Leaky tail light - seal part number?

Who. Me?

Mar 24, 2007
Hi

2007 Leon Stylance...

We have a leak in to the rear left tail light cluster (the one on the tailgate, not the one on the rear quarter panel). Could you confirm the part number for the seal(s) for that light please?

When we open the tailgate after rain, water pours out from behind the trim panel on the inside of the tailgate. We also have water getting in to the boot and the boot mat and wicking from there in to the rear seat. After the last couple of weeks of rain, I've had to pull the rear seat bench and lift the rear part of the carpet.

I can see water droplets in the tail light, so I think it's leaking in to that and then behind the trim panel in to the boot. Our driveway slopes and the car is always parked nose-down, which probably makes it worse.

The tailgate to body seal looks fine, so are there any other places water can get in to the boot? It's not coming from the rear screen wash tube - I had that problem years ago, so know what to look for and I've checked (and that's on the other side of the boot anyhow).

I'm going to try to replace that light seal anyhow, if someone can confirm the part number for me please?

Thanks

Who. Me?

Mar 24, 2007
Thanks. They don't seem to list a seal or gasket at all. I hope it's not part of the tail light and not separately available.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
No separate seal as far as I am aware. It's part of the light unit but I would imagine you could fashion something suitable from some silicone foam strip or something similar.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Check the wiring gasket at the top of the hatch. I feel it's more likely coming in from the top than around the light.

Who. Me?

Mar 24, 2007
Check the wiring gasket at the top of the hatch. I feel it's more likely coming in from the top than around the light.
|Pulled all the rear trim out and my Mrs got in the boot while I ran a hose over the rear hatch. The water was coming from the seam where the outboard tail light bucket meets the rear panel on both sides. I squeezed 3M seam sealer in to the seam all the way round the bucket and it's stopped the leak.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members