LEON CUPRA 1p MK2 - Head Unit Issue

Sep 21, 2022
Hi Team,

I have a issue with the radio - it just comes on when the car is off and drains the battery. I figured out that if I leave a CD in it , half way - the radio doesn't come on again.

Any ideas for a fix for it or alternatively, is this an opportunity to upgrade the head to unit to a newer model? Any guidance appreciated!

Regards
Kensh

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi Team,

I have a issue with the radio - it just comes on when the car is off and drains the battery. I figured out that if I leave a CD in it , half way - the radio doesn't come on again.

Any ideas for a fix for it or alternatively, is this an opportunity to upgrade the head to unit to a newer model? Any guidance appreciated!

Regards
Kensh
Hi is your head unit a aftermarket one or a factory unit? If it’s aftermarket one you’d need to remove it and find the power cable and connect it to a switched live instead or permanently live that way when you turn the ignition off the head unit will do the same.

Sep 21, 2022
Thank you for your reply!

Noted - Its the factor unit. the factory unit in the 1P MK2 model, not the 1P MK1 Model

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Thank you for your reply!

Noted - Its the factor unit. the factory unit in the 1P MK2 model, not the 1P MK1 Model
That’s strange as the factory unit is supposed to switch off when the ignition is off unless the user presses the power button then it’ll come back on.
I would still take it out and check the wiring as maybe the last owner had a after one and it’s still running off a different power source. It’s a difficult one without looking at unfortunately I think your going to have to remove it to check either way. You can buy the removal keys in Halfords too if they have them in stock are normally less then £10

Reactions: MrKensh

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Earlier cars did have issues with the CAN BUS Gateway module I think, it would cause power drain when they fitted an RNS-315 or similar.

Upgrading the module to a later variant fixed the problem.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.