KESSY on FR?

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
Took delivery of my new 1.5 FR today, I was expecting keyless entry as well as keyless start. There’s no dimple on the door handle and whatever I do I can’t make it lock / unlock. Does this model not have it?

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
According to the UK pricelist only:
Excellence
Excellence Lux
FR First Edition

Have KESSY Advanced which allows locking and unlocking without using the key

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall
That explains it then, I’ve seen threads about keyless entry on FR models so must be first edition cars.

The marketing around these cars is shocking, it states KESSY on the FR but doesn’t explain that’s only keyless start. I’ve never heard of KESSY advanced.

Weirdly this is even more inconvenient than a traditional key ignition as you need the key in your hand to unlock it but then have to find somewhere to put you bunch of keys once inside. Maybe I’ll get used to it.
Also not an initial fan of the 1.5 engine after having had the 1.4 and 1.8 (which is probably the nicest engine I’ve ever driven). Maybe I’ll get used to that too...

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@julian24110; My VW has keyless entry / keyless start - the first car I’ve had with this feature and it‘s something I’d never choose to have if it wasn’t a standard feature. I always disable the keyless entry functionality when I lock the car for security reasons, so I’m effectively using it as you have described; key fob buttons to lock and unlock and the push button to turn the ignition on and off.

I‘ve always kept my car key fob separate from my other keys because with my previous cars with conventional key start ignition, I hated having a bunch of keys dangling near my knee when the car key was in the ignition. Once I’m in the car, there are various places that can be used to stow the car key fob in the centre console (I use one of the cup holders, because they’re close to the start button); presumably your Leon will also have similar places for oddments storage. It soon becomes second nature to pick the key fob up when you press the button to turn the engine off, so you‘ve got it ready to lock the car when you get out.

Reactions: RoadXY

RoadXY

Feb 28, 2021
@julian24110; My VW has keyless entry / keyless start - the first car I’ve had with this feature and it‘s something I’d never choose to have if it wasn’t a standard feature. I always disable the keyless entry functionality when I lock the car for security reasons, so I’m effectively using it as you have described; key fob buttons to lock and unlock and the push button to turn the ignition on and off.

I‘ve always kept my car key fob separate from my other keys because with my previous cars with conventional key start ignition, I hated having a bunch of keys dangling near my knee when the car key was in the ignition. Once I’m in the car, there are various places that can be used to stow the car key fob in the centre console (I use one of the cup holders, because they’re close to the start button); presumably your Leon will also have similar places for oddments storage. It soon becomes second nature to pick the key fob up when you press the button to turn the engine off, so you‘ve got it ready to lock the car when you get out.
This, exactly how I do it.
Have the car key seperate from the other keys. There is an special place/pocket for the key next to the shifter in the Leon.
When I still have my winter jacket on I'll leave all keys in my jacket.

Mayberley

Jan 23, 2021
UK
That explains it then, I’ve seen threads about keyless entry on FR models so must be first edition cars.

The marketing around these cars is shocking, it states KESSY on the FR but doesn’t explain that’s only keyless start. I’ve never heard of KESSY advanced.

Weirdly this is even more inconvenient than a traditional key ignition as you need the key in your hand to unlock it but then have to find somewhere to put you bunch of keys once inside. Maybe I’ll get used to it.
Also not an initial fan of the 1.5 engine after having had the 1.4 and 1.8 (which is probably the nicest engine I’ve ever driven). Maybe I’ll get used to that too...
I’ve got the first edition and keyless entry doesn’t work 9 times out of 10. It’s annoying as it always worked flawlessly on my previous Leon.

Izzy77

Feb 6, 2017
I’ve got the first edition and keyless entry doesn’t work 9 times out of 10. It’s annoying as it always worked flawlessly on my previous Leon.
First edition too - keyless entry would only work intermittently for me too. Very annoying. Of course, when I went to show himself how it "wasn't working", it worked flawlessly each time 😂 typical!

mackan73

Jan 23, 2021
What do they have to do to fix it? Do they need the car for long?
They kept mine for two days, but they wanted to also check the reverse camera.
I think they updated an SW and then run some tests for the keyless entry issue. It should not take so long, probably a couple of hours.

Izzy77

Feb 6, 2017
They kept mine for two days, but they wanted to also check the reverse camera.
I think they updated an SW and then run some tests for the keyless entry issue. It should not take so long, probably a couple of hours.
Can I ask if they sorted your reversing camera issue? I'm waiting nearly a month to hear back if they have a fix for it. Its still not working.

mackan73

Jan 23, 2021
Can I ask if they sorted your reversing camera issue? I'm waiting nearly a month to hear back if they have a fix for it. Its still not working.
No, they found that it was a known fault that Seat is trying to solve.
For me it has only happen once and lasted a couple of days. Right now the reverse camera works fine.

May 1, 2021
The keyless system is very badly explained by Seat. In Ireland its an optional extra and included on XC and FR+ but on my FR+ it is only keyless entry/start not keyless locking, so you still have to pull the key out to lock. there is KESSY with SAFE option which seems to be the one with keyless locking, but the specs document really doesnt explain it well at all!

Deleted member 123864

The keyless system is very badly explained by Seat. In Ireland its an optional extra and included on XC and FR+ but on my FR+ it is only keyless entry/start not keyless locking, so you still have to pull the key out to lock. there is KESSY with SAFE option which seems to be the one with keyless locking, but the specs document really doesnt explain it well at all!
I think you’re wrong there. There’s only 2 types of keyless, one with only start stop and the other with entry too. To lock on the latter you press/touch the dimple on the door handle

Edit: SAFE when it comes to KESSY is deadlocks. If you're inside when locked with SAFE you won't get out.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 1, 2021
I think you’re wrong there. There’s only 2 types of keyless, one with only start stop and the other with entry too. To lock on the latter you press/touch the dimple on the door handle

Edit: SAFE when it comes to KESSY is deadlocks. If you're inside when locked with SAFE you won't get out.
Hmmm ok. The keyless entry has worked every time for me, no issues. I did try to lock it by pressing the dimple on the door handle but that did nothing.

it’s taking a lot of effort to remember to lock the car, as I’m coming from a Megane GT that had keyless locking that would lock when you walked away from the car.

Tell

Staff member
Hmmm ok. The keyless entry has worked every time for me, no issues. I did try to lock it by pressing the dimple on the door handle but that did nothing.

it’s taking a lot of effort to remember to lock the car, as I’m coming from a Megane GT that had keyless locking that would lock when you walked away from the car.
Kessy: You cover the dimple with the back of your hand or front thumb if you dont fancy back of the hand. Easier back of the fingers to lock (back of the hand), grab handle to open. No pressing, proximity sensor.

May 1, 2021
Kessy: You cover the dimple with the back of your hand or front thumb if you dont fancy back of the hand. Easier back of the fingers to lock (back of the hand), grab handle to open. No pressing, proximity sensor.
WOW! it works! it would be nice to see that in the manual! maybe it was and i didnt see it, but THANK YOU for the info! I know will not be forgetting to lock the car or pulling the key out!

FalconTech

Jun 8, 2021
Holding your hand on the surface of the closing sensor will also close the windows and the roof.

keyless.PNG

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.