Jabba Custom map vs my previous

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
Sha r k Map is now off. *abba map is now on

A bit of background

You probably already know, but i donated my car to Sh a rk Performance to have them develop a remap for the 1.4TSI back May last year in return for a F.O.C remap. I had been on the look out for a map and at the time was torn between APR and Sh a rk for the job, Sh a rk made the offer of no cost for development, to which i jumped at the opportunity. Saved me £400 B)

I received the car back and "*&^ me it was quicker, massively so. I was very happy with it and as most guys on here will say, ive been a pretty big advocate of the Sh a rk Performance map and its performance.
This was with sh a rk stage 2, decat OEm DP and everything else standard.
img004.jpg

As you can see huge midrange gains and the car went like a rocket. :thumbup: You'll have seen that i have posted many times about the biggest issues with this engine being the massive temperatures of the intake air charge, cylinder block and engine bay etc,Anyway, this is where i began to notice it more and more. *The car suffered very excessive heatsoak, very notable on the 1/4 mile strip where it went like the clappers the first 3/4s but power began to wear off towards the end as temperatures rose. *

The same effect was noted on trackdays and in hot weather so i began to investigate what options I had for cooling to a safer level and ended up with the Pace Products Intercooler & radiator package which helped no end with the heat issues.

Why i changed map

The heat issues were reduced but not omitted, and i had started to get plumes of grey/white smoke from the exhaust at times but never consistently, if anything it was when the car had been driven for prolonged periods. Sh a rk believed the turbo to be on the way out which is never good news, but i thought well if its going to go pop, then its going to go pop. I might as well look into upgrading/recondition the turbo to be stronger and flow more to make some more power at the same time.

Sh a rk believed this was not an option as the fueling system was maxed out and said they could map a hybrid on, but warned that they expected it to spit all of the pistons out when the injectors fail to flow enough fuel etc, however i was aware of many other tuning companies such as APR and other euro tuners had already done this with no fueling issues.

I had also been logging temperatures and other parameters where i found fueling to be relatively low on the high pressure side with plenty of headroom and boost to be very high. The map requested over 2Bar(29psi) of boost of which is massively higher than this turbo is rated at resulting in the car only managing to make 1.6Bar(23psi). *Looking at the N75 duty cycle which was showing 100% over the whole rev range you can see the turbo was running at its absolute maximum all of the time trying to manage the requested 2 Bar and not even getting close. Normally when the car makes the requested boost the N75 duty cycle will drop down to 75-80%ish. This to me was the likely cause of the grey/white smoke etc.

At this point i had now started looking into other maps for the possibility of either hybrids or switchable options with water methanol injection. I considered REVO and APR, and very nearly went with REVO who offered me a very very competitive price for swapping to them, however they werent keen on going any further than stage 2 and wouldn't be interested in a hybrid upgrade which i found disappointing.

I then found out that Jabbasport now had the equipment in house to access encrypted ECUs, and they had already remapped a 1.4TSI Ibiza Cupra off this forum which made very good peak Hp figures, but they customized it to his exact requirements limiting the mid-range torque as he requested the peak torque to not rise above stock levels. *I *liked the idea of a tuner doing the map on car to my specification and jabba also seemed interested in further modifications such as hybrids etc so i made the decision to let them set about my car.

Jabbasport remap

Sh a rk had requested that i return my map to stock before allowing another tuner to map my car, which was the ideal scenario for me as it meant that i could have the most recent ECU software update for my car. However i wanted to see how the car compared to the jabba map before and after so i drove down last week, had the car run on the rolling road to get a set of before figures, i then went to the Skoda dealership had the ECU update and dropped the car off with jabba.

Kev@ Jabbasport then began to ask about the current and planned modifications, discussed the forge intake that i had removed, talked about how the last map was, issues with heat on the strip and track, what i liked about the sh a rk power delivery and what i didnt, what would i change, where i wanted gains, what sort of figures were on my mind. We also highlighted that the way the accelerator pedal was electronically linked to the throttle butterfly wasn't ideal. Essentially with the accelerator pedal 3/4 depressed the ratio of pedal movement to throttle opening suddenly increases dramatically, which on long fast corners of trackdays is a pain to modulate. So he also planned to alter the throttle maps to ensure that the pedal:throttle ratio was as close to 1:1 ratio as possible to make modulating the throttle much easier. Well chuffed with that, not aware of any other tuners currently doing this on the 1.4TSI.

My requests for jabbasport

I dont think i made this easy for them.

-I wanted the throttle map changed to emulate that of a throttle cable and a 1:1 ratio of pedal to throttle.
-I wanted a similar midrange to the Sh a rk stage 2 map,
-I wanted slightly more top end, somewhere in the region of 215-225hp depending on the before after results.
BUT
-I wanted this done with much less boost so that i could have some longevity and mechanical sympathy for the drive train and turbo.
AND
- I wanted them to look into the viability of upgrading the turbocharger to a hybrid with regards to heat, high pressure fueling and injector duty cycle.

The results

The car was running the Pace intercooler, Pace Radiator, decat OEM downpipe, and the relevant map details shown below. All other parts were 100% standard.

I have the sh a rk stage 2 graph, stock graph and Jabbasport custom graph. All graphs have DIN correction which mean that the figures have been corrected to take into account the differing temperatures between the runs to make them directly comparable.
Normally the power & torque curves cross at 5252rpm. This isn't happening on these graphs due to the differing scales and the 2 x Vertical axis. (Thought id point this out before those with quick eyes notice).

