Haldex unit of manual Cupra

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Ok so stupid question. Does the Manual Cupra 300 have a Haldex unit on the diff? I ask because someone just told me only the DSG has the Haldex. I think it does, because I've been under the car and seen what looks darn like a Haldex to me! But hey, what do I know?

Also the clutch is a little jerky at the bite point. Garage think it might be the springs on the clutch but I'm going to let it develop. Clutch is not slipping.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Reactions: Mr Pig

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Can you explain what these things are please?
Clutch stop - fits on the floor behind the clutch pedal - reduces travel of pedal ( you don't need all the travel to change smoothly )

Clutch delay valve - there is a restrictor in the clutch line that stops the clutch returning quickly.
Unfortunately - if you like to get a move on - you can feel a slight delay in take up when changing gear.
Removing the valve makes the clutch act quicker ( IMO - more natural )

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Googled clutch delay valve and I bet that's what it is. What a fecjin stupid idea! Why would you do that on a performance car? I don't fancy the pedal stop but the valve is coming out. Fantastic information, thank you.

I'm assuming the bleed valve on top of the plastic block with the delay valve is where you bleed it from?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Another question. As the yellow delay valve comes out the top of the block through the bleed port, why do you need to remove the block from the car? Couldn't you just take out the bleed nipple and pull out the delay valve with the block still in the car?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Another question. As the yellow delay valve comes out the top of the block through the bleed port, why do you need to remove the block from the car? Couldn't you just take out the bleed nipple and pull out the delay valve with the block still in the car?
I just took out the yellow valve - some replace the complete block.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Just took out the clutch delay valve. Wow! Why the heck would you fit that to a car? The difference is night and day?

Thanks so much for the tip on that, the internet can be a great place :0)

Reactions: H Rafiq

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Just took out the clutch delay valve. Wow! Why the heck would you fit that to a car? The difference is night and day?

Thanks so much for the tip on that, the internet can be a great place :0)
Two reasons.

1. the delay valve reduces shock loading of the gearbox/clutch if you can't drive ( less warranty issues )
2. the clutch is classed as a consumable so they can refuse warranty on it by blaming your driving style.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Two reasons.

1. the delay valve reduces shock loading of the gearbox/clutch if you can't drive ( less warranty issues )
2. the clutch is classed as a consumable so they can refuse warranty on it by blaming your driving style.
So they make the car horrible to drive to protect themselves for people who can't drive?

I bet this offensive piece of plastic was not fitted to cars sent for review.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
So they make the car horrible to drive to protect themselves for people who can't drive?

I bet this offensive piece of plastic was not fitted to cars sent for review.
Seems that way.

I also believe this POS is why many think the cupra has a chocolate clutch.

If and when mine goes - I will fit a TTRS clutch pressure plate and a Golf R friction plate.
Factory clutch feel but good for over 400hp

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that you will find that VW Group marques fit that restrictor to all higher powered cars and have been doing so for many years, I know that my February 2011 Audi S4 is meant to have one fitted, but it does not bother me enough to make me remove it.

Having a fluid bladder with a control valve/restrictor in that S4's engine mountings does bother me, and will bother my wallet quite a bit very soon!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I think that you will find that VW Group marques fit that restrictor to all higher powered cars and have been doing so for many years
The difference in the driving experience is not subtle and I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.