LCR Questions

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi
Just bought an LCR on a 55 plate.
I have a few questions which I'm not sure about.
Which engine does it have? I know it's 225 horses but is it the BAM engine?
What is the reasoning for an N249 bypass.
Lastly the discs are shot and I've ordered some Black Diamond combi discs front and rear, what calipers are on the rear? As I need to change pads for DS2500s. There seem to be a couple of different ones available.
Still on the brakes, is there a way of getting the correct Brembo red paint.
The Brembo calipers on this one only need new stickers and lacquer, but I'd like the backs to be the same colour as up front, as the paint is flaking slightly on rears. Also I bought a second hand set of Brembos for an upgrade to my LC but I'll be referbing and selling later on now as the LC should be sold. It will break my heart to see it go, but I hope this new LCR will be a great upgrade.
Any help would be great.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
In case any one wants to know. I've found proper Brembo red caliper paint.
Also Brembo vinyl stickers which can be put on over the lacquer garunteed against jet wash.
Better because if there is any air under the sticker when you lacquer over it creates a tiny bubble and a weak point.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Look on left,front,top of engine for code just like the lc.
N249 = cleans up bay and better response from throttle plus you don't have to replace it if it goes faulty.
Disks, pass on that one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Removing the N249 doesn't improve throttle response. It has one function, and that's to open the DV a fraction of a second before it would open using vacuum pressure alone. It only happens when you lift off the gas pedal, and that fraction of a second stops the compressor stalling, prevents damage to the turbo and probably reduces lag slightly as the compressor is kept spinning.

IMO you should definitely keep it!

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Removing the N249 doesn't improve throttle response. It has one function, and that's to open the DV a fraction of a second before it would open using vacuum pressure alone. It only happens when you lift off the gas pedal, and that fraction of a second stops the compressor stalling, prevents damage to the turbo and probably reduces lag slightly as the compressor is kept spinning.

Thanks for the advice. Think it's staying after seeing threads on here of all sorts of problems and fault codes being thrown up.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Look on left,front,top of engine for code just like the lc.
N249 = cleans up bay and better response from throttle plus you don't have to replace it if it goes faulty.
Disks, pass on that one.

Cheers. Yup have a BAM 225
Ordered new combi discs, Goodrich braided hoses and ferodo ds 2500s should stop on a six pence.
Just want to order correct pads for rear now. Then paint up the rear calipers with the Brembo red paint. I want it to match the fronts. They look strange when post box red on the rears.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Thanks for the advice. Think it's staying after seeing threads on here of all sorts of problems and fault codes being thrown up.

No prob's mate, here's what elsawin says about your rear brakes

lcr%20brakes_zpscx8ie4ix.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough

Seemed to clear up the judder from the peddle my end, light footed on the throttle was horrible at low speeds, removed as like some I'm new to this, read the guides and tried to make things smoother and it worked for me.
What i understood was it changed from ecu/n249 controlled, to back to basics vac controlled. I've not read anything about damage to the turbo??

Before anyone says anything on here...I don't doubt you for a second as you help many people on here with great advice/guides/links or just some really good info. Think somewhere i got misinformed as damage to turbo i would of noticed and not done this modification.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Seemed to clear up the judder from the peddle my end, light footed on the throttle was horrible at low speeds, removed as like some I'm new to this, read the guides and tried to make things smoother and it worked for me.
What i understood was it changed from ecu/n249 controlled, to back to basics vac controlled. I've not read anything about damage to the turbo??

Before anyone says anything on here...I don't doubt you for a second as you help many people on here with great advice/guides/links or just some really good info. Think somewhere i got misinformed as damage to turbo i would of noticed and not done this modification.

Hi again buddy. First off, I'm always happy for anyone to disagree and/or debate stuff that i say, it doesn't matter if they have 1 post or 10,000. :)

I don't claim to be an expert on these motors and if people have different thoughts or experiences, then IMO the whole point of having a forum is to discuss it.

I don't doubt your experience with your motor either. I may be wrong, or it may have been malfuctioning on your motor, hence the throttle improvement when removed, But AFAIK, the N249 shouldn't have anything other than a positive impact on throttle response otherwise.

My info on it comes from reading this... It was debated in this thread from another forum :ban: :) http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...p-the-N249&p=84628109&viewfull=1#post84628109

If you have a read through the thread (it's pretty long and technical in places) then after much data logging and consulting of Bosch ECU diagrams, the conclusion was that the only time it can open is coming off the throttle, and it's only function is to stop the turbo stalling when the boost air has nowhere to go.

As far as damage to the turbo goes, i don't think it's be any means certain to kill your turbo, but if removing it does cause the turbo to stall at times, then repeatedly going from 120,000 rpm to a complete standstill in a fraction of a second must put a huge strain on it IMO.

Like i said earlier, if anyone can find data logs or other convincing evidence that removing it improves performance, then i'd be happy to be proved wrong and i'd remove mine tomorrow.

Last edited:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
So on reading from where you linked "i will read the whole thread later" it seems them boys had it down with info on that n249.
May just put that back on as when i boot the car i do feel a sort of delay...If only for that split second i do feel it at high rpm on gear change and my stock dv sounds like it's going to split/fly through the bonnet it's that loud. I guess again, on removing n249 would put more pressure on the dv so would increase the sound level "something I'm really not a fan of"

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
my stock dv sounds like it's going to split/fly through the bonnet it's that loud. I guess again, on removing n249 would put more pressure on the dv so would increase the sound level "something I'm really not a fan of"

Yeah, the fact that it makes a louder noise, has IMO got to be evidence that the air being released is at a higher pressure than it would have been with the N249 in place. That extra pressure is quite possibly causing your turbo to stall and hence increasing turbo lag as you change up into the next gear.

I felt the same as you in terms of that thread, they certainly know their stuff. I understand most of the mechinical side of it, but most of the ECU 'logic control diagrams' are way over my head,lol.

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Thanks again gents.
With all that's been said here I think mine will run as designed.
Ah except for a TIP, Diverter Valve, Exhaust and a Map!!!
All coming soon.
Brakes first.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Thanks again gents.
With all that's been said here I think mine will run as designed.
Ah except for a TIP, Diverter Valve, Exhaust and a Map!!!
All coming soon.
Brakes first.

No worries mate, and yeah brakes first is always a good idea. :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.