Leon 1.4TSi vs Golf 1.4 DSG

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
Right, Ive had a Leon 1.4TSi for nearly 2 years now. I am very pleased with the engine which gives me the best combo of performance, smoothness and economy, however, I now want an automatic and Seat dont appear to do the 1.4 with a DSG? Has anyone had the Golf 1.4DSG and if so what are theperceived advanatges/disadvantages in terms of performance-I think the Leon is a bit quicke, & trim quality where the Golf is said to be a bit better, and anything else that may be apparent?

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
Right, Ive had a Leon 1.4TSi for nearly 2 years now. I am very pleased with the engine which gives me the best combo of performance, smoothness and economy, however, I now want an automatic and Seat dont appear to do the 1.4 with a DSG? Has anyone had the Golf 1.4DSG and if so what are theperceived advanatges/disadvantages in terms of performance-I think the Leon is a bit quicke, & trim quality where the Golf is said to be a bit better, and anything else that may be apparent?

I'm asking myself the same sort of questions. I've had a Leon FR 1.8Tsi for 3 and a half years now and love the 1.8. I do want to change my car before the end of May when it gets to 4 years old.
What I originally thought was that I was definitely going for another Leon 1.8 but this time have the DSG. However, with the coming facelift there have been a few doubts as to whether the 1.8Tsi engine will still be available. It's looking more positive now that the 1.8 will be available, but I have during this time of uncertainty been looking at alternatives.

The two alternatives I have been considering are to stick with the Leon FR and have a 1.4 Tsi ACT DSG or the very similar Golf GT edition DSG which has the same engine.
A new Leon FR with the 1.8 engine and DSG with Technology Pack and metallic paint is going to be getting on for £25,000 without too many more extras.
If the 1.8 is not available a 1.4 Leon FR DSG will still be getting on for £23,500 again with Technology Pack and metallic paint but I will not be getting the multilink suspension and better brakes that I have enjoyed on my 1.8.
The Golf GT edition DSG with the same 1.4Tsi engine with metallic paint would be almost £27,000 but that does come with the multilink suspension. Also the Golf GT edition comes with so many other extras included as standard that I would have to pay for in the Leon FR.

Although I really thought I wanted another 1.8 Leon FR the Golf 1.4 GT edition is becoming more and more of a consideration. This would be my 4th Leon FR from my current dealer but I think they may have to come up with a very good deal this time to keep my custom.

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
I'm asking myself the same sort of questions. I've had a Leon FR 1.8Tsi for 3 and a half years now and love the 1.8. I do want to change my car before the end of May when it gets to 4 years old.
What I originally thought was that I was definitely going for another Leon 1.8 but this time have the DSG. However, with the coming facelift there have been a few doubts as to whether the 1.8Tsi engine will still be available. It's looking more positive now that the 1.8 will be available, but I have during this time of uncertainty been looking at alternatives.

The two alternatives I have been considering are to stick with the Leon FR and have a 1.4 Tsi ACT DSG or the very similar Golf GT edition DSG which has the same engine.
A new Leon FR with the 1.8 engine and DSG with Technology Pack and metallic paint is going to be getting on for £25,000 without too many more extras.
If the 1.8 is not available a 1.4 Leon FR DSG will still be getting on for £23,500 again with Technology Pack and metallic paint but I will not be getting the multilink suspension and better brakes that I have enjoyed on my 1.8.
The Golf GT edition DSG with the same 1.4Tsi engine with metallic paint would be almost £27,000 but that does come with the multilink suspension. Also the Golf GT edition comes with so many other extras included as standard that I would have to pay for in the Leon FR.

Although I really thought I wanted another 1.8 Leon FR the Golf 1.4 GT edition is becoming more and more of a consideration. This would be my 4th Leon FR from my current dealer but I think they may have to come up with a very good deal this time to keep my custom.

The 1.4 will be like riding a moped after the 1.8 ! ...just kidding its a good engine, but I honestly don't think I could compromise on the suspension and certainly wouldn't want any lesser brakes than on the 180 even with slightly less power. Out of interest why are you set on changing for a newer model ?

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
The 1.4 will be like riding a moped after the 1.8 ! ...just kidding its a good engine, but I honestly don't think I could compromise on the suspension and certainly wouldn't want any lesser brakes than on the 180 even with slightly less power. Out of interest why are you set on changing for a newer model ?

Mainly because I've always changed my car roughly every 3 years. I've never gone past 4 years! Just habit really, always done it.
I agree with you. I wouldn't really want to compromise on the suspension and so therefore I hope that the 1.8 will still be available after the facelift. Otherwise it is looking more and more like the 1.4 Golf which unlike the 1.4 Leon does have the better suspension.

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
Interesting replies above, an important point to consider is however:- does the VW Golf have noticeably better trim in places where the Seat is slightly let down, e.g door trim material is easily marked, especially the woven material at the top of the door, also the seats, though very comfortable, are easily marked thogh that could be because the 'charcoal' colour shows everything, the carpets are a bit like velcro when it comes to vacuuming, I have to pick bits off with my fingernails. Finally, the Seat lower plastic trim materials can get scuffed without too much trouble and are probably not of the quality of the VW brand but how far behind is it?

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
Having been on the other side of this - I own a mk7 2.0 tdi golf estate looking to move over to a leon; The quality of the interior is definitely a lot better on the golf. Particularly the plastics and other materials used in the centre console and dash.

Having said that, the media blurb claims the facelift leon is looking to make big improvements in that area; I can see from the press photographs they've added things like rubber mats in all the storage trays to reduce rattles, (as seen in the golf) so there's definitely some improvement in attention to detail.

I test drove a leon SC with the 1.4 EcoTSI engine & manual box a few months ago and I was really impressed with it. It is on paper slightly quicker than the diesel but perhaps slightly slower in the real world. I found it really relaxing to drive compared to the diesel. I'm sure the 1.8 is even better. The torque figure for the 1.4 and 1.8 is actually the same because of the torque limit of the 7sp dsg; so the 1.8 must really pick up at high revs!

For me as a company car driver the 1.4 ecoTSI engine is in a real sweet spot on compromise of power economy and emissions.

Not sure you really need the better suspension on the 1.4, there's quite a lot less weight. The SC i drove (i asssume the SC also has the cheaper rear suspension) drove better than the golf with the independant setup, but then I suppose it would anyway!

Julio

Nov 20, 2016
Manchester
Just picked up the 1.4 ACT Leon SC FR, great engine, I find I try and turn the engine on when it's already on because you can barely hear it. I've come from a 170bhp diesel, and I don't find the 150 in this lacking at all.

I'd be interested to see how much of a difference the independent rear suspension is, I find the ride is damped well, but it is a bit firm on FR trim with 18 inch alloys.

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
Just picked up the 1.4 ACT Leon SC FR, great engine, I find I try and turn the engine on when it's already on because you can barely hear it. I've come from a 170bhp diesel, and I don't find the 150 in this lacking at all.

I'd be interested to see how much of a difference the independent rear suspension is, I find the ride is damped well, but it is a bit firm on FR trim with 18 inch alloys.

I have the 1.4 SC Se, i.e standard suspension. The performance really is better than I ever imagined for a 1.4 having come from larger sporty diesels, the turbo gives it a similar feel in terms of torque curve as a good diesel and with very little turbo lag. My suspension is not lowered as with the FR,and for me the best compromise between comfort and handling, however I do find that Dunlop Blue Response tyres noticeably harder than the previous Bridgestones so maybe when/if you change tyres on your FR you research tyres with a comfort bias.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise