Indulgent new Christmas toy, (Sportshifter gear knob) fitted and 40 mile tested

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Treated myself to an impulse 'Black Friday Bargain' purchase for my 2019 six-speed Golf 7.5, maybe of interest to others on here.

Researching online 'experts' (and others) all seemed to suggest Sportshifters are the dog's whotsits as far as replacement gear knobs go,
better than the similarly-priced and likewise custom items from wider-known outfit BFI.

Got busy on Boxing Day, currently I've set it at 'standard' height, which is a tiny bit lower than the stock VW item was. Potential to adjust it both
higher, (easily done, but unlikely to suit me) - or lower with some modification. Seems pretty sweet as is, going to live with it for a month or so
to see how it feels. If then I do choose to position it lower, it will only be by a fraction.*

This particular 'GT2' style version weighs-in at 301g, (standard Golf plastic one is 123g) and certainly looks/feels the quality item you'd expect
for the price they ask.
I have previously tried a 'GTi' style one, but really didn't get on with that and soon reverted to standard - this new one has already got me thinking
I much prefer it to both VW options.

* 2nd image added 05/02/21, showing the result of sawing 22mm off the selector shaft and re-fitting the shifter knob correspondingly lower -
this height suits me best. I've also added a 16mm depth home-made Clutch Stop, which reduces the 'dead' travel of the pedal. This seems about
right from the off and is certainly an improvement over standard.

Attachments

• IMG_20201226_114114.jpg
    IMG_20201226_114114.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20210205_095943.jpg
    IMG_20210205_095943.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Reactions: Syphon
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.