Leon Mk2 wiper spindles.

Jun 27, 2021
Hi there

I was hoping someone could help or offer some advice. My wife's 2007 Seat Leon had been in for a strut repair a number of months ago (I usually do stuff like this myself and wish I had have as they knackered a lot of other things in the process). Since then the wipers had occasionally fouled each other. I knew the garage would have taken the passenger/nearside wiper off to get access to the strut nuts. I have only now had the chance to have a look at what may be wrong. It would appear initially that the wiper nut on the passenger side had been overtightened and broke the spindle. The wiper was just sitting on top of the spacer and spindle. I ordered a new linkage for that model and was an easy enough job fitting it.
The problem is that the spindle appears to short to accommodate the rectangular spacer and then the wiper on top. The top of the spindle is just about 2 mm about the wiper arm when fitted. ....too short to get a nut on. My thoughts now are that the garage possibly damaged the spindle by shearing, got another one from a scrapper to make good, this one was the wrong one but they thought sod it...it will do. I ordered the new one going by the OE number on the part.
I have had a look at the drivers side and there is a difference of about 5 mm in the length of the spindles. The drivers one is about 5 mm longer than both the one that I think the garage botched on and on the replacement new one that I ordered. Definitely something not right somewhere and starting to think that I am being a bit dopey.

Would really appreciate any thoughts on the above.
Thanks

Dan-FR

Jul 25, 2020
Leicester
Sounds as you're on to the right track. It is really common that people snap the passenger spindal as they're usually a left handed thread with a different coloured nut. The passenger (if I remember correctly) has a black nut and drivers is silver to mark which is which. If your passenger wiper isn't a left hand thread anymore, then it is quite possible the motor has been replaced.

Jun 27, 2021
Thank you Dan. The replacement I ordered which was for the passenger side has the same length of spindle as the passenger side that I had removed. They are both normal RH threads. Are the passengers side definitely always LH thread. Starting now to thing that the new part I bought is incorrect.

What confuses me is the spindle length. The original drivers side spindle is definitely about 5 mm longer and no problems getting nut spacer etc on. Got me confused :)

I have attached a couple of pictures. The driver side with the nut on... The passenger side with the new mechanism with no nut on as I cant get a nut to go on due to the spindle not being long enough.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20210627_182954.jpg
    20210627_182954.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210627_183006.jpg
    20210627_183006.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210627_183033.jpg
    20210627_183033.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 102

Dan-FR

Jul 25, 2020
Leicester
As a windscreen fitter, I've not across a mk2 leon or an altea yet that's not left hand thread on the passenger side. Hence how they usually get snapped off. It would seem the new spindle you have is for a standard type of wiper that doesn't have a spacer. Most wipers doesn't have that spacer shim

Jun 27, 2021
Thanks again Dan... suppose being a windscreen fitter you will be seeing them all the time. Do you know which Seat Leons have the spacer shim fitted. The wipers on this park vertically if you get my meaning. I thought all the MK2's were like that....or do some have a spacer and a version of arm and some dont. It had crossed my mind just to now buy a new arm that will fit onto that spindle.

Thanks again for your help...thankfully with working from home she does not need the car so often but needs sorted sometime..

Cheers mate..appreciated.

Dan-FR

Jul 25, 2020
Leicester
No problem at all, what I meant was 99% of other cars don't have the spacers. They're an after thought design to add lateral adjustment, so your wiper can be brought closer or further away from the edge of the screen. They're also found on some land-rover vehicles and some bmws (just for some useless information) if the spindle you have is definitely too short and a standard thread, is it possible your garage could have used a spindle off of a completely different car? Mk1 leon, a golf or even a Ford Mondeo

Dan-FR

Jul 25, 2020
Leicester
How did you get on mate? It crossed my mind for you to get a second hand mechanism for the passenger side off of ebay or a scrap yard. They're priced reasonably online, but the biggest problem being most used passenger mechs for sale have a snapped off spindle due to the above conversation I'd of guessed!

Jun 27, 2021
Morning Dan...thanks for asking and thanks again for all your help. Really appreciated.

I ended up buying a secondhand motor and linkage via ebay from quite local. Called for it as I wanted to make sure that it was the right one. All good that side. Kept my old motor as I know it is fine and changed the linkage. All up and working perfect now. As it turned out the replaces which was from the nearside (which I wanted) did have a normal right hand thread. Anyway...the whole thing is working perfect and just about to list the motor I dont need on Ebay. It will probably end up costing me next to nothing but the main thing is that the car is sorted.

Just need to go and kick this garages a## about the whole thing. Disgraceful to just send a car out with a wiper sitting with no attachement via a nut. Not good on the M1 in heavy rain in the overtaking lane when the wiper comes off . Muppets...that they are.

Thanks again sir....

Dan-FR

Jul 25, 2020
Leicester
Glad it's sorted, well that is embarrassing! I stand corrected, I can honestly say I've never come across a leon mk2 with two right handed wipers nuts, but anywhoo least it's sorted.

pedxxx

Nov 23, 2012
I had an issue last week. Car in garage getting MOT. First call to tell me spring coil needs replacing. Second call to tell me the wiper mechanism so corroded it snapped and new mechanism needed. Anyway. Got to the weekend and noticed that the wiper he fixed isn't 'docking' correctly. The top of the wiper was sitting an inch from corner of windscreen. The mechanic is now on holiday. Here is the problem. Like an idiot instead of taking it back to garage I thought I'd adjust it myself. I was unfastening and the spindle sheared. From reading above comments it looks like I was tightening and not loosening if it is a reverse thread. The genuine part is £175 on top of what I have already paid. I can see one on eBay for£36. Obviously I need to check the spindle is intact and the thread is reversed.

How do I actually fit a new one myself? I assume scuttle is removed and that will mean other wiper (which I want to avoid). Anything difficult about it otherwise?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Nah it's a piece of cake, the scuttle is just clipped in so can be pulled out, then the mech and motor can be unbolted. IIRC it's 4 bolts and access is pretty easy.

You might need to move the wipers to the centre docking position to get the mechanism out the hole.

pedxxx

Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit gutted I have broken a brand new part but there is a genuine second hand part nearby for £50. I was just worried about having to take the right hand wiper off to get to scuttle but I assume the thread on this one is normal where the left is reversed?
Was going to say I don't need motor just linkage so hope that makes things easier still. Also will this
serrated block where the wiper sits just pull straight off?

Attachments

• IMG_20210810_123628.jpg
    IMG_20210810_123628.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

pedxxx

Nov 23, 2012
Sorry one last thing. The block doesn't exist on replacement (which I have seen not bought). Assume this must be transferable. Or does it stay in place somehow and spindle is pulled out in a downwards direction?