Im soooooooo confused!!!!

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
It never was meant to be 170BHP, its 170PS. PS is another measurement for power
Quick explaination from Wiki:

PS

This unit (German: Pferdestärke = horse strength) is no longer a statutory unit, but is still commonly used in Europe, South America and Japan, especially by the automotive and motorcycle industry. It was adopted throughout continental Europe with designations equivalent to the English "horsepower", but mathematically different from the British unit. It is defined by the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB)[5] in Braunschweig as exactly:

1 PS = 75 kilopond·metre/second ~= 735.5 newton·m/s ~= 735.5 W ~= 0.7355 kW ~= 0.98632 hp (SAE)

The PS was adopted by the Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN) and then by the automotive industry throughout most of Europe, under varying names. In 1992, the PS was rendered obsolete by EEC directives, when it was replaced by the kilowatt as the official power measuring unit. It is still in use for commercial and advertising purposes, as many customers are not familiar with the use of kilowatts for engines.

So the PD170 engine is about 168 BHP. Not sure where Revo get their 191 BHP from though.
Alex

Poverty

because apparently 170 TDI's are more like 190hp when on the rollers, remaps dont make all that much of a difference at the moment as maps are conservative due to the dpf.

Or thats how I understand it all anyway!

MATT'88

Selling Leon 170 TDI
Oct 19, 2008
ESSEX
DPF?? Is that the thing that bog's up when you drive around town alot and costs 1000 fitted to replace??

Poverty

DPF?? Is that the thing that bog's up when you drive around town alot and costs 1000 fitted to replace??

yeah that bloody annoying thing. VAG have a tendancy to underate some of their turboed engines!

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
DPF's will cause you an issue .... and not all 170's are the same, some have more power, some have less ...

Revo remap =

run.jpg

MATT'88

Selling Leon 170 TDI
Oct 19, 2008
ESSEX
I dont understand what your trying to say by putting up that map?? U havent explained yourself?? :confused:

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
ATM a remap is not worth it for me. I'm already get 190bhp from my standard FR 170. So £500 will only get me an extra 10-20bhp. I'm waiting for the dpf delete remap before doing any engine mods and tweaks.

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
Search mate and you will find all the answers you are looking for. (God i sound like Yoda)

The DPF is strong in this one........................

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
I dont understand what your trying to say by putting up that map?? U havent explained yourself?? :confused:

The graphs on Reevo's site shows it starts at 190ish, and after remap is 214ish .... however with my remap its only at 200, so assuming a remap is worth 24bhp, then that would put mine at 176 ish as standard, so not all engines are producing over the odds as standard.

thestonegate

Dan & Khym
because apparently 170 TDI's are more like 190hp when on the rollers, remaps dont make all that much of a difference at the moment as maps are conservative due to the dpf.

Or thats how I understand it all anyway!

Your're So wrong :lol:- I have a Leon FR TDi 170 and I'm currently running the Custom Code Remap at about 220 BHP!:p

Theres a massive difference - the car is so more aggressive - nothing conservative about mine at all!

The other day I sat on the AR$E end of the new Scooby STi - in a diesel!:funk::whistle: He couldn't get away from me!

I definately have (for now till my K1 arrives next week ;)) the fastest diesel car in my area, and most of the petrol cars come to think of it!

My mate as the Honda Civic Type R - he cannot catch me! Neither can my mate in the petrol FR Ibiza! All they see is my rear end!:funk:

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2007
South East London
The graphs on Reevo's site shows it starts at 190ish, and after remap is 214ish .... however with my remap its only at 200, so assuming a remap is worth 24bhp, then that would put mine at 176 ish as standard, so not all engines are producing over the odds as standard.

I guess they print their best ever achievment so the best standard one they have seen was 191bhp and the best result they have had is 214bhp

From what most people have said a remapped FR TDI is pretty good, as standard it is hardly a slouch anyway... Im still in 2 minds as my car is not even a year old yet and I have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever....

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Your're So wrong :lol:- I have a Leon FR TDi 170 and I'm currently running the Custom Code Remap at about 220 BHP!:p

Theres a massive difference - the car is so more aggressive - nothing conservative about mine at all!

The other day I sat on the AR$E end of the new Scooby STi - in a diesel!:funk::whistle: He couldn't get away from me!

I definately have (for now till my K1 arrives next week ;)) the fastest diesel car in my area, and most of the petrol cars come to think of it!

My mate as the Honda Civic Type R - he cannot catch me! Neither can my mate in the petrol FR Ibiza! All they see is my rear end!:funk:
how do u get 220?

Poverty

the scooby wasnt trying or wasnt a real sti then. Sorry but evo's scoobies, and 335d's or 335i's are in another league. A well sorted Cupra could keep up with some STI's in the dry though.

Aggressive map doesnt equal a fast car either. Saying if your car came standard with 190hp is a 35hp gain really worth 500 quid? Also then there is dyno lottery to include. On another set of rollers your car might only make 210hp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bainie

Oct 22, 2007
Revo`s test car, a passat PD170 made 191bhp standard, so that is where it came from, which is pretty honest, some other tuners would claim the extra 21bhp as there own acheivment !!

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Revo`s test car, a passat PD170 made 191bhp standard, so that is where it came from, which is pretty honest, some other tuners would claim the extra 21bhp as there own acheivment !!

cant compare oranges to apples i'm afraid. the cars will more than likely have a different map out of the box, like the cupra-s3-ed30, same engines, different maps.

MATT'88

Selling Leon 170 TDI
Oct 19, 2008
ESSEX
Ok ok, Its all starting to make sense now.

Firstly... Dyno your car to see what bhp and torque its pushing out.

Secondly... 1st map is ABOUT 215bhp so decide if 4/500 is worth the what ever extra bhp you will roughly get.

Third... either do 1st map or sit and wait for dpf removal map.

Sound about right??

MATT'88

Selling Leon 170 TDI
Oct 19, 2008
ESSEX

I actually do understand where you are coming from. I had a saxo vts 120bhp and it was quick for a 1.6 16v, I could keep with scoobys to a ton. and do 140mph in 4th. (135mph on digital) so a 220bhp fr could aswell.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.