I've been having a gradually increasing nightmare with my car

Dec 11, 2023
Since delivery of my car in July I have been experiencing increasing issues with the car (and other problems with Cupra in general that I won't go into here), which led to me being stranded at the weekend. I have struggled get an appointment with a local(ish) Cupra dealer and can't get in at my local dealer at all. Currently it's booked in for the end of December elsewhere.

Here are some videos of issues I have experienced.

Brand new CUPRA phantom calling breakdown randomly
Brand new CUPRA doesn’t want to start
Brand new CUPRA broken down with error code list longer than Domesday book

Can anyone give any idea what might be causing this and is it likely a software or a hardware issue? I've sent the above videos to Cupra customer services, but won't hold my breath for a reply.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Does the car work normally some or most of the time? If so then it's possible to be software, although the 'increasing' part of your post might point to an intermittent hardware problem. What version of software is the car on?

Only the phantom calling one looks a little like the SOS error most other MK4 have had at some point, but even that is different - the SOS error doesn't make a call.

If it were me and I wasn't getting any response from Curpa then I'd start the process to reject the car, although you are outside the 30 days refund period this will still focus them on either repairing or replacing it:

Reactions: ArgyBargy
Dec 11, 2023
Yes the car does work normally a lot of the time. It started off with random computer screen resets. I called my local Cupra dealer and was put on a "waiting list" to be be given an appointment. The car then started to sometimes call breakdown when I first got in. The first couple of times I thought I must have done it. I noticed the lights wouldn't come on when opening the car door. The button for this is near the rear view mirror. I then realised this didn't work and the breakdown button is near to it.

I called to see when I would get an appointment only to be told they don't do waiting lists? It sounded like the same person I had spoken to previously and when I said I had a recording of the call and we would need to investigate why I was lied to suddenly they did do waiting lists again. This was back in October and they could only offer me an appointment end Dec, despite me having been on a "waiting list" for 2-3 months.

Since then the random calling has got worse. If it starts it will just continue for the length of the journey, meaning I can't use the navigation or listen to music, and on some occasions it actually gets through to someone. On one of these occasion they sent details to the dealer I'm booked in with, who then called me back. Again they couldn't see me any sooner. The buttons by the mirror and to the right of the steering wheel only work intermittently.

When the car finally broke down the AA passed my details to local Cupra and said call them after the weekend. Sadly they were no help again. In fact the guy I spoke to seemed to chuckle when I told him I had been waiting that long to be seen the car had finally broke down and left me stranded. After this call I sent an email to Cupra customer services. I tried to email the dealer but the emails bounced back, probably because I included links, so they are suspect spam (either that or there is a filter for the word complaint).

When I first got the car I had issues setting up a service plan and getting the ident sorted for the android app (for which they were asking for more personal information than my last mortgage application and even after all this still wouldn't do it. I had to get cupra customer services involved). I also had a few questions about the car which nobody would answer. So far it's been the worst experience of any car brand by far.

It's a lease, so I have forwarded my complaint email to the lease company. I'm considering contacting my lease company and asking to be moved to another car.

Last edited:

spembo

Jun 4, 2022
Your issue on calling breakdown sounds similar to issue I had with my Seat leon mk4 and also drove me nuts. Typically I had it for approximately the first 10 minutes of a journey, albeit not always. Initially it was just calling breakdown, it progressed further to customer care and also turning the interior lights on whilst driving. The headunit buttons didn‘t always work, but when they did usually it coincided with the breakdown calling. Dealer replaced head unit and problem now resolved.

I did read potentially somewhere people resoldering joints to sort, maybe vw forum, but no messing whilst in warranty.

Reactions: ArgyBargy
Dec 11, 2023
I finally had it in at the dealer yesterday. They said it repeated the SOS issue for the tech. They want me to take it back in the new year and leave it with them. At least it appears it will finally be sorted.

The SOS issue I can partly live with, but actually breaking down is just too far.

Here's another couple of videos.

spembo

Jun 4, 2022
I had the 2nd of your last video with my head unit issue. It occasionally would work mind.

i didn’t have steering wheel buttons issue, or starting issue, so suspect you’ve 2 issues to be rectified.

Dec 11, 2023
My car finally went in to try and fix my issues. I had to contact the CEO office after getting nowhere following my previous dealership visit.

You can see the previous rear mirror light controls in my video above. Here is what they have replaced it with?

20240306_085448.jpg

I'm guessing this is the wrong part. Are the extra controls for a panoramic roof, which I don't have?

I also got this when trying to reverse instead of the reversing camera:

20240306_083356.jpg

Last edited:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
My car finally went in to try and fix my issues. I had to contact the CEO office after getting nowhere following my previous dealership visit.

You can see the previous rear mirror light controls in my video above. Here is what they have replaced it with?

View attachment 41085

I'm guessing this is the wrong part. Are the extra controls for a panoramic roof, which I don't have?

View attachment 41086
Not good, glad I have a decent dealer and my car is still fault free, but CUPRA should get the finger out, shocking.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018

View attachment 41085

View attachment 41086
Oh dear. Back to the dealership you go......and yes, they have fitted the wrong part:doh:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.