Is a middle silencer restrictive ?

gregorcupra

Nov 8, 2007
Paisley
At the moment my centre section is a straight through pipe , and to be honest is pretty damn noisy!

The car is going in tommorow to have the exhaust sorted out due to a couple of leaks and the fact its rubbing. Im considering having a middle silencer fitted while its in.

Do these restrict the power at all ?

And will there still be a nice enough noise , bear in mind I have a milltek sports cat ?

Cheers
Gregor

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
A silencer shouldn't as the air still passes straight through - there are no baffles, just wadding in the outside to absorb the noise

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Depends on the size/quality of the silencer I'd say. I had one put in my blueflame system as I'd heard people say they were loud and mine is barely louder than the Milltek now (I've owned both), just deeper/more throaty on idle.

Over time though the wadding will wear away so it will get a bit louder but not as much as it would without anything there

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Wanted to ask, My middle section section is leaking from 3 small places, which i need to sort out. The previous owner removed the middle silencer and put straight through pipe on it.

I have supersprint rear box which isnt that loud but small rumble to it. Shall i just put staright through pipe back in or just add a silencer back in? My mpg is quite poor around epsicaly around town eg 16mpg driving normal. When i fitted new silencer on leon cupra, the mpg did go up and same for the torque.