Seeking advise on purchasing a cupra

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
So many new cars are leased now, a lot (not all) first time owners won’t give two hoots if they look after the car or not.
A quick once over at the local hand car wash once in a while and some tyre shine and it’s all ready for the next owner.
I’ve been looking recently at 2/3 year old cars and financing again for the first time in years but after the crap I’ve seen and driven I’ve bought two old cars.
What I’ll save on monthly’s is in the maintenance pot ( and expensive road tax) :eek::ROFLMAO:
There was a tyre advisory on an earlier MOT. In itself, perhaps not much of an issue - but could be an indicator.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
From the pictures it looks pretty decent but definitely worth checking MOT history against service history as @seatgraham has suggested. Maybe there is a good reason for the first service being done late - could it be it was a consequence of Covid and lockdown?

The dealer’s website suggests they deal in good quality, relatively late date cars and the customer reviews on their website are good, although I always treat any online customer reviews with a degree of caution as they may not be genuine.

It’s not really possible to see from the pictures if the alloys are scuffed or whether the tyres are a decent brand (I’m viewing on my tablet, and if I try and enlarge the pictures, they loose definition); as @Burne has said, brand of tyres and whether the same all round can be an indication of whether the previous owner(s) skimped on the cost of maintaining the car. I’d definitely be checking the wheels and tyres carefully.

From the pictures it looks as if there may be an area of damage on the bolster on driver’s seat cushion - see below. It might just be creasing over time as a result of the driver getting in / out of the seat, but to me it looks as if it could be damage (scuffing) caused by something like a zip or jeans pocket studs. If it is damage, then I‘d be looking for the dealer to rectify it as a condition of the sale.

View attachment 36517
I never really considered the COVID question - and it's apparent that mileage at times was low - 1k in 6 months. Maybe again as a result of COVID - but could also be car was unused - could be various reasons...

Chadwl95

Apr 21, 2023
Interesting points you have all mentioned, thank you. I think it’s time to consider cycling everywhere 😂 & I’ll keep looking!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Quick question, do any of you own a manual cupra, if so what has been your experience?
I have a 2018 Cupra 300 3 door manual.
Currently 34k on the clock
Can't fault it - really like driving it ( I just couldn't get on with a DSG - not saying anything against them - just not for me )
First two tweeks for the manual should be a clutch stop and removal of the clutch delay valve - gives the clutch a much better feel

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
There was a tyre advisory on an earlier MOT. In itself, perhaps not much of an issue - but could be an indicator.
Two years ago I ordered two new tyres for the front, I knew it needed them but the car was hardly getting used so I put it off until MOT time. They weren't bald but I knew they were borderline. Garage called to say the tyres were in so I booked the MOT and told them to fit the tyres while it was in.

Getting home I checked the MOT history on line and the %+@%&** had failed the car on the front tyres then fitted them and pasted it! So I now have a fail on my MOT record. Furious.

He made excuses but it's the last time I'll set foot in the garage.

Reactions: RUM4MO

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Two years ago I ordered two new tyres for the front, I knew it needed them but the car was hardly getting used so I put it off until MOT time. They weren't bald but I knew they were borderline. Garage called to say the tyres were in so I booked the MOT and told them to fit the tyres while it was in.

Getting home I checked the MOT history on line and the %+@%&** had failed the car on the front tyres then fitted them and pasted it! So I now have a fail on my MOT record. Furious.

I agree, that was a crap way to treat a customer, doing it their way provided a proper reason to hand out an advisory - maybe just to keep their "advisory" target correct.

Bear

Jun 15, 2021

Name and shame those shysters Piggy!

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
A lot of Cupras were lease cars for the first 2 or 3 years. VWFS were banging them out to lease firms at £299 a month iirc.
Mine included, long life servicing meant a lot went 2 years before an oil change, which isn't great for a performance car.

Try and look at Seat approved from a dealer if you can, you get 2 years warranty and breakdown cover. They aren't always much more expensive.