Leon Cupra 290 Service Intervals

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
Looking around at the moment to find a 2019 (69) / 2020 (20) Leon 290 Cupra to line up alongside our Ateca and have a quick question.

What is the official service interval for the 290 Cupra? A dealer today said it could be up to two years max, or less if on a service plan. I'm looking at two tomorrow at the same dealer, both late 2019 (69) with similar mileages of 5,000, but when I asked if the first year's service would be done, I was told it was two years.

For info, if I get one, it would do no more than 6,000 miles a year.

Thanks.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that the deal was, if you bought the car with a prepaid service plan, it came set on fixed, ie year/10K miles service intervals. If you bought it without a service plan then it could be handed over with variable servicing, ie at "worst" 2 years if only used for infrequent motorway long journeys.
If it is ex-lease then again I'd think that it will have had minimal money spent on servicing.

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
I think that the deal was, if you bought the car with a prepaid service plan, it came set on fixed, ie year/10K miles service intervals. If you bought it without a service plan then it could be handed over with variable servicing, ie at "worst" 2 years if only used for infrequent motorway long journeys.
If it is ex-lease then again I'd think that it will have had minimal money spent on servicing.
Thanks for your reply - they are October and December 2019 registered, so from what I was told today about no service due, then nothing has been done. If I end up buying one of them I'd ask for an oil change, because despite high or low miles per year, an annual oil change to me is the right thing to do for long term health of the engine. They are both SEAT group cars from registration.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If they are "approved used cars" from any VW Group dealership, I think that part of the package is an oil and filter change before being handed over.

Have you tried to sniff out "pre reg" ones, that was what my daughter bought back in August 2019, an end of April 2019 reg'd Cupra and doing that will not have cost her anything over her period of ownership, big motoring groups do do silly/smart things like pre reg'ng to meet targets or price breaks with the brand's UK importer.

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
If they are "approved used cars" from any VW Group dealership, I think that part of the package is an oil and filter change before being handed over.

Have you tried to sniff out "pre reg" ones, that was what my daughter bought back in August 2019, an end of April 2019 reg'd Cupra and doing that will not have cost her anything over her period of ownership, big motoring groups do do silly/smart things like pre reg'ng to meet targets or price breaks with the brand's UK importer.
Yeah, seen a few as a lot of selection out there, even 70 plate Mk3s. The December 2019 registered one I'm looking at tomorrow is up for £22,300 with just over 4k miles. Quite happy with that. Oddly, the other one is an October 2019 with a few more miles but is up for £23,500 - work that one out!

I'm told they're priced accordingly for what they owe SEAT with no movement on price possible.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That daughter probably paid what was asked, but did not accept the trade in price for her late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 SC so sold that on Gumtree to a small used car dealer for more cash.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As far as I'm aware the cupra service interval is yearly regardless of milage or 10,000 mile

That thinking goes against the VW Group trend, for instance in Audiland you need to run an R8 and maybe some of the RS models to be in a group that can't use the flexible servicing option, Cupra is no where near being that.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I posted this on another thread recently:

Cupra Leon models can be on either annual or longlife service - they are set to longlife when they leave the factory, but can be changed to customer preference at PDI. Most people that run Cupras are enthusiasts or like a good PCH/PCP deal and chop cars in frequently - the former will generally go for annual, the latter will try to go a two year term without additional servicing costs.

In addition, although my Cupra was set to longlife, it was only showing 15,300 miles to oil service from new eventually dropping to 13,700 miles, whereas it should have been at 18,700 if set up correctly.

Reactions: Loadmaster748
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members