Leon Cupra vs Golf R - I can't decide

UTCIAD

Dorset
May 6, 2014
Bournemouth
I've owned a few Seats and I like them (currently driving an Ibiza Cupra '13), I've had my eye on the Leon Cupra for a while now but my head has been turned by the Golf R and I'm having trouble deciding. I decided I would test drive the golf before I went and bought the leon, just to be sure, and I left with a huge grin on my face so I'm now pretty confused. Although the steering did feel a little heavy the pull on that thing was insane. I've only driven the cupra ST and the sales guy was less 'encouraging' when it came to putting my foot down so not sure I pushed it as much as I should have, but the difference felt pretty big in the Golf. The price difference isn't all that much, probably £3,000ish - depending on deals and extras. It's also worth bearing in mind that the depreciation is probably better for the golf.

I've done a fair bit of reading and it seems they are fairly evenly matched and if anything the Cupra is faster on the track. However, that 0-60 in 4.9 on the Golf is very tempting and I kind of feel I might be disappointed if I opt for the leon instead.

Anyone made a similar decision or have experience/opinions of them both?

Additionally, the S3 is the same price as the golf at the moment, which is also tempting.

I can understand your dilemma, these are both fine cars, either of which would most probably be great to own for many folk. As others have said already it comes down to personal preference, I'm only reading this thread as I have a Cupra 280 however my brother has a Golf R that I have done plenty of miles in.

In my humble opinion there is very little between them in terms of performance, you say the pull on the Golf is insane - if you had the opportunity to drive the Seat the same way you would say the same thing, for me the differences are a) the Seat feels livelier pretty much all of the time and b) the Golf delivers it's power more assuredly in the wet but then I am still on the original (and pretty poor) Bridgestones and other drivers that have changed rubber report better results.

Both my car and my brother's are 5 door manuals with very few options ticked, to keep costs down. I prefer the Cupra's spec - the Golf's fixed damper settings are well enough judged but I find that I do use the different DCC settings in the Cupra most days according to road/weather/traffic conditions. I don't use the Nav a great deal but it does a good enough job when required, for VW not to include it as standard on a car of this price seems criminal to me - I wouldn't want to pay what they charge as an extra cost option but then again sticking a tom-tom to the screen of a Golf R isn't that appealing either. Then there are a few personal preferences too - I actually prefer the main instruments in the Seat, the analogue fuel and temperature gauges in the Golf clutter things up too much, having LEDs for these around the edge of the speedo and tacho keep it looking cleaner, I also prefer the seats, wheels, shape and rarity of the Cupra over the Golf.

For me price is a factor, if the cost of a Golf R with metallic paint, 19s, adaptive dampers and sat nav was remotely near the Cupra I might just be tempted to change but it isn't, which is why I have just ordered a Cupra 290 in Alor Blue to replace my Ice Silver 280 when the 2 year lease is up in July. Can't wait for the new car but will enjoy my last few months in the current one too. Good luck with whatever you end up choosing.

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015
A really useful post with some factual but a lot of subjective views. Sums up how there is never going to be a yes or no answer for everyone. Weigh up your pros and cons and see what comes out on top. The Golf R is a great car, no one is denying that.

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
I can understand your dilemma, these are both fine cars, either of which would most probably be great to own for many folk. As others have said already it comes down to personal preference, I'm only reading this thread as I have a Cupra 280 however my brother has a Golf R that I have done plenty of miles in.

In my humble opinion there is very little between them in terms of performance, you say the pull on the Golf is insane - if you had the opportunity to drive the Seat the same way you would say the same thing, for me the differences are a) the Seat feels livelier pretty much all of the time and b) the Golf delivers it's power more assuredly in the wet but then I am still on the original (and pretty poor) Bridgestones and other drivers that have changed rubber report better results.

