I'm coming home!

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Hey guy & gals,

After selling my Cupra, only about 8 months ago. I couldn't stay away and have now have ordered another one! (Delivery on Wed 28th)

This car gets under your skin!

Long story short, we had a bad time with a brand new Ateca but after a long fight I managed to reject it leaving me open to choose another car.

I tested a few. I was originally set on the Golf R or the GTi but the prices were too high and the build/wait time was too long.

Out of curiosity I had a test drive of the i30N and thought that it was very uncomfortable with a nasty plastic interior and made too many chavvy pops and bangs (not my thing) anyways I was always looking for a DSG equipped car so that was out of the question.

I also tested the M140i but I didn't take to it, lovely and hugely fast but the rear wheel drive set up will be a pain in the ass in this crappy Scottish weather!

As I missed my old Cupra so much it was a bit of a no brainer for me especially when it comes to the performance, spec and price. The guys at Fife Seat (literally 5 emails within an hour) they manged to secure me a new 290 DSG in Desire red which I pick up next Wednesday.

I do have a few questions regarding the 'new' 290 since Seat stopped producing the 300.

Is there any noticable difference with the drop in power? I've come from a 280 manual but as we all know those engines were rated lower than the actual output.

Also, due to these new WLTP regs have they changed the exhaust tone?

I'm also wondering how this new 7 speed DSG works with the Cupra, hopefully it doesn't hunt up and down constantly like some other cars with many gears that I've driven!

Thanks all, any help would be very appreciated!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Hey guy & gals,

After selling my Cupra, only about 8 months ago. I couldn't stay away and have now have ordered another one! (Delivery on Wed 28th)

This car gets under your skin!

Long story short, we had a bad time with a brand new Ateca but after a long fight I managed to reject it leaving me open to choose another car.

I tested a few. I was originally set on the Golf R or the GTi but the prices were too high and the build/wait time was too long.

Out of curiosity I had a test drive of the i30N and thought that it was very uncomfortable with a nasty plastic interior and made too many chavvy pops and bangs (not my thing) anyways I was always looking for a DSG equipped car so that was out of the question.

I also tested the M140i but I didn't take to it, lovely and hugely fast but the rear wheel drive set up will be a pain in the ass in this crappy Scottish weather!

As I missed my old Cupra so much it was a bit of a no brainer for me especially when it comes to the performance, spec and price. The guys at Fife Seat (literally 5 emails within an hour) they manged to secure me a new 290 DSG in Desire red which I pick up next Wednesday.

I do have a few questions regarding the 'new' 290 since Seat stopped producing the 300.

Is there any noticable difference with the drop in power? I've come from a 280 manual but as we all know those engines were rated lower than the actual output.

Also, due to these new WLTP regs have they changed the exhaust tone?

I'm also wondering how this new 7 speed DSG works with the Cupra, hopefully it doesn't hunt up and down constantly like some other cars with many gears that I've driven!

Thanks all, any help would be very appreciated!

Welcome back!

Reactions: Peller

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Welcome back to the fold!
Coming from a 290 Black edition, the two cars feel as fast as each other in gear with the DSG just being able to change gear faster than my hand can. Here's my mini review from the "Who's ordered a Cupra" thread:

The 7 speed DSG is very smooth on gear change and very very quick when it needs to be and then unobtrusive and almost imperceptible when not. When using the paddles it’s great and 7 gears isn’t really a problem as top won’t engage if the rpm is too low. Essentially you can drive it like a 6 speed most of the time.

It might just be me, but the steering rack feels marginally quicker in Cupra mode with a touch more weight - still feels very good.

The DCC feels slightly more taught in comfort, but it could just be because everything is brand new and still very tight. On Cupra it feels the same.

The Virtual dash is good but you can display far far too much into to the point where it’s just a distraction! I’ve switched it into central gauge mode so just shows RPM with speed in the centre and that’s perfect. It does look bloody good when you run it in full screen navigation mode though.

I really miss the bucket seats for looks and general body hugging ability, but after a 5.5 hour drive back home from Stockport (should have taken 2 hours less) the standard seat feels, dare I say it, a more comfy seat for everyday driving. It still needs buckets though as it’s the Cupra and the flagship...

