Is the clutch disengaged when stopped?

Oct 23, 2023
Hi,

I wonder if the clutch is disengaged when stopped and waiting in D/S stage. Recently i realised that when i switch to N from D when waiting at lights, a small vibration coming from DSG or something vanishes and it comes back when i switch to D. It does not bother me but is it normal? I think clutch or something is not disengaged completely. I did not felt any vibration from my old dry clutched golf 7 in D stage when stopped at lights. Maybe, it is a feature of wet clutch i don't know.

Thanks.

Apr 20, 2023
Hi,

I wonder if the clutch is disengaged when stopped and waiting in D/S stage. Recently i realised that when i switch to N from D when waiting at lights, a small vibration coming from DSG or something vanishes and it comes back when i switch to D. It does not bother me but is it normal? I think clutch or something is not disengaged completely. I did not felt any vibration from my old dry clutched golf 7 in D stage when stopped at lights. Maybe, it is a feature of wet clutch i don't know.

Thanks.
Hi Crazyea

My understanding is that you should leave the box in D/S mode when waiting at lights and not go into N at all. Hopefully this can be confirmed by others soon.

Just found this on the net.

What not to do with a DSG gearbox?

Avoid Putting the Car in Neutral

What you have to do is to keep the car in drive with the brake on, but not in the throttle mode. This will engage back the clutch and voila, the clutch rubs with the flywheel producing heat. Upon doing so, the clutch will engage and the flywheel will begin to rub against the clutch.

Cheers

Last edited:

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
Recently i realised that when i switch to N from D when waiting at lights, a small vibration coming from DSG or something vanishes and it comes back when i switch to D.
Most of the dual-clutch I've driven had some sort of "kick" when you engaged from P to D (or R) or from N to D (or R), even with brand-new gearboxes/cars. So I wouldn't worry about it, I would say that is a "feature"...
Unless you have a very good reason, you don't need to put your car into Neutral while waiting at red-lights. It's enough to keep you foot on the brake, or even better to use the "AutoHold" function - that's why it is there...
The clutch will be disengaged and the brake light of the car will be ON.

Oct 23, 2023
Most of the dual-clutch I've driven had some sort of "kick" when you engaged from P to D (or R) or from N to D (or R), even with brand-new gearboxes/cars. So I wouldn't worry about it, I would say that is a "feature"...
Unless you have a very good reason, you don't need to put your car into Neutral while waiting at red-lights. It's enough to keep you foot on the brake, or even better to use the "AutoHold" function - that's why it is there...
The clutch will be disengaged and the brake light of the car will be ON.
Yes, I just want to know about that "kick" feature. It feels like the car wants to go but breaks don't let it. I feel like the clutch is rubbing something.

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
If you really wand to check how the clutch-engaging feels (compared to the "kick" that you mention), you can make the following test:
- put the gearbox in Drive
- make sure the electronic handbrake (parkingbrake) is ON (engaged)
- put the Auto-Hold to OFF
- release the foot-brake
When you release the foot-brake the clutch will engage, the car will try to crawl, but the handbrake (rear wheels only) will hold the car. You'll notice a variation of the engine RPM. Normally, from this point if you press the accelerator the handbrake will be released and the car will move.

But the point I'm trying to make is that the "kick" that you feel when changing from P (or N) to D (or R) feels different from the clutch engaging with the brake ON...

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Don't feel a thing on my hybrid when moving from D/S to N and vice versa (with the engine on or off - the electric motor still uses the gearbox but in the higher gears). But I think the DSG is a different one in the hybrid as is 6 speed rather than the 7 speed I had as a courtesy car lately.

No need to put the gearbox into N at lights, etc., you wouldn't do it in a torque converter gearbox, and I wouldn't normally in a manual car either unless I knew I was going to be waiting a long time.

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
But I think the DSG is a different one in the hybrid
Indeed, on hybrids we have the DQ400e, which has the electric motor included into the assembly. The ICE are fitted with the DQ381 (most recently even the 1.5 TSI has the DQ381 replacing the DQ200), and a "stronger" DSG (not sure which one) for the VZ5 - to handle the higher torque/power.

I don't feel any kick on the hybrid DSG either, but on several different ICE with dual-clutch (various car manufacturers) I noticed some "mechanical feedback" into the bodywork when D-engaged.

Reactions: djmartzian