K03 Hybrid - again

jamiebennett81

did you keep your jbs manifold jamie ?

yeah still sitting in the boot...:D

did some more investigation into this and getting very mixed feedback from tuners

AMD stated it was not worth doing the work, as it would only add another 10bhp over a k03s

I was at Storm Developments today, and speaking with the guys down there and they asked me about going hybrid, which I mentioned that was the route I was going to go down, and they said its good for 260-270bhp which is what I originally thought it would be

turbo has gone back now, but when I have the cash in a few months time, I am thinking of getting it and getting it mapped by CC

failing that, I don't know any other hybrids apart from JBS, but I'm not going there

jonesya3

Dec 28, 2005
Liverpool
yeah still sitting in the boot...:D

did some more investigation into this and getting very mixed feedback from tuners

AMD stated it was not worth doing the work, as it would only add another 10bhp over a k03s

I was at Storm Developments today, and speaking with the guys down there and they asked me about going hybrid, which I mentioned that was the route I was going to go down, and they said its good for 260-270bhp which is what I originally thought it would be

turbo has gone back now, but when I have the cash in a few months time, I am thinking of getting it and getting it mapped by CC

failing that, I don't know any other hybrids apart from JBS, but I'm not going there

im in the same boat as you, looking for around the 280bhp mark and been looking at the jbs04 which looks great apart from the price £1000 exchange :doh: when vagworx do the gt28rs for just over £700 which is capable for over 300bhp (good price) but which will probably need internals upgrading to cope which im assuming will cost £££££££££

that leaves me with either the gt2x or trying to get my k03/k03s upgraded by someone like turbo technics which ill try find get a price for tomorrow so dont no what to do really :shrug:

been reading that the gt2x is a hard turbo to get hold off aswell even from atp

Last edited:

jamiebennett81

im in the same boat as you, looking for around the 280bhp mark and been looking at the jbs04 which looks great apart from the price £1000 exchange :doh: when vagworx do the gt28rs for just over £700 which is capable for over 300bhp (good price) but which will probably need internals upgrading to cope which im assuming will cost £££££££££

that leaves me with either the gt2x or trying to get my k03/k03s upgraded by someone like turbo technics which ill try find get a price for tomorrow so dont no what to do really :shrug:

been reading that the gt2x is a hard turbo to get hold off aswell even from atp

the quote for the turbo and other parts from JBS (some I found unnecessary) was too expensive

gt28 yes...but its far from a turbo which just bolts on, so you would end up spending alot more than the £700 for the turbo

again the same with a K04 conversion, far from simple and not cheap for the gains in power that you get

gtx is only oil cooled I read someone say, so not ideal, although not too sure on the depths and reasons about just being oil cooled

I am going to give CC a ring tomorrow and see what they say, get a third opinion on this work, because if their opinion is of 260-270bhp that can be achieved from this turbo then I will be purchasing it and visiting them for the work

if you could get a price for turning a k03s into a proper hybrid turbo, then I would be interested

I am slightly confused though, because the turbo I bought from BD MS was advertised as a "hybrid" turbo, but it is just a k04-1, so not a true hybrid at all.....some what misleading and I think after all of this a bit annoying to find out its not a "true" hybrid turbo....certainly from what people are saying anyway

jonesya3

Dec 28, 2005
Liverpool
cupra matt and then james bettie have been running the gt2x turbo for over 30,000 miles now with no problems so that should be nothing to worry about

ill see if they can give me a guide price over the phone tomorrow and ill let you no what they say

been wondering aswell if that jbs manifold will give you anymore bhp on your
k03s with it flowing better, going to get a before and after rolling road done on my k03 just to see if there is any difference just out of interest

jamiebennett81

cupra matt and then james bettie have been running the gt2x turbo for over 30,000 miles now with no problems so that should be nothing to worry about

ill see if they can give me a guide price over the phone tomorrow and ill let you no what they say

been wondering aswell if that jbs manifold will give you anymore bhp on your
k03s with it flowing better, going to get a before and after rolling road done on my k03 just to see if there is any difference just out of interest

probably not a big difference if you are talking "how much extra bhp does it give you" for the manifold, but it should allow boost to sustain stronger and higher throughout the rev range and hold the peak power longer

an in essence all the work on the car will be done, ready to go hybrid if I decide to go that route

