Keep or sell? Cupra 290

Greydar

Jan 1, 2017
North Somerset UK
I've had my 2016 Cupra 290 Black for 6 years now. It has done me proud (well, apart from the water pump) and been a lot of fun. Hugely practical and driveable; insane if you want to plaster a big smile on your face. But are there problems on the horizon? Maybe it's time for something else? My wife doesn't like the hard ride (she has a bit of a back problem) and is beginning to moan (not in a good way) The car is in excellent nick, 36,000 miles and the only thing I really dislike is the rather crappy satnav. Also, I have a sneaky suspicion it may become a hot hatch "classic" in years to come, and actually go up in price.
What do you experts think?
I don't select "Cupra" mode very often any more (especially in the Autumn and Winter). Is it time for a Ford Focus? To give up a few BHP? And let's not forget the incredible braking - will I run into things?
Ah decisions, decisions.

KoenG

Jan 3, 2023
I would hold on to it.

It has low milage, but the age is already discounted in resale value. You already took the depreciation hit. Will it become a classic? I don't think so, but the depreciation rate will ease off a bit and you're most probably entering the period of low costs now (when big repairs remain out of your way).

The crappy satnav is a recurring phenomenon in all cars because we compare it with google maps on our brand new iphones 14 or Samsung s22 ultras containing several billion flops CPU's/4nm tech and 150Hz oled screens with 1500nits. Irrespective the car brand and cost, all of them will end up as utter crap within a few years.

The hard suspension? When you fancy a Focus ST, I doubt that you'll find comfort there. Any car with some "gusto" or "grinta" has a more high-strung ride. That's actually also part of the experience we seek. In my cupra 300 2022, there is a DCC with variable settings and I put it always in the most comfort oriented setting. But boy, when I put it in cupra mode, this thing feels planted and connected! On the other hand, my wife judges that even the comfort setting is a torture! ;)

Greydar

Jan 1, 2017
North Somerset UK
Thanks for your opinions. I think I agree with you guys - there is nothing particularly special about a stock 290 that has that "classic" feel (though I do regret parting with my Peugeot 205 GTI all those years ago) @KoenG - I get what you say about car Satnav's, and the ride. Trouble is that these days county councils try to save money by not filling the potholes and some of them are spine-jarring. I think your wife would very much agree with mine. I am not going to buy a Ford though. Unless it's a Mustang.

Reactions: KoenG

KoenG

Jan 3, 2023
Although I don't want to have a fight with the spouses, I believe a lot of it is between the ears. My wive can perfectly enjoy a ride in a rollercoaster with a lot of "jerk" in all possible directions, but she has a hard time in sitting in my Mk4 cupra. Of course she is used driving my BMW 5-series (F10/G30) for 10 years now and she has put the bar on that level now!?

When you search a car with great road composure, the new citroen C5 seems to do very well I believe!? The 225hp PHEV should be ok apparently. I've seen one and I have to say that's an impressive vehicle to look at. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect any of the Cupras' dexterious behaviour either. Hmmm, hard decisions I presume!?

CupraDupra

Jul 7, 2021
I’d definitely keep it if you still like it. I got rid of my 290 black in Alor blue back in Aug 2022 for a mummy xc60, lovely car but my heart isn’t in it so looking for another Cupra.

I was off my head selling it & miss it everyday I get into the Volvo. There’s a 290 black for sale in an AC near me so off to see it today!

Greydar

Jan 1, 2017
North Somerset UK
I’d definitely keep it if you still like it. I got rid of my 290 black in Alor blue back in Aug 2022 for a mummy xc60, lovely car but my heart isn’t in it so looking for another Cupra.

I was off my head selling it & miss it everyday I get into the Volvo. There’s a 290 black for sale in an AC near me so off to see it today!
Good luck. You put me in a bit of a spot because I don't want to sell but I am getting more and more grief from the wife. PM me if you want to make a private offer for mine. North Somerset region. Can't believe you went for a Volvo - no wonder you have regrets! Ha ha.

CupraDupra

Jul 7, 2021
Someone beat me to the Cupra. Will keep an eye out to see if anything else comes up. Tbh the Volvo does have all the space for all the things a baby needs, plus I paid for the polestar software to be put on it so once it’s going it’s pretty decent but I still miss the Cupra.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.