Stock power
As you can see the figures look to be spot on. 179.7Hp/257NM (189 lbft). These are bang on what you would expect of a stock car, although bare in mind my car is not stock and has the IC/Rad and DP, so if anything the rollers were reading low.
img006.jpg

Sh ar k Performance Stage 2 @ 1.6Bar(23psi)
211hp/375NM(276 lbft). This torque figure seems quite high and is thought to be above the torque limit that people believe is applied to the DSG box on this car. Jabbasport said that the DSG seemed to have 3 x flashes on it, so im guessing sh a rk had managed to access it and raise the limiters. But the torque and power figures here are around the same as the previous dynodynamics run at the beginning of this post(which was done without the intercooler)
img007-1.jpg

Jabbasport custom @ 2.3Bar(19psi) 216Hp/357NM(263lbft)

Jabba had a tough criteria to meet, but have hit the nail in first time. Midrange very similar-slightly less, but thast because of the boost difference, spool of the turbo is faster and earlier, the requested boost is met across the entire RPM band and is 0.3Bar(4.3psi) lower, the N75 duty cycle now runns at a healthy 75-80%, the throttle map has been altered, there is slightly more peak power and they are keen for me to come back with a hybrid turbo B) B) B)

img008.jpg

My thoughts

-Power delivery seems silky smooth and very progressive.
Mid-range isnt quite as strong as the sh a rk map ie, in 5th and 60 for an overtake, but change it down to 4th and its the same if not stronger.
-Top end - Not tried it to much tbh, the weather isnt ideal, but it feels very strong.
-Throttle map change - Seems to be a massive improvement. I had a try with the throttle at 3/4 and it is a lot more progressive rather than a sudden lurch. That was only in a straight line though, never fancied trying it in a fast corner on the roads tonight :D
Its a little to early to tell if the heat issues have disappeared as its very cold outside but id imagine that theres a huge decrease compared to before.

Theres also NO GREY/WHITE SMOKE.

Im massively impressed that Jabba have managed all the above with 0,3Bar(4.3psi) less boost than the previous map.

Very very happy with the results, very happy with the customer service and even better, Kev has been through the logs and maps with a fine tooth comb and the hybrid IS AN OPTION in the future. *theres plenty of room on the high pressure fuel side and injectors. If anything the standard turbo is now the main restriction on the car. An intake will relieve the turbo now as its having to really suck the air in through the stock intake. The ITG should sort that one perfectly. So then its either a Loba Hybrid turbo swap or upgrade the compressor wheel on mine and trim the exhaust turbine a little.

Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy

And as if they couldnt do anything more to please me:

They have changed the settings of the XDS (electronic diff) from setting zero(weak) upto Setting 2(strong) and WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Thats for another thread.

Ive now got the logs for standard and jabba custom for future reference and comparison. So i am going to graph them up and compare them to the previous logs i have with the sh ar k map to see how they compare on boost/N75/fueling/intake air temps/timing etc.

Big thanks to Kev at Jabba who did the mapping and replied to my constant messaging about progress lol. Top bloke.

Was it worth spending out on a custom map to get an extra 5Hp....I think so. *TBH im not out of pocket anyway, ive now spent what i would have if i hadnt had a free map.

Reactions: VRSLOZ
Aug 3, 2011
Great write up and Kev is a top bloke (busy too with me going back down next week aha) May ask him if he has time to alter my throttle map, if not already done, it wasnt talked about so i'd assume not.

These runs done in 5th?

Great write up and great review Simon.

Jason

Aug 3, 2011
THe stock intake is pretty poor and I think my modified forge(while still restricting due to the forge filter at higher rpms) makes a good increase of torque/power over what I would expect it to run standard. I never rolled it standard but with the forge intake it ran 187 and 202ftlb so thats a nice increase for a £30 mod to a forge kit :)

Kev really knows his stuff with these! Inbetween mine and yours has also done another standard ibiza cupra(anyone on here?) Its kinda nice to be the one who started it all and I hope Jabba prosper well with this engine, they seem keen to get " hybridising " these cars and can see them becomming a big 1/4 tsi tuner very soon. Looking forward to gettting an intercooler/rad set up from the company that sets up the pipework on Jabbas cars and racecars ect.

Another Plus for the XDS settings so looking forward to getting that done as well :)

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
Im led to bvelieve theat the filter and carbon canister onf the intake are rated at 200hp hence why the twintake has to canisters for the TFSI and is capable of ,400Hp.

It also makes sense why the forge showed gains on a stock car but not on a mapped car

Aug 3, 2011
Thats interesting. Well Im in talks with a company called J1 that I helped out with a few kits for the mk7 fiesta, hes very interested in getting a set up for the VRs/Cupra/GTi. His work is top notch and gain 5bhp on 120bhp fiesta, small rise but bigger than the likes of K&N or pipercross could do with thier kits. I think at the moment he is breaking into the Vauxhall market then were guna meet up and get something together for the VAG 1.4 tsi scene, should be good like the IGT but in fairness could be similarly priced depandant on what works best. I'd rather pay more and get something good though than buy cheap buy twice.

Jay

NathWraith

Misfiring like a boss
Sep 2, 2011
Staffordshire
wow good writeup. jabba are definately getting some good press on here. may consider them over revo tbh.

What is the price for a normal map on a stock car?

Last edited:

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
They do their dtage 1 for cars with no mods. They then do custom maps for cars with further mods. Cheaper than revo by a fair bit

Aug 3, 2011
Jabbasport said:
Pricing hasn't been confirmed yet, but i'm expecting around £340 inc VAT Generic and £440 Custom.

:) Seems that someone has to go first, thankfully (so far) its paid off for me, and by the looks and messages Its paying off for Jabba too.

Jay

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise