 2016 cars which would of been September 2015 build dates.

The easiest way to determine this is to check below your AC controls. If there is a USB port there you should be the cheaper one.

However, if you have the MIB connection in the glove box, that will likely be very £££

Either way I'd speak to someone like @East Yorkshire Retrofits to see what they charge, as its likely to be cheaper than dealer for either option anyway.

That's a good shout. Will speak to them and see if it's doable.

I definitely have MIB2, and have two USB ports in the centre console recess under the AC controls. I honestly thought the biggest giveaway would be the fact it's an 18 plate Leon from April 2018, but they were adamant. Oh well!

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018

I definitely have MIB2, and have two USB ports in the centre console recess under the AC controls. I honestly thought the biggest giveaway would be the fact it's an 18 plate Leon from April 2018, but they were adamant. Oh well!
Find another garage. Unless it sat about for a year before being registered, it's a facelift like ours. (May 2018 registered)

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

That's definitely a facelift, a maybe even be a MIB2.5 if its got the digital cockpit (has an optical cable connection). So it shoudl just be an activation fee nothing else.

Worrying that the dealer doesn't know that...

@East Yorkshire Retrofits did a few buts to my Carbon Edition and @paddy6789 's Cupra R so will look after you and likely charge less than the dealer too.

Afternoon folks,

Just back from an interim service with a Seat dealership, who have quoted me two different prices for Full Link activation, depending on if the car is a Facelift or Pre-facelift model. I was convinced mine was a Facelift, but the dealership isn't sure and seems to disagree. Main reason I ask is the difference in quote is about £70 extra for pre-facelift.

What's the best way to identify a pre/post facelift Leon?
Prefacelift requires a replacement USB port, that's where the extra cost is

Prefacelift has MIB2 6.5". Facelift has MIB2 8"
Prefacelift has single USB. Facelift has double USB