I think I will just get the manifold put on with the standard map running for a while, and then decide if I am going hybrid later on this year or not...if I do, then its ready to bolt straight onto the JBS manifold

let us know about the prices anyway for the hybrid mate, but I have a feeling it sure won't be cheap:(

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
gt28rs will probably need internals. Eliminator rs kit will not. Storm are good guys but Id be surprised if CC have code for a k04-001 as JBS have their own proper hybrid which is the jbs04. AET and turbo dynamics both also do hybrids so jbs04 isnt the only option. You can do proper k04 for £1400 if you look in the right places for parts and speak to the right people and that will give you 280bhp no problem. Speak to alex at TTS about his k04.

jamiebennett81

gt28rs will probably need internals. Eliminator rs kit will not. Storm are good guys but Id be surprised if CC have code for a k04-001 as JBS have their own proper hybrid which is the jbs04. AET and turbo dynamics both also do hybrids so jbs04 isnt the only option. You can do proper k04 for £1400 if you look in the right places for parts and speak to the right people and that will give you 280bhp no problem. Speak to alex at TTS about his k04.

went on the turbo dynamics site, and well, it was perhaps a little shoddy with pages not being displayed etc

PJ - what are the names of the proper hybrid turbo's then - K03 hybrid? does anyone make these as an "off the shelf" type product or are they a bespoke design made to order?

pdcupra

Ibiza-less
Aug 11, 2006
King's Lynn
apart from the JBS04 (and the K04-001 and the AM04 when it was available) i dont think there is any off the shelf version available.

AET will "hybrid" your turbo and it doesnt really work out that expensive, look for Cupra Joe's thread on it, i think they charge £650 to do the work and you supply the turbo - pretty good work too by the sounds of things, they will even do a little bit of extra porting and polishing for an extra £100 - something that JBS dont do on there JBS04.

The GT2X may be oil cooled but as others have said, a couple have people on here have run it and i imagine they have given it some abuse - with no reported problems. It also seems like ATP may have stock of these within the next month or so if anyone's interested.

Cuprajoe

May 15, 2007
My cars in for mapping this coming monday so should have it back for thursday and am hoping to get it on the rollers a couple of weeks after that so i will get some results up asap:D

jamiebennett81

My cars in for mapping this coming monday so should have it back for thursday and am hoping to get it on the rollers a couple of weeks after that so i will get some results up asap:D

hey joe, what hybrid are you running? a proper hybrid or a k04-1?

if its a proper hybrid, where did you purchase it from?

Mar 17, 2007
montrose scotland
well i have just purchased a ko4-01 from backdraft will recieve it tommorow.so will see what comes of that when its all done.now i am going to run a 3" maf on the car but what i need to know is will that fit on a ko3 forge tip.

if not then what will be my choice.

pdcupra

Ibiza-less
Aug 11, 2006
King's Lynn
think your gonna see minimal gains really from what you already have, well set up K03's vs k04-001 is going to be hardly any different. K04-001's seem to make 250bhp at best

jonesya3

Dec 28, 2005
Liverpool
think your gonna see minimal gains really from what you already have, well set up K03's vs k04-001 is going to be hardly any different. K04-001's seem to make 250bhp at best

plus i posted a link on here where you could get the same turbo for £560 delivered :shrug:

300 quid cheaper than backdraft :confused:

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
well i have just purchased a ko4-01 from backdraft will recieve it tommorow.so will see what comes of that when its all done.now i am going to run a 3" maf on the car but what i need to know is will that fit on a ko3 forge tip.

if not then what will be my choice.

Forge k03 tip will not fit a 3 inch maf without modifying it. You need a 225 tip.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members