I'm probably the dipstick here...

EoinM

ok...stupid question of the day...i dont have my car too long but checking the oil the other day...does anyone know how the hell to read the dipstick? its different from the one in the manual and i just need to be sure that everything is ok? tried a search but didnt get anything. cant believe i'm asking something so stupid:redface:

john_ach

Apr 25, 2006
Guessing its the unusual ribbed style one- Threw me too. All you have to do is wipe off oil, dip it and then read how many of the ribs have been filled with oil. Have to say, after figuring it out, I think its an improvement over looking for oil marks on a flat piece of steel.
Anyways, hope that helped.
Jon

ps- theres an old thread on this too, think bout a year ago.

johnvx220

May 10, 2007
Plymouth
Guessing its the unusual ribbed style one- Threw me too. All you have to do is wipe off oil, dip it and then read how many of the ribs have been filled with oil. Have to say, after figuring it out, I think its an improvement over looking for oil marks on a flat piece of steel.
Anyways, hope that helped.
Jon

ps- theres an old thread on this too, think bout a year ago.

I know its old fashion but give me a flat piece of steel with a couple of notches in it any day. It worked for over a 100 years so why change and it. It leave old f**ts like me having to check a manual just to check the oil. Progess - I dont think so :confused:.

john_ach

Apr 25, 2006
Im an engineer so its my life to further technology. If people hadn't, we wouldnt be talkin on here and you would have to phone your dealer-and we all know where that ends up!

Yeah, as JonoUK said, the max is where the plastic ribbed section becomes smooth and the min, the same at the other end, or off the end if its been a really long time since you checked!

wobblelino

Feb 7, 2008
Herts
I agree with you. The dipstick is definitely not easy to read. My dipstick on my old car was so much easier to check. It doesn't help that mine is black too not the easiest colour to look at the oil. Might have been easier if it was a different colour.

john_ach

Apr 25, 2006
Look for the ribs that have been filled with oil, the surface tension will hold the oil in the ribs, so just look for those that are filled and not where the oily mark is. I'm a young'un but surely its not that awkward!

johnvx220

May 10, 2007
Plymouth
Look for the ribs that have been filled with oil, the surface tension will hold the oil in the ribs, so just look for those that are filled and not where the oily mark is. I'm a young'un but surely its not that awkward!

BUT WHY CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!. Change is good. Now 204bhp for a 2.0l diesel engine where in the past my RS2000 MK2 110bhp and that was petrol, although it was great fun steering with its ass.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.