leon cupra , owning one

Chris_Cupra

Apr 17, 2007
Athens, Greece
I have yet to find an ST or VXR that is faster than my Cupra off the lights ;).

Also, a full Milltek sorts the noise issue out.

Negative points of the Leon in my opinion are;
Centre part of dash - I think SEAT designed it with too much focus on making the Golf/A3 look better. They could have done it much better.
Fuel economy is not great, but it is better than an ST in that regard and no worse than the VXR.
Standard car looks almost the same as an FR.
Sound quality from stereo is crap.

Plus points;
They are rare.
Engine is excellent.
Comfort is excellent although ride is a little stotty with standard springs.
Brakes.

The ST and VXR are common and while both have positive points, the ST is a little heavy, thirsty and underpowered and the VXR is a bit like a Burberry Cap and has comparatively crap power delivery and torque steer compared to the Cupra.

The Cupra out the box with a few miles is clocking close on 260bhp on various rolling roads. The ST is lucky to attain is 220 odd just as the Astra struggles to put out the claimed 240bhp. There is no way a properly driven Cupra is gonna get beat at any lights by a VXR or an ST.

What the Cupra could def use is an LSD like the Megane and Focus RS.

I would go for it - or spend a little more and get a Golf GTi Ed30 which is essentially the same car with a better dashboard, poorer brakes, soon to be replaced body style and the option of DSG.

I absolutely agree with djhorace ...:) The new LC is faster than the Astra OPC and Focus ST off the line, the difference being more noticeable at speeds above 140km/h due to the more linear power delivery of the Cupra as well as it's more free revving engine >5000 rpm where the other 2 (OPC and ST) feel like pushing no more power ...:)
I recently had a go with a Focus ST modded by Wolf (putting out 290hp to the wheels as his driver claimed-i don't know how much accurate is that), and the result was in any instance (off the line and mid-range accelerations from 2nd or 3rd gear) 3-5 cars ahead for the Cupra...:clap:[B)]:whistle: Not to forget to mention that my Cupra is remapped, with 2.75" full turbo-back resonated Milltek exhaust and v-flow induction (not RR'd yet) ...!!!:)...

As we after went with both cars, I noticed that the ST was running out of steam after 5.500rpm, while the ST's owner was impressed how the Cupra was pushing up to 7.300rpms ...:headhurt::rolleyes:[B)]

tim1505

Had my Cupra 2 months , luna grey with an aero kit , single exhaust. Plus sides are the looks and the power,handling is up there too .The car gets loads of looks and people looking around it when i've parked up.
The minus points are , fuel economy ( but its a performance car I know ) Brakes, although you can stop on a ten pence piece, they are either on or off and lack progressive feel. Rusty wheel hubs, rattling dash, knocking noises from other places, engine chugging, rough idle Alloys that protrude slightly too much, and waiting to be kerbed ! The car needed a new clutch after 6k due to build fault. Its not the car I'd thought it'd be for £19k , traded in a mk 1cupra for it , and I think I prefered that. Shame I know. Maybe I should've bought that GTI. Only time will tell.:cry:

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
I think the only really annoying thing is the rusty hubs. The rough idle is a bit strange I know. It bugs me a little but it doesn't stop me loving this car.

I had a Mk1 Cupra and that had more squeaks than this one. The new cupra is miles ahead of the old one that's for sure.

Get it remapped for more smiles per gallon.

If you had bought the GTi you would have got less power and toys and paid more. From others who speak about the golf it has rattles and rusty hubs too. I think there is even a guy on the forum who traded his Gti in for a cupra and doesn't regret it for a minute.

MonTheFish

thinking of swapping my 225 TT for a K1. My main concerns seems to be around the build quality and the overall look of the interior compared to the TT as well as the drop from the bose sound system to the oem one.

I think I'll just have to give one a test drive and see what happens.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.