k04 turbo to manifold

pekingprawn

Throbbing Member
Oct 24, 2008
Seem to have found myself in the common situation whereby the cylindrical inserts in my k04 exhaust housing have popped up a bit during my first attempt at bolting it up and need reseating :(

anyhoo, this gives me a chance to ask about the bolting of the k04 manifold to the turbo. it's the k04-023 from the 225 TT / S3 / LCR.

I've seen 3 different guides with 3 different bolts. The first with the double threaded studs, the second with typical nut and bolt from the top and the third simple screw down stud with a star shaped head from the top. which is the best?

I tried the star headed bolts from the top and managed to shear the thread on one of them, so im not willing to really use these again i dont think. The double threaded studs that you bolt into the turbo then attach with a nut from above the manifold seems to be the most stock method, but tightening the bolts seems near on impossible with the recess being sunken into the manifold runners :censored:

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
the star bolts work fine, are Oe, so maybe get the right socket to fit them with a wobble drive & you should be fine.

pekingprawn

Throbbing Member
Oct 24, 2008
you dont happen to know what they should be torqued to roughly do you? it's weird because the drawing TPS showed me had the double threaded studs

pekingprawn

Throbbing Member
Oct 24, 2008
see here...

http://www.eastsidevw.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8261&start=180

i've removed the turbo again and got the threaded inserts out. Looks like one of the threads on the inside of the insert has been damaged, and the process of clamping the turbo to the manifold has mushroomed the insert as a result.

my old man owns a machine shop so the guys are going to examine the exhaust housing and the inserts and repair as needed.

by the way bill, i've got a good source for custom oil feed / coolant feed pipes. he's making me some braided hoses to replace the stock efforts that are a nightmare to fit. just wondered where you obtain such a service for your installs?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I have a local chap who makes up my lines

a lot of work going into this.
you did'nt fancy doing it the easier way of k04 hybrid in stock location?

pekingprawn

Throbbing Member
Oct 24, 2008
well, originally i was plumbing in a hybrid k04 unit (k04 with uprated internals) so the stock position wasnt ever going to be used really. considered a hybrid k03 unit so i could use stock location etc but the right parts fell onto my lap at the right time so i just went with it.

i've had my lines made up with detachable banjo attachments. basically if i have any problems with the turbo i dont need to arse around with the awkward lines, i can just unscrew the line itself, leaving the banjo attached to the turbo, or if i have a problem with the lines i can take them out without fully removing the turbo. can always go bigger turbo in future if i get bored too.

im actually awaiting a new jbs high flow cast manifold so the k04 stuff will do fine in the mean time!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.