Leon mk4 e-hybrid front wheels skidding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedemike

Apr 4, 2021
Almost all EV:s can do this, it’s not so hard. And my 450hp is on the back wheels of course. The car change gears with full power (10-speed triple clutch automatic), no problem.
But my Seat can’t handle 204hp.

Deleted member 123864

We shall agree that the truth is out there.

I want my wheels not to skid and simply spin at the limit of the traction, regardless of the position of accelerator. Not so hard, really.
Then stop mashing the accelerator, and drive like a normal person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
We shall agree that the truth is out there.

I want my wheels not to skid and simply spin at the limit of the traction, regardless of the position of accelerator. Not so hard, really.

Although I appreciate that the traction control should work for the odd occasion where you misjudge how hard you press the accelerator on a slippy patch of road, its function isn't to simply allow drivers to full throttle away from a stand still all the time. This doesn't even go into the impact on fuel efficiency, tyre wear, stress on components etc.

The purpose of Traction Control, Stability Control. Parking Sensors etc etc, are all there to support a drivers actions and decision making. They are not there to replace them.

To many people get all these safety devices and think they can drive like idiots as there car will save them, so the safety devices end up having the opposite effect and make drivers worse not better.

I suspect going from petrol and diesel cars where torque builds gradually to an EV which can have 100% torque instantly, means a lot of people will need to adjust how they use the accelerator.

Especially when you consider a lot of these EVs are fitted with less grip efficiency tyres, despite the torque these cars are capable of from a standstill. Add in the fact they're FWD which is not ideal for traction too.

Swedemike

Apr 4, 2021
Or Seat could just adjust traction control like almost every other EV car manufacturer are able to do.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Or Seat could just adjust traction control like almost every other EV car manufacturer are able to do.
Not saying adjusting the traction control isn't necessary. But neither is full throttle from a standstill all the time and relying on the electronics to sort it out.

I may sound harsh,, but if you can't manage the throttle without traction control, you shouldn't be driving, we're not talking about a 1000hp highly tuned car with on/off turbo and no traction control here. That is assuming there isn't a problem with the throttle itself.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
^^ What Damo said.
For years I have driven reasonably powerful RWD cars and I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times the Traction Control light has come on and I don't drive like a granny (no disrespect to grandparents intended :)). Throttle moderation is everything.

Reactions: Damo H

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
^^ What Damo said.
For years I have driven reasonably powerful RWD cars and I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times the Traction Control light has come on and I don't drive like a granny (no disrespect to grandparents intended :)). Throttle moderation is everything.
^^ yep! Also known as feel.
I had a 6.1 litre V12 E39 BMW for many years with 450 bhp and 620nm of torque.
If mashing the throttle TC light completely demented, but judicious throttle use equalled fantastic progress & not too much drama :) ;)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I lit up my wheels tonight in 2nd gear in a 150 tdi audi a3 s-tronic

Too much throttle on a damp road.

izometric

Feb 19, 2021
With brand new tires (Uniroyal Winter Expert), same s**t. I can spin the wheels in place for 2 seconds before the car takes off.

Steeldevil

Jan 13, 2019
Or just used to cars that have good traction control systems.
I've been out in ours this morning and feel the tc system is set just right. If tc kicked in any sooner most drivers would say its too controlling. I think the op needs to develop his driving skills...

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Hey everyone,
We've had a few reports from this thread about the comments and I think the thread has run it's course in terms of the topic being discussed, so we're going to lock it and leave it here.

Reactions: Damo H
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.