janspeed or magnex?

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
i work in engineering and i was informed by my chief engineer that the stuff they use for exhausts is the cheap stuff, t304 if im rite. we dont use it for some reason. not good enough. ill have to find out why.

WatchHill

Twonk
Mar 10, 2004
Cumberland
www.gunculture.net
Nowt wrong with 304, but it just depends what you're going to use it for. Different grades for different aps. Horses for courses!
Now if Janspeed were rotting within 6 wks then that suggests not just an inappropriate grade but something more. Too thin, bad batch of steel etc. I might see if I can get a comment out of them.

Burridge

New here!
Mar 3, 2005
Redhill, Surrey, ENGLAND.
Could have been bashed about in transit too- this is halfords after all, and they are mostly monkeys like in the adverts (i was a part time monkee there myself, and no one cared about stock).

B6MFD

Born again
Dec 13, 2004
west yorkshire
well i will tell you if myn has any probs other than not bein a super fit...sounds amaizing tho love the volume loud but not ear ringing....and looks super

NealyCupra

Mar 10, 2005
Widnes
if you want sound get the magnex 6x4 oval its a gorgeous sounding exhaust and doesnt drone at all.. my mate had one on his zetec-s and i would advise one im looking at that for the cupra

clarky

That has a tiny little engine, trust me amd the others..... IT DRONES...

clarky

No the cupra hasn't got a small engine, underpowered maybe.... it was ofcourse aimed at the fiesta

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Did you have any problems fitting your Janspeed centre section?

Because a new Milltek cat-back won't fit a 16v, I've bought the Janspeed system and the centre section diameter seems to be fractionally (<1mm) too small to fit over the Cat pipe. Been struggling for ages and now my arms feel like lead weights! :censored:

Not to mention the missing bits of skin from my knuckles.

:(

B6MFD

Born again
Dec 13, 2004
west yorkshire
yep....what a pain in the ass the centre section from janspeed is.......
i got it on by brayin the hell out of by knackered centre section into the new janseed one which slightly enlarged it....... but.......its still not fully on so i keep meaning to cut a bit of the back of the cat as its vibrating on a heat shield somewhere at the rear when it gets hot...just keep thinking about what a pain it was and it puts me off doing it...lol

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
:censored:
And there was me thinking you'd have a nice, simple solution. I've measured the Cat pipe external diameter at 50mm and the internal diameter of the Janspeed at...wait for it...50mm. Guess it just needs a touch of fettling. Anybody out there with some bright ideas that don't involve some sort of random, frenzied attack with hammer, drill or angle grinder? :confused:

Guess I'll be off to work again in the Girlfriend's 1.1 Metro. Vroooooom! :whistle:

Mind you its surprising just how many cars I've lost or overtaken in the twisties over the last 3 weeks. :thumbup: If anyone sees a bright greeny blue Metro Rio being driven like a tit between Hatfield and Hemel Hempstead - its me!

Come to think of it, the Metro now has 104k on the clock, has never needed any work apart from servicing (which I do) and only cost £500! Somebody remind me why I keep spending all this money on my Beeza :crying:

phil8vgti

Jun 18, 2004
WILTSHIRE
a bit of heat, exhaust paste and a rubber mallet did it for me!
I heated up the big end with a blow torch, smothered the small end with paste and tapped it in with a rubber mallet perfect seal but a pain to remove :)

you may have to use a bit of wood to hold the cat pipe still while you hit it,
four pairs of hands needed!!

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Ta muchly. Knew I should have taken Physics at school instead of Advanced Angst.
Got a blowtorch and the GF's oven gloves - just need a rubber mallet :)

I'll give it a go after work tomorrow.

B6MFD

Born again
Dec 13, 2004
west yorkshire
i heated mine at a garage got it so so hot and it still wouldnt go on far enough....lol
have you read the warranty???? what a load of rubbish that is.....
if you heat it your warranty is void....
if you use force to get it on....warranty is void....
so mr janspeed....you bloody fit the thing without force or heat??????

phil8vgti

Jun 18, 2004
WILTSHIRE
janspeed are hipocrites im only five minutes down the road and have been around there workshop and i have seen them heating pipes and even cutting them to go on.

B6MFD

Born again
Dec 13, 2004
west yorkshire
i was even considering getting a mk3 20vt standard recently as the vibrating really does my head in...... thin i may need a blow torch and then...il take it off and give it another go......

If a 20vt standars one fits on with no probs as some people reckon they do....why dont an after maret one???? i find it hard to believe that the standard one goes straight on...?

phil8vgti

Jun 18, 2004
WILTSHIRE
i found the janspeed rear silencer really heavy for what it was mine was hitting/vibrating somewhere around the axle/strut so i bought some powerflex exhaust bushes and it was fine