Induction kits and exhaust

Jun 2, 2023
Good afternoon gents
I'm new to the diesel world so after some advice really.
What is the best induction kit and exhaust to put on my fr550.
It's a 2.0 tdi and I'm after a nice whistling and nice note from the exhaust.
Just wondering what people have gone for to achieve anything like this.
Don't want it loud don't want pops and bangs I just want a nice subtle hum from the engine and exhaust.
Any advice or suggestions would be great
Thanks as always matt

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I have this setup on my mk3 Leon Cupra. APR intake, Ramair elbow and hose. Not loud at all. Slight noise when lifting off, that’s it.
IMG_2755.jpeg

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Good afternoon gents
I'm new to the diesel world so after some advice really.
What is the best induction kit and exhaust to put on my fr550.
It's a 2.0 tdi and I'm after a nice whistling and nice note from the exhaust.
Just wondering what people have gone for to achieve anything like this.
Don't want it loud don't want pops and bangs I just want a nice subtle hum from the engine and exhaust.
Any advice or suggestions would be great
Thanks as always matt
Unfortunately being a TDI you'll never get a nice note from the exhaust - the DPF suppresses what little note it might be capable of making. Only solutions are remove the DPF (instant MOT fail), or install a sound generator kit (approx £1800) that uses a speaker to make fake sounds.

Intake noise you can definitely do though to a point.
Again being a diesel there is absolutely zero benefit from forcing extra cold air in - the stock airbox is more than capable of feeding it enough air for 300hp+ - so don't expect a bhp boost, but by swapping to an open air system you'll get more wooshing noises and maybe hear some more turbo whine.

Racingline do a TDI intake for mqb based cars with new front scoop + filter + turbo inlet hose, or there's a ramair proram kit for the golf mk7 TDI (fits Leon) that's a completely open cone filter with a basic heatshield. Both will cost you circa £250-300 for absolutely zero gains other than noise

Jun 2, 2023
As the thread says new to the diesel world!!!
As for dpf the clown that owned the car before has smashed the dpf to bits so I've had to clear his mess up and correct it all.
Dpf has been deleted and now runs properly,
And mot isn't an issue I can get it through one.
My question is then is it not worth going through the hassle of putting a system on then if its not going to make much difference.
I've heard the ram Air systems sound very nice so that's an option just curios about exhaust options now
Thanks for your responses

Jun 2, 2023
Pops and bangs can go on anything with the right remap. a friends lad had it on his vw bora and I personally didn't like the sound it didn't sound right.
Thata definitely not the route I want to go down I was hoping for a nice humm from the exhaust but if that's not achievable then that's fine.
I've heard pd engine sound absolutely evil but I'm not quite sure how they manage to do so was hoping someone would have some advice as this is all very new to me im a petrol man but wanted a change and chose to Tey diesel to see how tunable they actually are.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Diesels are tunable, just not with exhaust or intake.
Exhaust notes sound wierd compared to a petrol, different sort of combustion you see.
I like my diesel quiet, petrols louder

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Pops and bangs can go on anything with the right remap. a friends lad had it on his vw bora and I personally didn't like the sound it didn't sound right.
Thata definitely not the route I want to go down I was hoping for a nice humm from the exhaust but if that's not achievable then that's fine.
I've heard pd engine sound absolutely evil but I'm not quite sure how they manage to do so was hoping someone would have some advice as this is all very new to me im a petrol man but wanted a change and chose to Tey diesel to see how tunable they actually are.
The PD engine was a completely different animal though - much more tunable and far less restricted by emission limits. I'd suggest watching the Darkside Developments mk7 Golf GTD video - they cover in depth about how without spending mega money (circa £10k+) you can't get more than about 230hp out of any of the new 2l TDI VAG engines - and doing so makes all of them illegal on UK roads

For the cost of getting anything resembling a decent sound out of your diesel you'd be better selling up and buying the equivalent petrol - you can get 250bhp out of the 1.8 TDI and have all the noise/exhaust you could ever want

Jun 2, 2023
Thanks for reply
It's a funny one I don't want a noisy car im nearly 40 now I just want a nice tone from the car if that makes sense.
I may be getting older but I still love the sound of an engine raw and I agree with what your saying diesels probably don't raw like a petrol engine.
But I've heard some crazy diesels recently and I'm not sure how they manage to make them sound like they do.
I dont want it to sound chavvy or loud I just want a little grunt when you put your foot to the floor and a nice bit of power to.
And my fr bloody moves aswell.
I had a polo g40 previously and I'm sure my fr would give it a run for its money.
But I appreciate your responses guys it helps alot

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
No worries, my 184 TDI is mapped to 230bhp/500nm - but still sounds like a tractor at the end of the day. Be aware that cars like the Golf GTD 'sound nicer' because they have a speaker in the exhaust system, that creates fake engine noise to enhance/hide the normal exhaust noises - the Leon doesn't have this.
The only properly decent sounding diesels I've ever heard were the 5cyl lump in the Alfa 159, and the Audi Q7 V12 TDI - even the 6cyl BMW/Audi lumps don't sound amazing imo

Jun 2, 2023
Ok mate thank you for your help and advice.
I'm so happy with the car and performance wise it's really suprised me for a 2.0l tdi it moves well on a modified remap amd its only a tuned stage one.
At the end of the day I just want a car that looks nice goes well when you need it and that's what I have.
I'm to old to be driving round like a boy racer and now days there's to many coppers around epically un marked police cars.
It will keep me going for many years.
It's reliable cheap to run and manages to turn heads.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.