Both my car and my brother's are 5 door manuals with very few options ticked, to keep costs down. I prefer the Cupra's spec - the Golf's fixed damper settings are well enough judged but I find that I do use the different DCC settings in the Cupra most days according to road/weather/traffic conditions. I don't use the Nav a great deal but it does a good enough job when required, for VW not to include it as standard on a car of this price seems criminal to me - I wouldn't want to pay what they charge as an extra cost option but then again sticking a tom-tom to the screen of a Golf R isn't that appealing either. Then there are a few personal preferences too - I actually prefer the main instruments in the Seat, the analogue fuel and temperature gauges in the Golf clutter things up too much, having LEDs for these around the edge of the speedo and tacho keep it looking cleaner, I also prefer the seats, wheels, shape and rarity of the Cupra over the Golf.

For me price is a factor, if the cost of a Golf R with metallic paint, 19s, adaptive dampers and sat nav was remotely near the Cupra I might just be tempted to change but it isn't, which is why I have just ordered a Cupra 290 in Alor Blue to replace my Ice Silver 280 when the 2 year lease is up in July. Can't wait for the new car but will enjoy my last few months in the current one too. Good luck with whatever you end up choosing.

Sound comparison, I'd agree especially when it comes down to the options. 1700 quid for leather, that's taking the P**S. The cupra definitely feels more freely revved out, more lively I suppose that's down to the hilarious HP through the front wheels... Looks are subjective with the Golf, it's either too subtle or the fact that it's a GOLF...

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
You should go test out the m135i its an absolute beast. You will forget about the other 3 straight away :D
Iv ordered the 290 myself over the golf r only reason being that in my area you see a golf r on every corner and I wanted something unique. Im still yet to see a cupra on road havent seen a single one to be honest. I would of went for the 135 myself but the insurance is extortion coming over 5k because of my age.

I've just ordered a Leon Cupra 290 Sub 8 having owned an M135i for 15 months. In my opinion, the BMW interior has a more 'premium' feel if you could call it that over Cupra and the 6 cylinder engine definitely sounds better and is smoother. It's also torquier (is that how you spell it?) in the low-mid range but probably not much in it when revved out as the 280 Cupra unit I test drove felt keener at the top end.

I think it comes down to what you want from your hot hatch. For me, the M135i was just a bit too soft coming from an R26 previously. More of a GT hatch than a hot hatch. I also place the Golf R and more so, the Audi S3 in the GT hatch category although to be fair, I've haven't driven either. There is noticeable body roll in my BMW and the suspension has a hard time keeping track of the body mass through quick direction changes which always dents my confidence. It's a horrible motoring cliche but to me, the M135i is 7/10s car. Great when driving up to 7/10, but when you want to push it, it can get all out of shape whereas my R26 and the Leon just get better and better. I wished I'd had a long test drive on my favourite B-roads before I bought the BMW as I wasn't able to explore the handling on the couple of tests I had.

To me, the Cupra is much more fun and involving than the BMW. I got a great est drive before deciding to buy. It might not sound as good, look as nice inside (although I prefer it's exterior to the BMW) or be quite so quick through the mid range but it's definitely a quicker car across most roads in my opinion. But as I say, it all comes down to personal choice.

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
To me, the Cupra is much more fun and involving than the BMW. I got a great est drive before deciding to buy. It might not sound as good, look as nice inside (although I prefer it's exterior to the BMW) or be quite so quick through the mid range but it's definitely a quicker car across most roads in my opinion. But as I say, it all comes down to personal choice.

Actually, I really like the sound of 290 from what I saw in the vids and love the interior even though I understand why some ppl would prefer BMW or Merc, to me its just too "futuristic". Upgrading from 1.8mk3 to Cupra 290 and cant wait.

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
Don't get me wrong, I still like the sound of the Cupra. As far as 2litre 4 pot turbos go, it's one of the better sounds but I'll miss the engine note in the M135. I know the BMW amplifies the induction note in the cabin but they claim that they don't alter the actual tone.

Does the Cupra do the same thing or does it alter the sound as well as amplifying in Sport/Cupra modes?