Leon Mk2 1.6 TDI Poor MPG

May 21, 2020
I have a 2010 Seat Leon 1.6 Ecomotive (105bhp) which has had the emissions update done to the ECU (prior to my ownership) however I don’t really believe that the car is as good on Diesel as it should be.

I get on average 35mpg around town and around 43mpg on a motorway! With a full talk of Diesel lasting around 470-500 miles.

Is the MPG reading from the dash wrong ? If it is correct is there anything I can do to improve this ?

The MPG figures feels disappointing for a Ecomotive model

Thanks

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yea the emissions fix totally screws up the fuel economy and causes all sorts of problems with emission control systems.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
500 miles is about what I get out of my 2.0 TDi.

When on the motorway what speeds are you doing? Mine gets around 60mpg around 55-60mph but it drops off a lot above that.

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Does seem a bit off... in winter I was still getting mid-high 40s round town and mid to high 50s at least on a run. I used to get 50s and 60s quite easily.

I'd deffo try and do a few brim to brim calculations to make sure the dash reading is correct.

Also I'd recommend getting shut of the 'fix' if you can - I got mine remapped very shortly after Seat kindly put the fix on mine without asking me, the re-gens went from around every 200 miles back to every 400 and odd, bit more mpg and a few more horses too which make the 1.6 a bit more enjoyable.

Check out VAG DPF app with a OBD2 adaptor - I'm using a carista dongle with mine you can see what your DPF is doing and what the ash mass is up to.

Also check all the usual things, service items etc.

If honest john's real mpg figures are anything to go off then seems the average mpg for a 1.6 ecomotive is 50.6.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/seat/leon-2005/16-tdi-ecomotive

As OP says I have noticed at motorway speeds the difference between crusing around 60-70 and anything over 70 or pushing it at higher speeds is significant.

johnodeleyo

Jan 14, 2018
I had a 1.6 tdi ecomotive and got 500 miles per tank without trying. I never had the emissions fix applied. If the fix has already been done, its probably worth considering a good pereco remap - that doesn't strain the engine and clutch too much.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.