Instrument / Dial lights

blutak

Sep 26, 2014
Hey everyone,
Got a quick question, not sure if anyone else has noticed it but my dash backlight (behind the speedo/revs) seems to come on when its sunny and go out when its dark? Seems a little strange as when I enter a tunnel (albeit a small one) they fade out so i cant see my speed and then come back on when i get out the other side?

Its happened a few times now and its always with my lights set to off obviously. I don't have the auto light thing, so just wondering how and why its doing this?? Seems a bit strange to lose your dials when it goes slightly overcast.

Thanks - oh and hey to everyone (just got my car last friday so am still enjoying it very much)

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
Welcome :)

Yeah, a few people have mentioned this before. The dials go out when it's dark to prompt you to turn your lights on. Standard feature across a lot of the VW Group now, although they all neglect to tell anyone about it or mention it in the manual.

What spec have you gone for?

blutak

Sep 26, 2014
Ah right, I thought that might be the case but still have no idea how it knows its gone dark?
Just got a 184 FR with tech pack and 18" alloys. Very happy with it so far. Had a 308 previously lol so very easily pleased!! :D

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
From memory, someone on here said that the daylight sensor that controls this is located in the instruments - I haven't tried it personally, but if you shine a torch/phone screen into the dials, they should light up again.

A good upgrade from a 308 though, whichever way you look at it :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members