Finally, exhaust. With a warm exhaust it crackles on overrun and definitely pops and bangs, but I can’t really hear any crack on gearchange, nor the DSG fart; it’s more of a very muted THWAP noise. I suspect as the exhaust beds in it will probably make more noises. On cold idle, it’s a deeper note with more of a burble, which deepens after about 15-20s.

I’m gonna be controversial here, but compared to driving the manual...I prefer the manual. It’s to easy to put your toe down and bash through the gears with DSG; I feel less involved. With manual I can rev match myself, left foot brake, hold the gears when I want and feel more like I’m part of the car. I actually feel like I’m not concentrating as much too so I can see me getting quite complacent the longer I drive.

All in all, it’s the little improvements all round that make it a better car overall...maybe I’m just being ultra picky...but at least I’m honest!

If you want to hear the exhaust notes, go to my Youtube channel where I've uploaded a few static and dynamic vids.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCByQnmXF_Bq8oflsm2iukEw

Reactions: Peller and Rob66

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Welcome back to the fold!
Coming from a 290 Black edition, the two cars feel as fast as each other in gear with the DSG just being able to change gear faster than my hand can. Here's my mini review from the "Who's ordered a Cupra" thread:

The 7 speed DSG is very smooth on gear change and very very quick when it needs to be and then unobtrusive and almost imperceptible when not. When using the paddles it’s great and 7 gears isn’t really a problem as top won’t engage if the rpm is too low. Essentially you can drive it like a 6 speed most of the time.

It might just be me, but the steering rack feels marginally quicker in Cupra mode with a touch more weight - still feels very good.

The DCC feels slightly more taught in comfort, but it could just be because everything is brand new and still very tight. On Cupra it feels the same.

The Virtual dash is good but you can display far far too much into to the point where it’s just a distraction! I’ve switched it into central gauge mode so just shows RPM with speed in the centre and that’s perfect. It does look bloody good when you run it in full screen navigation mode though.

I really miss the bucket seats for looks and general body hugging ability, but after a 5.5 hour drive back home from Stockport (should have taken 2 hours less) the standard seat feels, dare I say it, a more comfy seat for everyday driving. It still needs buckets though as it’s the Cupra and the flagship...

Finally, exhaust. With a warm exhaust it crackles on overrun and definitely pops and bangs, but I can’t really hear any crack on gearchange, nor the DSG fart; it’s more of a very muted THWAP noise. I suspect as the exhaust beds in it will probably make more noises. On cold idle, it’s a deeper note with more of a burble, which deepens after about 15-20s.

I’m gonna be controversial here, but compared to driving the manual...I prefer the manual. It’s to easy to put your toe down and bash through the gears with DSG; I feel less involved. With manual I can rev match myself, left foot brake, hold the gears when I want and feel more like I’m part of the car. I actually feel like I’m not concentrating as much too so I can see me getting quite complacent the longer I drive.

All in all, it’s the little improvements all round that make it a better car overall...maybe I’m just being ultra picky...but at least I’m honest!

If you want to hear the exhaust notes, go to my Youtube channel where I've uploaded a few static and dynamic vids.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCByQnmXF_Bq8oflsm2iukEw
Spot on mate, thanks for the reply.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
What Ateca model and why did you reject it?
It was a 1.6 TDi SE Tech, the first issue was that the sat nav didn't work, after 3 new SD cards and numerous unhelpful visits to the crap dealer whom I'll not name but rhymes with Shark at the end! Basically the car was in and out the workshop for about 3 weeks (without courtesy car) only to develop more issues like the rear door speakers not working and flickering daytime running lights.

It was more an issue with the dealer not paying any attention and lying to Seat as their investigation recorded everytime the car was plugged into Seat diagnostics!

The oil fingerprints all over a brand new interior didn't help as much as their dodgy finace package went from 12k miles to 10k upon collection!

Bunch of cowboys.

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
It was a 1.6 TDi SE Tech, the first issue was that the sat nav didn't work, after 3 new SD cards and numerous unhelpful visits to the crap dealer whom I'll not name but rhymes with Shark at the end! Basically the car was in and out the workshop for about 3 weeks (without courtesy car) only to develop more issues like the rear door speakers not working and flickering daytime running lights.

It was more an issue with the dealer not paying any attention and lying to Seat as their investigation recorded everytime the car was plugged into Seat diagnostics!

The oil fingerprints all over a brand new interior didn't help as much as their dodgy finace package went from 12k miles to 10k upon collection!

Bunch of cowboys.
barnold shark?